torsion bar help

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

torsion bar help

Post by RebelKid1822 »

Okay guys ive gotten myself into a pickle. I have the torsion bars out. keys and bolts are out also. I replace the lower control arms. What is the proper process to get the control arms and keys into the correct position. I did not use the jaw puller for removal of the bars being as the whole front end was apart and there was no tension on the bars. I know the puller will come into play for installation. I just dont know how to clock the control arm or keys. Help guys!!!
Hartleybl
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: torsion bar help

Post by Hartleybl »

Put the bars in ...they are a hex so it doesn't matter how you put them in as long as you put them in drivers side bar on drivers side there should be an arrow on the bar to denote the way it twists and as far as the keys just set them in to where the arm almost is even to the key holder slot it should be a little below the slot with the suspension compressed..used a jack under the a arms on mine then you will need the key tool or a big c-clamp to push it the rest of the way up to slide the holder into the slots
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

Thanks. I got it all back together the other day. Had to assemble the control arms to the hubs, then installed the bars and keys. Used a five ton puller to install torsion key locks. Much safer.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Drivers side bar? All the part numbers I got from GM for these bars were the same for both sides, so it shouldnt matter. If anything maybe the front and rear matters but I do not recall seeing any arrows on mine when I got them. I did not install them though.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
RebelKid1822
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RebelKid1822 »

When new they are the same, but whence they have been installed they need to stay on the same side. Otherwise you will be twisting the barthe opposite direction. This will stress the bar and eventually snap it.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

OK now that makes sense!
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ