Rear brake advice

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

crazycarl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rear brake advice

Post by crazycarl »

So my truck has developed sticky caliper(s) on the rear. This truck has sat for some time with very short drives only every month or so. I drove it about 12 miles yesterday and the passenger rear was burning up and smelled pretty badly, driver side only had a rubbing noise. Guide pins moved fine, just seems the pistons were slacking. I did use e-brake while trailering it after it sat, but cables appear to move fine as well. And also this truck spent the better part of its young life up north.... so what would be my best route?

I am leaning towards ordering rebuild kits, (I haven't seen any mention of rebuilding in caliper threads I've read) any reason I should stay away from that? Should I just go the caliper route?
2002 Crew Cab
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I'd just put remaned calipers with new pads and either resurface your rotors or new ones. I wouldn't mess with rebuilding calipers, seems like an unnecessary hassle. As for the rotors, last time I was going to get some resurfaced, it was just a few bucks more for new ones.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rear brake advice

Post by HenryJ »

If the calipers removed don't have stuck slide pins, perhaps it was badly in need of a fluid change. The fluid takes on water over time and needs to be changed periodically. Thanks for the reminder...it has likely been too long for me too :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
crazycarl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crazycarl »

I bet my brake fluid has a ton of water then. I know I haven't changed it in the 3 years I've owned it. I will add that to the list.
2002 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I live in a desert climate and three years is about right here as long as it has not been overheated. I am betting I am pushing or have exceeded that right now :(

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
crazycarl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crazycarl »

I checked the brake fluid reservoir this morning and it does not look good! So fluid change is probably badly needed, good call HenryJ :thumb:

and I did also order some rebuild kits since they were so cheap and I figured worst case scenario I'm only out 6 bucks.
2002 Crew Cab
crazycarl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crazycarl »

Update:

Rebuilt calipers, new rotors, new brake pads. Bled the system, took it for a test drive, everything felt pretty decent.

I thought bleeding the system again a second time would be good just to be safe and flush more fluid out since it was really crappy and had sentiment in it.... now the brake pedal is soft as can be when applying brakes. Builds pressure and gets solid when engine is off, but turn it on and drive, it is soft til end of pedal range.

Have not seen any leaks to speak of yet around replaced parts.
2002 Crew Cab
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

crazycarl wrote:Update:

Rebuilt calipers, new rotors, new brake pads. Bled the system, took it for a test drive, everything felt pretty decent.

I thought bleeding the system again a second time would be good just to be safe and flush more fluid out since it was really crappy and had sentiment in it.... now the brake pedal is soft as can be when applying brakes. Builds pressure and gets solid when engine is off, but turn it on and drive, it is soft til end of pedal range.

Have not seen any leaks to speak of yet around replaced parts.
I had this same thing while driving yesterday 4 July. No fireworks, as in crashing or such but, did strip a bleeder. Can a stripped bleeder be repaired or is a caliper replacement needed ? Also wonder why the soft brake peddle ? This happened right after tire rotation , nothing even touched on any brake. :shock:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN