Transfer Case Switch

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Transfer Case Switch

Post by okaussiee »

Have a question.

Does anyone else but Dorman make the vacuum transfer case switch??

On my 2002 CC I have been replacing mine about every two years due to it going bad and sucking fluid into the vacuum lines.

I am getting mine back from the shop this week due to three things, the ecm went bad after 204K miles, a week battery after about 3 years, and the transfer case switch being bad after 2 years.

I would like to find a more reliable vendor in which to get that switch from...

Any help???

TIA

Bill
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Transfer Case Switch

Post by HenryJ »

I purchased mine from GM. Not sure if that is "better" :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

All the ones I have seen are in the "HELP" display in the autoparts stores. They are all the Dorman variety.

My mechanic told me Friday that they are having a hard time in finding good replacement parts these days.

Example,

They purchased a Rebuilt ECM for my truck and it wouldn't even start. They had to find a new Delphi one for it to work and they said it started right up and was easy to program after that.

Another example, they told me that the radiator has a leak in it. I just replaced it two to three years ago. It was one purchased at Advance Auto Parts. Found out the only kind I can get is one just like that one, part plastic part aluminum. Can't find an all aluminum one that would last longer and could be repaired.

I am in luck in my case, Advance has a lifetime warranty and told me to bring it in and they would replace it.

Bill
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The problem is the internal seals compatibility with the fluid. Early switches had the same problems. Dorman may be your only local option if you do not have a GM dealer.
Napa Lists one , but does not list the manufacturer. Might also be Dorman?
GMPartsDirect.com lists one:
Genuine Original Equipment Replacement Parts 2001 Chevrolet S10 ZR5
All Vehicles - 2001 - Chevrolet - S10 - ZR5 - TRANSFER CASE - VACUUM SWITCH
Chevrolet Genuine Factory Part
Part Number: 89059420
VACUUM SWITCH S-Series
Fits 2001 Chevrolet S10 ZR5
Online price $34.65 You local GM dealer should be able to match that. Look for the correct color code on it for the revised switch, although I am sure by now they are all the revised version.

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me..." I think I would be looking elsewhere if you have had two failures. I really hate those lifetime warranty deals where their parts are so cheap they can replace them over and over again and still make their profit.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

When I purchased my replacement switch I ended up having the parts store ordering one. They offered the one in the "Help" section and then there was another that was order only. Can't remember who made it, but the cost was at least twice as much and I got questioned why I wanted that one when the other one was the "same". My thoughts were there had to be something different to warrant a different part number and price for it. 5 years later still no issues.

I do agree with your statement about part quality though. It is getting harder and harder to find quality aftermarket parts. With everything being shipped overseas for the lowest price possible quality has taken a huge hit.
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

I totally agree with the quality.

When I get my CC back on Wednesday, I am going to replace the radiator. Then I will start looking for the transfer case switch, radiator, etc from other vendors to see what, if any, is out there. If I have to spend more money for better quality, then so be it. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Wish we could still get parts MADE IN THE USA, vs, China. Their quality sucks and we, as a country, have to put up with it.

I would be willing to pay more for a product made in the Good Old USA.

Bill
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

By the way, I live in Moore, Oklahoma, ground ZERO for tornadoes and have alot of GM Choices here.

Bill
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

okaussiee wrote:By the way, I live in Moore, Oklahoma, ground ZERO for tornadoes and have alot of GM Choices here.

Bill
If you find a donor flipped over, it might be easy to liberate a good switch ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

Good thought. But it would be 50/50 at best it would be something NOT made by Dorman..

Bill