GL-5 or GL-4

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Bluewasp
Regular
Regular

GL-5 or GL-4

Post by Bluewasp »

Can I use GL-5 in the locking rear (RPO G80). The other thread mentions GL-4 but I can only find GL-5 80w-90...

thanks

Robert
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: GL-5 or GL-4

Post by quickbiker »

Bluewasp wrote:Can I use GL-5 in the locking rear (RPO G80). The other thread mentions GL-4 but I can only find GL-5 80w-90...

thanks

Robert

As long as it's slipery!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i thought the gl4 was for open diffs
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, I think 5 is what ya want. 5 is good for everything.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Bluewasp
Regular
Regular

Re: GL-5 or GL-4

Post by Bluewasp »

quickbiker wrote:
Bluewasp wrote:Can I use GL-5 in the locking rear (RPO G80). The other thread mentions GL-4 but I can only find GL-5 80w-90...

thanks

Robert

As long as it's slipery!

the bottle says no additive required... Can I run it without the GM additive?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Helms manual - Lubricants for rear axle :

With RPO G80 1052271 only

Without RPO G80 (open diff) 1052271 or SAE 80W-90 GL5

GM Vehicle care Axle Lubricant SAE 80W-90

*excellent axle durability

1#1052271

Gr.8.800

23 fl.oz.

"Gm axle lubricant exceeds API GL-4 requirements and has been formulated specifically for use in certian GM axles as specified. Not all products labeled GL-4 will provide satisfactory service.

*excellent axle durability

*Compatible with limited slip fiction modifiers

*Compatable with seals/elastomers"

Contains : Petroleum oil (gear oil) - CAS 64742-65-0

I don't have a good answer. I'm using this ^

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

About how many bottles do you use?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MikeyZR5 wrote:About how many bottles do you use?
Rear axle = 1.7L or 1.8 qt

The bottles from GM (part#1052271) are 23 oz. or .680L

So you will need 2.5 bottles.

They find their ways to get you ;) You have to buy three bottles instead of two, and only use 1/2 of the third bottle :!:

If you find a good price, buy five bottles and you're good for the next change :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Is there any other fluids that we can use instead of the GM one. Like a Synthetic..?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

What's the big craze with synthetic these days? When I did the craze years ago, that stuff gave me nothing but troubles. So now I just stick with the blue light special stuff, all problems gone. :D
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

No craze...just considering any options.
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

So....Any other products that are good to use? :lol:
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

quickbiker wrote:What's the big craze with synthetic these days? When I did the craze years ago, that stuff gave me nothing but troubles. So now I just stick with the blue light special stuff, all problems gone. :D

I think it really depends on the vehicle. If the vehicle has been using regular oil it's whole life, no reason to change and probably no benefit.

But with some vehicles, IMHO I think it works well. My Trooper I have been using Mobil1 since the first oil change. Mine appears to be losing no oil compared to some who say they loose higher than normal oil loss. Also, on some OHV engines, they make Ticking sounds which can be cleared up with 0w30 mobil1(Isuzu TSB states this as the cleaning method on the Rodeo) so there has got to be some advantage to using Syn.

But on my Crew, I'm using the regular stuff so far. Why, This engine has been around for a while so the design and tolerances probably won't benefit from syn oil. As for my trooper, it appears the tolerances are much tighter which benefits from Syn. oils.

BTW, there is regular oil in 5w30 which might negate the benefits of Syn Oils(that was their biggest advantage was to have a wide range like 5w/30 and 0w30).

So I'm using Syn in one and regular in another(engine oil that is). But if money is no object, I would use Syn in all fluids cause there is some advantages to using Syn oil. I'm changing over to Syn oil on my motorcycle at the next oil change as I was reading a cycle mag report on an oil review and I can see some benefits that might help my air-cooled engine. BTW, my engine shares the oil between the engine and tranny like many motorcycles. If you don't know this either, there is different Oil Standards for Cycles and the Mag report did a breakdown test even between same brand auto and cycle oils and there were difference in content. Very Interesting as I thought it was more a marking plow than actual differences.

Your milage will vary..... ;)

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Cool...How about other GL-5 fluids? Has anyone used anything other than the GMC one?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

LOL, getting back on the subject now. I'm not sure. But I think I will be doing it soon, since I'm tired of paying for the GM stuff and I got alot of GL5 I've piled up through the years I gotta use up. I'll let ya know. But I'm not caring much about my rear diff lately, as I am tire of it slipping when I need it and am seriously thinking of getting the Detroit C locker.