Low Profile Tires/ Lowering

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

We all know how big of tire you can fit and how high to lift. Whats the lowest profile tire you can but on with out any alterations also, how low can a crew cab be lowered?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think it would be much the same as the lift. How low do you want to go? And how much modifying to you want to do?

The rear is simple , Lowering blocks, raise spring mounts, drop leafs, de-arch springs, etc.

The front not as easy since it is 4x4 ,back off the adjusters, maybe reindex the "pork chops"

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:reindex the "pork chops"
and put barbque sauce on it :lol:

lowering is against all morals and ethnics on this site :evil:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I think at s10planet.com, a few over there have lowered a 4wd s10.

I've done it to a 2wd pickup with t-bars so it should be similar. just don't know how the cv joints will like it though. But you should be able to just be able to get atleast 1-2" down by backing out the t-bar. And just using blocks in the rear.

As for tiring sizing, I would def. not go with shorter tires as it makes your speedo faster which would put more miles on your speedo than what you are really doing.

Check out this site for tire size comparing:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

IIRC, there are only two sizes from the factory you can get for the crew:

235/75-15 and 235/70-15

255/55-18 would be just a tad larger than 235/75-15(only .6% difference which would probably be the diff. between a worn out tire and new I bet.

235/55-18 would be just a tad larger than 235/70-15.

tirerack.com has a GUI that you can put the s10 up there and put diff. rims on it.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

I've had a few people that thought it would be neat to see a lowered 4x4 crew cab. Since GM offers a lowered 2wd I was just wondering what it would take, it would be different thing to do to a 4x4. My coworker is kind of wondering to he also has a crew cab. He doesn't want to miss up the warranty.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I have explored the possibility of lowering my crew cab. Mainly it would be for handling in my case. After installing the rear sway bar & finding the front sway bar links weren't tightened when new, adding 16x8 wheels & Yokahama 235-70x16 tires I wouldn't lower it now. The handling is now far superior than stock. I'm afraid if I crank out the T-bars It may ride mushy (nothing worse than a boaty riding truck).

Did I ever get blasted on another forum for asking the same question you are. We then got into a discussion about individuality and the vehicles we drive. I had to come back with something like if we didn't mod our vehicles the way we want, we'd all be driving the same thing. Think about it the Extreme never would have come to be. :wink:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Wrager

Post by Wrager »

I have 275/55/17 without any rubbing.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Wrager wrote:I have 275/55/17 without any rubbing.

hey wes, so whatch do with that 72 camero? drag, street, junker??? steven will buy it from you . or i will if you dont wont it anymore :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]