Bilstein Shocks

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:The Monroe shocks are very decent, although I don't know if they would be better than Bilsteins or not as far as technology is concerned
They are not.
I run some Monroe Gas Magnums and the NAPA Gas Grande in the fleet. Both are adequate shocks. The fleet trucks get abused and do not warrant Bilsteins cost.
Both are much firmer and don't offer the nice ride of a Bilstein.
Put the two side by side and the Bilsten wins hands down for performance.
In a place where frequent changes are needed due to external damage, or if you are not going to keep it long, then Monroe, NAPA shocks or any decent gas charged shock is leaps and bounds better than the stock shocks. If you don't mind changing shocks every couple years and like the ride, Monroes are a good choice. Swapping over the counter and a local dealer has its advantages.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I dunno, I may go ahead and try the Bilsteins since I've seen alot
of folks rave about them being so good.

I do like the idea of paying once for shocks and never having to
pay again. The Monroes have always done a decent job for me,
so I didn't mind being "cheap" on this particular part since they're
offering lifetime replacement warranty.

But, if I go with the Bilsteins and they need replacing at some
point I guess I'll find out if they'll replace them due to normal
wear and not really being defective in any way.

Of course if they still feel good at 60k, 80k, and/or beyond
I guess I should not complain since you gotta figure I got
my money's worth by then.

I have to admit that I've always wondered if Bilsteins are better
performing shocks since I've heard so many guys over the
years swear up and down that they do...so I guess I'll have
to put a set on and try 'em to find out for myself and not
worry about the warranty thing.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:if I go with the Bilsteins and they need replacing at some
point I guess I'll find out if they'll replace them due to normal
wear ...
On your 2wd S-10 you will never wear them out. I give them much more of a work out on a 4x4 and towing than you will ever see.

Nothing wrong with a Monroe if you like that ride. I think you would find the difference in ride noticeable. Kind of like going from a 3/4T Ford work truck to a big Cadillac.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Right. I rarely use mine to haul anything as it
isn't a work truck.

Mine seems fairly stiff with new Monroes.
Of course, that was on my '96 that I just got rid of.

My '03 that I'm driving now still have the stock
shocks and I just turned over 90k.

They don't feel that much different that the '96
when I had just put new Monroes on it.

I guess I'll just have to experience it for myself.

Got several maintenance things to do before getting
on to shocks, but I may as well try the Bilsteins

Going from a going from a 3/4T Ford work truck to a big Cadillac would be a nice switch!
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Well, I got my shocks on today.
It does sit higher!! The back sits higher big time. I have read here somewhere they don't raise it any. I'm telling you guys it does set higher.
Will it drop back down when I drive it more? I drove it about 10 miles and it does ride nice but it still jacked up.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sounds odd to me. Maybe Brule has an answer but, if, they are not bottomed out then your ride should be stock hgt. Maybe a couple of days will break them in for you. They shouldn't affect hgt though.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Did you mount them upside down? The reduction in sprung weight from the shock body and oil being mounted upside down could account for a difference.
The rear shocks must be mounted inverted so that the weight of the shock body and fluid hold the truck down to the proper ride height.

;)

Drive it. If you did actually get a rise out of it , your stock shocks must have bee really bad. The gas charge is not really enough to offer a substantial raise. If you are not happy with it , there may be ways to lower your truck. Jim may have recommendations.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

The back shocks only can go one way. The front shocks boots up. Back shocks boots down. The back raised up more that the front. It rides good and I like the lift but I don't understand the lift..
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!