Yokohama Geolandar AT II plus

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Yokohama Geolandar AT II plus

Post by HenryJ »

I know Melloyellow is running them. (are you still out there?)
How are they doing?
How many miles on them now?

I've heard discouraging comments about them as they wear. Things like... "Out of round" , "accellerated tread wear" , "mushy sidewalls", etc.

Any input?

I'm going to be putting new shoes on my truck this year and I'm considering all the alternatives. I like the Geolandar M/T's , but would like another 10k in mileage out of my tires if possible.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HELLO?..................Hal..oh...oh....oh......oh.........

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

he's out, can i take a message :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Boy , I just can't get anyone to give me any information on tires that I am considering :mad:

I'm going to need new tires this summer and ...summer is getting close!

The Geolandar M/T's are good but I'd like to get some more mileage out of a set of tires.

The Goodyear MT/R's have been working well on the fleet rigs , but no one here is willing to fill me in on their experiences. They are signifigantly more expensive too.

If I knew how the tread wear on Bennie's truck was fairing , I would have my mind made up.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I've seen a couple trail rigs with the MT/R's and they seem to wear really well. The set i saw last November had around 10K on them I think and they looked brand new. They're probably what I'm going to get next.

My Dunlops were OK at first, but they got way out of balance, maybe even out of round, after 15K-20K miles. After getting tired of my whole truck shaking, I took them in to get balanced and they added 2 of the large size and one of the medium size weights to each wheel...now that's WAAAY out of balance.

I've always wanted to try the Kumho MT's, but I don't have any first hand info on them. I had Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's on my Z28 and they were great, so I assume the MT's would be good too. But like I said, no first hand info.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

MTR's rock!!!! they arent too heavy either :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

My buddy has 35" goodyear mt/r's on his yota. they have about 15,000 on them and look like they have maybee half of that. verry nice tire imo :)
2001 pewter crew She's for sale
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

SO :roll: is mellow yellow still around? Maybe he sold the old CC..
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:SO :roll: is mellow yellow still around? Maybe he sold the old CC..
Maybe he did?

HELLO?..................Hal..oh...oh....oh......oh........

I'm still tire shopping and really tempted to try the Geo. AT's (price- $90)

MTR's are still way over priced to be in the running. The MTR's would have to go over 60k to make them break even for the difference in price ($153).

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Well , I researched several options (Revo, Bigfoot AT, Goodyear MTR, Dunlops, MT baja radials, Parnelli dirt tires, Cooper, BFG AT KO, Pirelli Scorpions) and kept coming back to the Geolandar ATII+

Price. (that's about all I can say)

Ordered them through Summitracing. $412 delivered. Mount and balance is no big deal since I can do that myself.

I guess that I'll find out for myself how they last and perform :roll:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is about time to update this thread!

I am no longer the only one running these tires. Mellowyellow has since moved on to an Avalanche, but I know there are a few more that might offer their thoughts.

At first they did feel a little "mushy" or unstable while cornering. Either I have become accustomed to it, or that "feeling" improved with a little use. They feel like they handle just fine now.

I don't have a ton of miles on them (close to 5000mi.), but I finally have had some varying conditions on which to report.

On dry roads they work well with little road noise. There is a noticeable increase in noise during left hand cornering due to the non-directional tread design.

They have been performing well in the gravel, and do not pick up rocks bad at all.

Wet traction is good too.

We finally have a little snow around here, and these tires provide remarkable lateral stability on the slick icy conditions. They really surprise me on how well they corner and grip the road in these adverse conditions.
They are acceptable for straight line performance in the ice/snow, but don't get moving quite as well as I might expect. This is easily remedied by putting it in 4 hi :D

I have had several people approach me to ask about my tires. They do look good.

So far I am very pleased, if the mileage holds up, they will be my next set too :thumb:
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I also am running the Geos and have about 5000 miles on them , on dry they are great and like Hj said not much noise on wet roads you really gotta get into it to spin them and I wish we would get some snow so I can see how the do I drive almost 150-200 miles per day mon-fri and so far I have to say I would buy them again .I paid $397.00 shipped from Tiresavings.com
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

'bout 6k miles in and still no complaints. dry, wet, snow/ice they're holding up terrifically and performing like new.
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

Well Henry, since you like to put the OWL in I'd say get the Yokos. I've heard good things about them but IMO, their lettering sucks. I haven't crossed over to the darkside and I still like OWL out so to Revo's are what I prefer. 8)

[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

the yoko look just fine white out Image
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

and even better with OWL out on black rims :D

JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

I don't like the lettering, it's not as big a font as the Deulers. I put Yokos on my chrome summer wheels but put the black out.

[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

A friend of mine at work just put a new set of Yokos on his 02 Silverado today. He went through 2 sets on his F-150.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:It is about time to update this thread!
...So far I am very pleased, if the mileage holds up, they will be my next set too :thumb:
Another update.
I sold these tires to the company that I work for! They will be replacing the Geolandar M/T's that I am finishing up.

The M/T's are about gone finally. The last bit of tread lasts a very long time. They were a good tire , but definitely under 40k for mileage.

The Geolandar AT+II's are still a great tire, and if they made the size that I needed , I would still be running them. Fortunately I will be able to enjoy running them on my work vehicle now :mg: The testing continues.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

HJ did you decide no on the mt baja radial's for a reason? I was looking at them for the bronco or the cc .
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just about finished with the Yokohama Geolandar AT+II tires. Looks like they almost made four years. That is not too bad. The last year they were getting pretty slippery. There is some uneven wear and they are somewhat noisier. Three are or have been on the tread bars. I would estimate mileage was around the 40,000 mile mark. That was what I had hoped for initially.

They did a good job. They are no longer available as this design was discontinued. I do not care for the current tread design of the Yokohama AT and this truck will be finishing out a set of the 33 inch BFGs, starting in the next couple weeks. :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My Geolanders are still alive and well on a Jeep YJ. They still have a lot of tread left and my coworker that I siold them to is quite pleased. I think that it was an overlooked and under rated tire. I always look at the Yokos first when tire shopping.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]