Ordering wheel spacers / adapters ( comparison and review )

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I am looking to keep in the same track as well, according to my track widths I need 1" in the front and 1.5" in the back to line it up within .1" of space. That way I can also clear wider tires in the future.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Yup. My truck is now within .1 of exact with the 1" spacer on each side. Originally was 2.1" narrower in the rear.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yes originally mine was about that as well. Exact measurements now after cranking the torsion bars is 1.1" wider in the front over rear. I want to close that gap in. I can't get .5" spacers for the rear and the smallest that will fit is 1" so 1" on the front and 1.5" on the back will close that gap in.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Sounds like a plan to me! 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

So any idea where I can get some 1.5s?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Got mine off of E-Bay. I'm sure you can find some there with a little looking. I did. I've seen all different sizes on there from different sources.

Did a quick search on E-Bay and found 1.5" spacers for $66.99 or so with free shipping.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I have been waiting 4 days for CompleteValue to answer a question for me. Im not gonna buy from a fellow who can't take the time to help a customer.

I was searching and found CJ Bargains. Killian has a good review on em here. But im seeing their spacers only go up to 2.5", I want 3".... Think I would ever notice a differance?

Plus if I roder the 1.25 and 2.5 spacers from CJ Bargains, they will be about $15 bucks cheaper then through complete value, they use "12MM X 1.5 Pressed-in Studs GRADE 8 HARDENED STEEL" (seems to be an upgrade since killian ordered)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Completevalue took a long time to answer my email too. I would buy from him again though.

What was your question? Maybe we can answer?

Check the OD, as long as that is the same, I think you are good to go.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

My question (to both of them) is reguarding the OD. As well as a shipping question to complete value since one is free shipping, and the other isnt, and when you buy two add $6 to combined shipping as stated in the auction. lol.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Completevalue is the bigger OD and they will be just fine quality wise. I have seen four sets personally and all were of equal quality.
Can't help you on the shipping charges. Patience would be my advice. You don't NEED them today. Give it a couple weeks.
Slow down and enjoy life. That money won't burn a hole in your pocket.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:Completevalue is the bigger OD and they will be just fine quality wise. I have seen four sets personally and all were of equal quality.
Can't help you on the shipping charges. Patience would be my advice. You don't NEED them today. Give it a couple weeks.
Slow down and enjoy life. That money won't burn a hole in your pocket.
Agreed, but thats not how you run a buisness.

Once I get a reply from both of em, I think I might get the 1.25 from CJ Bargains, and the 3" from CompleteValue, I am not gonna loose on shipping costs, they are both free shipping on the 1.25". (Assuming they are both 6.5" OD)
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well finally got a reply from one of the three ebay sellers I contacted. but they didnt reply to my e-bay message, but rather a message I sent to their e-mail, when I by chance found their website. (unless they saw they were probably the same and didnt reply to the ebay one). Either way, dissapointing the other two never got back to me.

Eitehr way I ordered a srt of 1.25 spacers from rigged.up on ebay. They said their spacers are 6.45" OD. :roll: Close enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0363446193

Even though it doesnt say S10, its the same size, I bought those 3" ones, and a set of 1.25". Grade 8 studs, they have 100% positive feedback. Im thinking they are gonna be good ones. Ill post again once they arrive.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

beedle4 wrote: Lug Centric- Are loose around the center and use your lug studs to center them...

Hub centric- Are tight fitting around the hub having the same inner surface as you FACTORY wheels...

Wheel centric- Are always hub centric, BUT they extend the same inner lip out so that you FACTORY wheels will ride on it...

So if you have aftermarket wheels 99.9% of the time they are lug centric too, so no need to spend the few extra bucks on other spacers...

If you have factory wheels, or factory spec (vette, camaro, firebird) they all have the same inner hub bore. So you can run the hub/wheel centric if you wish.

But either way people run both all the time with no issues, just make sure and check them once and a while for torque.

Either way you go best bet to make sure they are on correctly is put the lugs on hand tight first making sure they are all in there seat, then torque them to spec in the star pattern and ur good to go...

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just ordered wheel spacers from Airbagit.com

They were very good with communication. They use 7" billet stock.
uswheeladapters.comuses 6" and others I checked use 6.25"
Tough to find the big billet stock being used.

I ordered from Airbagit.com. It turns out they are AIM. That made me feel better as I have their spacers on the front of my truck. I was told custom orders ship in 48 hours. That seems fast. We will see.

I will see how these look when they arrive. A little more expensive at $89 each but I hope worth it. uswheeladapters was $80 each.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

I have used Fred @ http://www.wheeladapter.com/ for years. Top notch guy, and I like having hub centric 2 hub centric adapters.

Only down side is price, but you get a high qaulity part.
Joey
4WD Crew Cab, just not an S-10 anymore ;)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MoJoe wrote:I have used Fred @ http://www.wheeladapter.com/
I filled out the request form, but received no response.
Actually, I contacted four different manufacturers. Of those only two responded back.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

HenryJ wrote:
MoJoe wrote:I have used Fred @ http://www.wheeladapter.com/
I filled out the request form, but received no response.
I'll try again.
Really? He called me back the same day, sometimes within the hour from day one. Hopefully everything is ok with him.

Well worth it in the end.
Joey
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MoJoe wrote:Really? He called me back the same day...
what is the OD of his billet stock? How much $$ were they? How long did they take from order to ship?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

HenryJ wrote:what is the OD of his billet stock? How much $$ were they? How long did they take from order to ship?
I will have to measure them this week, they are as wide or a bit wider than the rims mounting surface, but I will get you a better measurement.

Price with have them hub2hub centric was $195 shipped for two. Having the hub centric lip on the adapter added I think $25 to them.

Shipping took about a week from the West Coast to Maryland.

You might want to call his line, he is a blast to talk to :D

Good luck, and post up if you get all in order.
Joey
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Airbagit.com wheel spacers arrived today. They (AIM) are still using the larger 1/2" NFT wheel studs. The billet stock is indeed 7". This has the wheel adapters 1/2" larger diameter than the wheel mating surface. The extra meat on the outside is a good thing.

I still see "completevalue" ebay wheel spacers as the best bang for the buck. I will not hesitate to use AIM / Airbagit.com again for custom jobs though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Re: Ordering wheel spacers / adapters ( comparison and revie

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

I was looking a 2.25'' spacers for the back and 1'' in front would this make the wheels even. I was told not to get 3'' because thats to much stress on the wheel.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MinnesotaMudder wrote:...I was told not to get 3'' because thats to much stress on the wheel.
Sounds like someone is mis-informed. Next time ask them if a 7" wheel with 4" backspacing is a problem too then.
I think you will find lots of wheels with less.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

The guy i talked to runs a offroad truck accessory shop, they are the ones that put my lift kit on my truck, but sometimes i do wonder if he knows what he is talking about. Now to go back to my original question would the 2.25 spacers in the rear and the 1'' spacers in the front make the wheels even.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The track difference is 2.1", however our Isuzu fender bulges make the rear look narrower. An extra inch wider in the rear really makes it look right and matches the depth of the wheel set in the front fender opening.
It is magnified by those of us who have flares.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

i asked the local 4x4 shop how much 1.5'' spacers would cost and he said $65 for one. I thought that was high price. I have been looking online and found a couple different ones for $65-$85 a pair, but not sure what one to get. Can anyone point me to the right webpage for 1.5'' spacers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Search ebay for seller completevalue

They are linked here as well as on the first page.

They have 1.25" , 2" , 2.5" and 3" IIRC

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

If i get a 1.5" spacer in the back will that affect how much i can tow with the truck?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't see how. All the wheel adapters do is adjust the rear spacing of the wheel.
If you change wheels does it affect how much you can tow? I don't think so.

If it will ease your mind , I towed plenty with 3" rear wheel adapters.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Silentmerx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Silentmerx »

I know this is bring it back up from the dead (almost 2 years) I have talked with wheel/tire places, local 4x4 shops and some of the lifted chevy guys in my area and all of them say stay away from spacers/adapters. They really can't say why, though. I am just looking at 1.25" from completevalue on ebay for my 31x10.50/15 with stock wheels. So I shouldn't have a problem right HenryJ and why would they say stay away.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

There are 2 types of wheel spacers. There are the flat metal discs that have wheel stud holes drilled in them that are mounted in between the hub and wheel, and there are the aluminum spacers with lug nut holes and wheel studs pressed in that are mounted to the hub and then the wheel is mounted to the spacer. The disc type puts too much stress on the factory wheel studs which can result in broken studs. The aluminum spacers with there own studs are very reliable and safe as long as you keep all of the lug nuts tight. There are several guys in our B-body club who run spacers/adapters on road courses with no problems. If they can handle the stress and load of a 4200 lb car being thrown around on a sticky track, I'm sure they are perfectly safe for everything except drag racing.

The only problem with any type of spacer that moves the wheel centerline away from the mounting flange is increased bearing wear due to uneven load distribution on the bearing. Some may argue this, but it has been a proven fact for a long time, not to mention it's simple physics. The 1-2 inch spacers that most people are using on the CC's aren't going to hurt the bearings or accelerate wear a noticeable amount. It really isn't any different than using wheels with 1-2 inches less backspacing.

I'm not aware of any members here or over at the Impala forum who have experienced any failures using the aluminum wheel spacers/adapters.

One thing I do recommend is putting a very thin layer of grease on the back side of the aluminum spacer before you mount it to the hub. This will prevent a natural chemical reaction between steel and aluminum from occurring. This should also be done with any aluminum wheel that is mounted to a steel hub, just make sure you don't put any grease on the wheel studs.

Steve
Silentmerx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Silentmerx »

Thanks Killian, now is there a certain type for the CC's? like Hub centric or Wheel centric or both?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Our axles and wheels are hub centric. If you have a choice, hub centric is nice. I have run both and both work well. If I can get hub centric, I will choose that.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Still running my 1" rear spacers on both rear wheels. No problems or issues. I have the hub centric spacers which I bought and installed in Dec 07. Got em on e-bay. 8) Just an fyi most all of my driving since installation has been on very rough country roads here locally in bad weather.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I have a set of 3inch rear spacers and 1inch fronts I took off my crew before I sold it. They were hub centrist ones from CompleteValue still in good shape if anyone is looking for a deal on a set. They need a bit of cleaning but are otherwise in great shape.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Silentmerx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Silentmerx »

HenryJ, so the ones sold by completevalue on ebay will work right.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like them. If He has the size you need, they are a great product.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Silentmerx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Silentmerx »

I am just looking for the 1.25" for the rears. Is his having the OD we need for the trucks?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes. His have been the bigger OD billet stock. They fit the wheel face nicely.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

So I am about to order some wheel spacers from Completevalue and I was wondering if I am looking at the right ones.
I added a link to show the ones that I am looking at. I want to make sure because the add says ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Corvette- ... es&vxp=mtr
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those will work. Those are the same as a pair that I bought.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nolag24
Regular
Regular

Post by nolag24 »

I just received the 1.25" spacers from completevalue and they are no longeg using 6.5" diameter stock. Mine measured at 6.125" and are definitely smaller than the mounting surface of the wheel. I will be trying to send them back within the next day or so if I can get them to refund my money. I am not sure why this has changed but it may be a deal breaker!
2003 ZR-5, 30x9.50 Firestone AT, 1.25" Rear spacers, 1" TB Lift, 1.5" Rear shackle lift, Bilstein shocks, posi-lok system, Raider camper, spray on bedliner, vent visors, K&N Filter w/ air box and TB mod, ACCEL ignition.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The smaller stock may be OK as long as there is enough meat on the outside. The problems showed up when the studs were torqued and they distorted / swelled the billet.
Things change. I guess if you have to spend more, look for hubcentric.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nolag24
Regular
Regular

Post by nolag24 »

Spacer/adapter vendor update:
Completevalue (ebay) confirmed with Dwight that he only has spacers that are 6.125" in diameter. After having test fit a set, I feel they are too small for the stock wheels. Perhaps if you are using aftermarket wheels with a smaller mounting face, they may work.

CJBargins (ebay) confirmed 6.3" diameter stock (160 mm) and grade 8 hardware, 12mm x 1.5" studs (same as stock).

USWheeladapters.com has 2 options for diameter (6" and 7") and a hubcentric option and grade 8 hardware.

Still waiting to confirm diameters from "riggedup", "ezaccessory" (both ebay stores) and wheeladapter.com.
2003 ZR-5, 30x9.50 Firestone AT, 1.25" Rear spacers, 1" TB Lift, 1.5" Rear shackle lift, Bilstein shocks, posi-lok system, Raider camper, spray on bedliner, vent visors, K&N Filter w/ air box and TB mod, ACCEL ignition.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Given a choice , hub-centric is nice.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nolag24
Regular
Regular

Post by nolag24 »

ezaccessory (ebay vendor) just confirmed they are using 6" OD Stock and Grade 8 studs.

riggedup (ebay vendor) just confirmed 6.45" OD stock with 12 mm x 1.5" grade 8 studs. Sounds like this may be a good possibility in the $120 (per pair) price range. These appear to be the same quality as some of the higher priced options (airbagit.com, wheeladapter.com) without the hubcentric option.
nolag24
Regular
Regular

Post by nolag24 »

Received the 1.25" spacers from rigged.up (ebay vendor) and they are just as described. 6.45" OD, Grade 8 hardware, very good finish and appears to be a quality product. I was able to install them with no problems. The price was $120 but that was for 4. The price for 2 was the same as for 4 so I figured I could find another home for the 2 extras. Based on my experience with the completevalue product vs the rigged.up product, I would highly recommend rigged.up based on the larger OD and Grade 8 hardware. I think it is a superior product, short of going with a more expensive hubcentric option.
urimashe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by urimashe »

im currently looking for 1.25" spacers on ebay, but im trying to find out if these realy are the right ones, with the 6.45"

these are the two links of what I found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHEELS-ADAPTERS ... 1356704%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Chevy-Wheel-S ... 1356704%26