Question about Bilstein shocks

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Question about Bilstein shocks

Post by Retep »

Why do the Bilstein shocks for our Z85 suspension mount with the boot on the bottom? On the ZR2 they mount boot end up.
I will be getting a set of these (soon I hope), and would prefer to have the boot at the top. Could they be mounted that way? Would ZR2 Bilstein's fit?
Just curious.

Thanks Jim for the use of your picture

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes the zr2 rear shock fits.

and the shock is eye to eye so i believe you can mount it either way...
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

It's a flat 2 bolt bracket at the top and a single bolt and nut at the bottom that goes through. I've never looked close at the ZR2 shocks, so I'm not sure of the difference. Maybe the ZR2's shock mounts are different?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The stock ZR2 shocks have the shield and piston rod at the top , probably because GM specified them to be that way.

The aftermarket shocks have convoluted boots and ...
HenryJ wrote:The rocks kicked up by the front tires tend to bounce off the boots rather than denting the body of a regular shock. And what little dirt that does get inside the boots doesn't settle on the seals so they tend to last longer.
I am pretty sure you should not try running them reversed. They are designed to be run one way only. However they are gas charged so it may be possible , though not recommended, to run them reversed.

Personally I wish all four were inverted, but the fronts are piston-up, probably for upper a-arm clearance?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Thanks for the info guys!
I will stick with the Bilstein's specific to our susp. and mount as designed.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:
Personally I wish all four were inverted, but the fronts are piston-up, probably for upper a-arm clearance?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim you are the detail GOD :bow: :bow: "I am not worthy" :bow: :bow:

(Wish you were closer, I'd love to learn from the master :D )

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Scott03
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Scott03 »

Yeah, damn!!! For a 2002, that looks brand new, good work!!
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

HenryJ wrote:Jim you are the detail GOD :bow: :bow: "I am not worthy" :bow: :bow:

(Wish you were closer, I'd love to learn from the master :D )
I must agree! I sure would like to get the dirty side of my truck that clean again. I am not sure I would have the patience though....

Pete
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I stay confused as most of you know. SO, is the boot "down"" on the rears of CCs?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:I stay confused as most of you know. SO, is the boot "down"" on the rears of CCs?
For the aftermarket heavy duty Bilsteins, Yes.

I like them better inverted for many reasons- Bilstein shocks

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Hmmmmm.

Step back into the the past........maybe just back to 1997. A ZR2 came with Bilstiens that had the rod (metal sleeve covered) upwards. :twisted:

Bilstiens were all metal and without "boots".

The rod part had a metal sleeve and not a boot. Did they redesign the entire shock when they did away with the old fashioned sleeve?

If the boot is down on the rear and on the top on the front of our CCs then maybe a good way to explain their installation is just to make sure that you can read the shock's lettering from the upright position.

That has to be too simple to be correct. I noticed in my installation that you could read the shocks when boot up in front and boot down in the rear.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Shock boots...

Post by KCustom »

My Bilstiens have the boots on the top......Is this a bad thing?

Last edited by KCustom on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

KC! You are the suspension man to follow! Asking mortal questions like mine are unworthy of your rank.......lol
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is just the "heavy duty" rear Bilsteins that are inverted :D
HenryJ wrote:Refering to inverted shocks with convoluted boots:
The rocks kicked up by the front tires tend to bounce off the boots rather than denting the body of a regular shock. And what little dirt that does get inside the boots doesn't settle on the seals so they tend to last longer.
OEM bilsteins are not, as well as other models.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

LOL....

Post by KCustom »

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL......Henry is the Man....I am only a student to the real king of the Crew Cab data base....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

THanks for the info...

Post by KCustom »

Thanks for the information Henry, I was thinking that my shocks were imposters.......:)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Certainly would be nice if, we could track him down and see how the lad is doing. I certainly hope that all is well with him.