question for yeah guys about hieght vs width

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

question for yeah guys about hieght vs width

Post by bubaloo1983 »

im going nuts waiting for my lift to come in...its going to be so sweet! just thought i would say that before i ask my question. im getting the 5 inch lift sometime in the next week, as well i already have a shakcle and t bar crank as well as a body lift....i will them be getting 31 inch tires. after it is all said and done my truck will be like what.....9 inches taller then it was stcok the problem is i am not changing my wheels because i like them however my truck already leans bad and im scrared of a rollover with all teh work done. will wheel spacers help if the track is widened enough or should i really be changing my wheels to a different offset to widen the track?
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

really onle 8" if you have your tbars cranked all the way. 1" of the 5" lift is the tbar crank. and then most people dont crank them all the way cuz they dont wont to wear out their front end prematurely. so, your concern with track width is a real issue. lucikly the truck started real low so 8" really isnt that big of a deal. most people with your lift run 33's or so. but if you are running 31's (which i assume your doing cuz of gear ratio) that means you can run a wider track and still have clearence. on the s-10, those people who try to run as tall as a tire as they can, have to run a skinny tire and keep in tucked under the truck, but you more lift than tire so thats a good thing if you want to go wide.

on that note, spacers will do just fine. though the wider rim would be better for wider tires but not that nesessary.

mabey 3"spacer in the rear and 1.5" in the front???
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Spacers or wheels will work. It is up to you on which you would prefer.

As a rule of thumb you should increase the width as much as you raise it. Just the change to 10.5" tires does that for a 2" BL.

I prefer to double the width for the lift, which usually offers a better Center Of Gravity (COG).

The BL does not increase the COG like a suspension lift, since less weight is being raised. You can carefully "get-away-with" the stock width.

Mine has a 2" BL . front width is 2.5" wider, rear is 4" wider. (spacers) the tires add another 2" to the width. So front is 4.5" wider, rear 6". I tend to go overkill, but love it handling better than stock.

Best thing to do is know the limits , and when you lift , it will be easier to roll it.

Good shocks and suspension upgrades help the equasion, by preventing sway or body roll in cornering too.

Obviously going up 9" it will not be practical to go 18" wider. You'll just have to do the best you can and know that your COG is going to be higher than mine is :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

This is why a lot of people who do SFA on their S-10's run full width axles. The tires sticking out might look a little silly (not to mention illegal) but it sure helps with stability. I was going to do that on my Blazer but changed my plans after deciding I really didn't enjoy talking to the local cops about bumper height and tires not in the fenders.
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Does the...

Post by KCustom »

1" of the 5" lift is the tbar crank

Does the TM really only give you 4 inches of lift?
The Superlift kit give you a true 6 inches of lift and one additonal if you want to crank the T-bars
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

so the tm lift is really only 4 inches then? im kinda confused lol. thx for all your help guys!
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

just lift it and then run some 31x10's or 31x12's with some spacers and all will be good.

if you want to control body roll, then run a rear sway bar :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I will be running the same setup. My 265/70/17s are a true 31 inches tall and my wheels have roughly the same offset as stock. I hope to run some spacers. I want to see what it looks like before I buy my spacers. I want to keep my front diff alive as long as possible. That mean 31s and not alot of positive offset. I would really like to run 31/12.5/15s on lightweight alloy wheels with like 5 inches of backspace.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Great link HJ...

Only one ? concerning this pic...

How does any vehicle "push upward" with the same force as gravity? Wouldn't this make it "super easy" to pick up the vehicle?

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I just ain't seeing it.

WH[/img]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Some really good calculations in there and things to think about but boy is that a lot of reading! I'm trying to sift through to see if I need spacers now haha.

I think they mean the suspension and tires ect. pushing back with the same amount of force as the weight of the vehicle or it would just lay flat on the ground.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page