Rear Sway bar

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Rear Sway bar

Post by HenryJ »

So...How many have installed the rear sway bar?

Quote from old forum:
Here is complete parts list for sway bar assembly.

Rear Sway Bar#15957475

Bushing#15697706-Qty-2

Bracket#15697708-Qty.-2

Clamp#15697709-Qty.-2

U Bolt#15152683-Qty.-2

Link Bolts#11508696-Qty.1(sold by the pack.)

Link Nuts#10255857-Qty.1(sold by the pack.)

Nut-Hex#11508101-Qty.1(sold by the pack.)

Link Asm#15697702-Qty.-2

Link Bracket#15989671-Qty.-1

Link Bracket#15989672-Qty.-1

These parts are availiable from gmpartsdirect.com

I am just waiting on the sway bar.
I haven't seen Patrick posting here. And there isn't much info on this mod.

After installing my new rear shocks first, and the fronts later. The rears made a HUGE difference in handling and the fronts helped but not as noticeably. Obviously improvements are needed for our rear suspension.

It got me to thinking...the rear sway bar must have been a really big improvement in handling, for those who have done it.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

I only drove my truck 3 weeks before I installed the bar, it's hard to tell how much better it drives. The wheel spacers even seemed to help. I always thought the tires felt under inflated even with 35 psi. in them. Now I have 16 x 8" wheels & 235-70x16 Yokohama Geolanders on. That was the best move for handling. Those Goodyears were squared off on the edges like old bias ply tires.

Last edited by Jim on Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

jim you have a great dig camera! i want one. i might be putting in that sway bar myself, was it that big of a difference brule?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I didn't do the sway bar. I was just thinking those who did must feel like they are on rails in the corners :thumb:

Shocks is all I've done to improve the handling , so far. I'm still needing the articulation more than the cornering abilities.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

a2b wrote:i might be putting in that sway bar myself, was it that big of a difference brule?
Hobie you will have to come up with some kind of quick disconnect link or you won't be able to do this.

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

:lol: very true, people on the trail are always impressed by my rear :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote::lol: very true, people on the trail are always impressed by my rear :lol:

A few mags say the same thing.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

hey hobie, throw some of these on and your rear will flex alot more!!!! probably to the point where you will break something

An image ends in ".jpg" you tried to list the URL as an IMG -HJ
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

what the hell..still cant get the image right

http://www.central4wd.com/store/default ... entID=7589
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes i have seen those and think they are very very scaarry!!!! :?:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:yes i have seen those and think they are very very scaarry!!!! :?:

Yeah, those are only good for the real hardcore rock crawlers and not recommended for daily drivers.

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rear Swaybar

Post by 24digger »

Jim, did you have to weld or bolt a bracket to the frame, to mount the upper connection ends? I may have found a used one but they say a bracket will have to be welded on for it to work.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Blazers have the brackets welded to the crossmember ours are bolted to the shock mounts. See my previous post for the pic.
Best Regards, Jim
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

That's what I thought from your pics but couldn't tell for sure. Thanks
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

24digger wrote:That's what I thought from your pics but couldn't tell for sure. Thanks

The red circles are where you need to drill holes (make a template out of cardboard using the bracket) one hole is hard to get to I used a 12" long 3/8 " Bit. The bracket is outlined in red.

Last edited by Jim on Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

JCW sell a brand called Helliwig(something like that) that says they have a rear swaybar for the s10. Don't know if you have to drill but it's a complete kit. I'll look tonight and get the part number.

Cheers,

Con
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

This is Mainly for Jim

Post by 24digger »

Jim Wrote
The red circles are where you need to drill holes (make a template out of cardboard using the bracket) one hole is hard to get to I used a 12" long 3/8 " Bit. The bracket is outlined in red.
Do you still have this picture? It doesn't come up on my computer any more. The rear sway bar I got doesn't have this bracket, so I'm going to have to order them.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

He emailed me the pics the other day. I'll upload them to my yahoo photos and share them out. I'll update the post later today.

Con
Jim

Re: This is Mainly for Jim

Post by Jim »

24digger wrote:Jim Wrote
Do you still have this picture? It doesn't come up on my computer any more. The rear sway bar I got doesn't have this bracket, so I'm going to have to order them.
Best Regards, Jim
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Jim wrote:
24digger wrote:Jim Wrote

Thanks Jim! How long did it take you to install the sway bar?

Con
Jim

Post by Jim »

Conman wrote:
Thanks Jim! How long did it take you to install the sway bar?

Con

About an hour to drill the holes, an hour to install, 2 hrs to paint & detail it to my standards.

Best Regards, Jim
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Thanks Jim I definetly don't have those brackets, I'll need to order those.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

What about the rear sway bar from the 2 door Blazers?
S10Warehouse
This has a different setup but I don't see why it wouldn't fit. Enlighten me please.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:What about the rear sway bar from the 2 door Blazers?
S10Warehouse
This has a different setup but I don't see why it wouldn't fit. Enlighten me please.
ebay ad wrote:THIS DOES NOT FIT ON TRUCKS!
A TRUCK REAR SWAY BAR MOUNTS BEHIND THE REAR END
We have a fuel tank forward of the rear axle. Blazers tank is behind.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Would it hit the tank with articulation?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

What part of DOES NOT FIT TRUCKS is giving you a problem. Spend the extra money and get the one made for the trucks you will save yourself a lot of headaches.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

04crewvt wrote:What part of DOES NOT FIT TRUCKS is giving you a problem. Spend the extra money and get the one made for the trucks you will save yourself a lot of headaches.
Get A ZQ8 truck bar or a Blazer/Bravada 4 door bar these fit. You need the pickup brackets the Blazer/Bravada brackets are welded on.
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:Would it hit the tank with articulation?
It will not install unless you remove your fuel tank.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Wow I got some people worked up didn't I! I was just wondering why it wouldn't fit. I am not able to go look at one hence the curiosity. Thank you for the information though HJ, I am glad to have learned!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Got my ZQ8 rear sway bar installed, 1 1/2 hours, who needs paint, I mean you gotta lay down on your back to see it any way. After new tires with Dyna Beads, Monroe front steering stabilizer, ZQ8 rear sway bar, solid '99 rear bump stops on the front and hollows on the rear, speedo recalibrated for $15.00 and front end aligned, this is the real deal ! I don't know how many have driven a good Semi tractor but the stability of that ride is now in my little "Cruise Cab" . :D 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Rear Sway bar

Post by HenryJ »

Dusting this one off from way back!
So how did your rear sway bar work out :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

I know I know I said id throw up pics.......
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

So going from this
to this
Seemed like no big deal....and for me it wasn't, load on 4 peoples gear/clothes/food and a roof top tent.... things may have got a little "boat-ish"
Crank it up to 75+mph sprinkle in some offset expansion joints and just crummy road surfaces and I got a little white knuckle, a couple times..

I know the rear suspension was compliant....it was Cadillac like, real smooth. wife hated it so a sway bar was in our future..... got to my Families house in Denver and went to work.

used a piece of square tubing, 2 different styles of channel from Home Depot
scavenged 3 different sway bars and 2 styles of clamps along with some end links from FNJEEP in Colorado springs for $25
And a bunch of nuts bolts and fasteners from Murdock's(sp?) a farm and ranch store we don't have in Oregon

ran the square tube like a cross member, inside the rear portion of the upper shock mount. welded on some light channel for the bushings

brother in law had some old end links, he should have thrown out years ago that worked great, a couple washers to space the links out a short piece of heavy channel fit right over my flipped U-bolts and lined up well enough.

The bar said 85 wagoner in paint pen, I'm assuming it came from the front but I'm not sure. It is working like a charm. feels a lot like it did IFS with the giant front sway bar still connected.

all in all its nice to not have the boat like roll.... so I'm leaving it on. I am however going to work on some disconnects because off road its a neck snapper