what size is the spare (i am doing the swap test)

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

what size is the spare (i am doing the swap test)

Post by a2b »

well i put the spare on this morning and it sticks like 2" further towards the truck than my other rim did. its amazing. it looks weaker now. when at full lock, it almost hits the sway bar, then the other way it hits the frame pretty good. is this normal for you stock wheel guys with 31s? and my tires are only 30.6" tall. later i am going for a test drive to see if i can get that wheel to rub. i bet i cant. i will post pics of the difference. its funny loooking

so just want to make sure that the spare is the same as stock size 15x7 6" of bs. cuz is sure is tucked up under there. - hobie
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol: Yeah, they do look a bit goofy :lol: You ought to see mine with the flares :lol:

But function outweighs form, sometimes. I'm going to try a pair of 3/8" spacers on the front of mine, if I have enough thread on the lugs.

Also you are so used to seeing the wider profile that you had that it is bound to be a shock to go back to stock rear spacing.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote::lol: Yeah, they do look a bit goofy :lol: You ought to see mine with the flares :lol:

But function outweighs form, sometimes. I'm going to try a pair of 3/8" spacers on the front of mine, if I have enough thread on the lugs.

Also you are so used to seeing the wider profile that you had that it is bound to be a shock to go back to stock rear spacing.

From experience there isn't enough stud there. I wanted to put 1/4" spacers in front so the stock SS center caps could fit on my ZR-1 style wheels. I didn't feel comfortable with the amount of stud captured in the lug. So I had to come up with this arrangement to clear the axel.

88 SS Monte Carlo Centers

VERY nicely done-HJ :thumb:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:D Thanx for the info. I won't waste my time. I might still consider extended lugs and spacers at some point.

I'll take a look when I do the service and tire rotation this weekend.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

hobie, Im assuming u were using the bfg's? if so then i hope that rubbing doesnt happen when i put them on my truck next week.....If so, can i get those extended lug nuts at an auto place...i do have 3/8" spacers that i can use for the front.....the only other person I have seen with bfg is Jason when he put his 2" body lift on....i wonder if he rubs?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

can i get those extended lug nuts at an auto place...
If you have a really good parts person it is possible they could find and order what you need.

I have a local Bearing and Hydraulic shop that handles a large selection of wheel studs. It will take some effort to get the right ones. You don't want them too long or the caps won't fit.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote::D Thanx for the info. I won't waste my time. I might still consider extended lugs and spacers at some point.

I'll take a look when I do the service and tire rotation this weekend.

you need some sweet rims anyways. just get some with 5.5" of bs. thats probably what i will do.

yes i do that the BFG's and yes every one says they do rub with 31's on the inside of the frame on stock wheels no matter what size tire. it only rubs at full lock. no big deal.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: what size is the spare (i am doing the swap test)

Post by quickbiker »

a2b wrote:well i put the spare on this morning and it sticks like 2" further towards the truck than my other rim did. its amazing. it looks weaker now. when at full lock, it almost hits the sway bar, then the other way it hits the frame pretty good. is this normal for you stock wheel guys with 31s? and my tires are only 30.6" tall. later i am going for a test drive to see if i can get that wheel to rub. i bet i cant. i will post pics of the difference. its funny loooking

so just want to make sure that the spare is the same as stock size 15x7 6" of bs. cuz is sure is tucked up under there. - hobie

Yea dude, how many times I gotta say that my rubber rubs the frame? :shock: It doesn't matter what kinda lift ya got, the frame don't move. I am rubbing. I got the same size tires you got on stock rims. You need about 5" BS on 7" rims. I am gonna move my 1.25 spacers to the front and put on 2.25 spacers on the rear. I am using stock rims.

:wink:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: what size is the spare (i am doing the swap test)

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:
a2b wrote:well i put the spare on this morning and it sticks like 2" further towards the truck than my other rim did. its amazing. it looks weaker now. when at full lock, it almost hits the sway bar, then the other way it hits the frame pretty good. is this normal for you stock wheel guys with 31s? and my tires are only 30.6" tall. later i am going for a test drive to see if i can get that wheel to rub. i bet i cant. i will post pics of the difference. its funny loooking

Yea dude, how many times I gotta say that my rubber rubs the frame? :shock: It doesn't matter what kinda lift ya got, the frame don't move. I am rubbing. I got the same size tires you got on stock rims. You need about 5" BS on 7" rims. I am gonna move my 1.25 spacers to the front and put on 2.25 spacers on the rear. I am using stock rims.

:wink:

cool, cant wait to see if you rub on your front fenders. i you will have 4.75" of bs on a 15x7 rim. i had 15x8 with 5" of bs. seems like you migh rub. the tire is still 10" wide right? of course you are lifted more than the rest of us so it might work for you.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

From experience there isn't enough stud there. I wanted to put 1/4" spacers in front so the stock SS center caps could fit on my ZR-1 style wheels. I didn't feel comfortable with the amount of stud captured in the lug.
Jim, you were right on :thumb: There is barely enough for the stock wheels. Slip in spacers are out of the question without extended lugs. I'm not sure it would help the frame rub issue though, looks like it will take more than 3/8' to clear completely. Mine just clears with no load at full lock. It only rubs at full lock when the wheel is loaded.

Quickbiker has the right idea. I'd thought of doing the same thing with my spacers, moving the 1.25" to the front and getting 2" spacers for the rear. But a 5" suspension lift would be needed to clear I'm sure.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes they sure would rub right now if you put those spacers on the front.

FYI even with 15x8 with 5' of bs, i never felt it but i found a rubbing spot on the frame. but i t had to of been barely.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

guess what, i am going to over seapahn's house to pick up a PA3 to put on the front for the trip. i might even just buy those instead of getting other rims. but i would like some chrome ones. those would look sharp. buy anyways, at least i have some stock rims to run around on untill i find some new rims that are the right size :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

so i drove 2k miles loaded with 4 people and lugage...stopped in dallas and had dinner with john, and the whole way i had no rubbing...man did i get the wrong size wheel or what....hey, paul if you want to go to 33's you will need my wheels. i have a buyer for them if you dont want them...let me know...later hobie
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

so what rims and backspacing are the new rims?

I was considering 30x10.5 on the stock rims but from what you are saying, it's the width that makes it rub.

Con
RRHAMMONS

Factory wheels

Post by RRHAMMONS »

In the GM brocure for the 03's it states that the factory wheel is 15x8 for a zr5 package, but the invoice for the vehicle state that it is 15x7. Does anyone know what size the wheel actually is? Has anyone tried 30x9.5 BFG's tires on their stock vehicle before adding a BL? If so, did these tires rub the frame?
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Factory wheels

Post by Conman »

RRHAMMONS wrote:In the GM brocure for the 03's it states that the factory wheel is 15x8 for a zr5 package, but the invoice for the vehicle state that it is 15x7. Does anyone know what size the wheel actually is? Has anyone tried 30x9.5 BFG's tires on their stock vehicle before adding a BL? If so, did these tires rub the frame?

I think it's 15x7 cause it does not look like a 15x8. 30x9.5 will fit but will still rub. My stock 235/75 rub every once in a while stock!

There is a ZR5 crew with 30x.9.5 but he's not on this board. He says it rubs even with the front t-bar cranked but not that bad he says.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Factory wheels

Post by a2b »

RRHAMMONS wrote:In the GM brocure for the 03's it states that the factory wheel is 15x8 for a zr5 package, but the invoice for the vehicle state that it is 15x7. Does anyone know what size the wheel actually is? Has anyone tried 30x9.5 BFG's tires on their stock vehicle before adding a BL? If so, did these tires rub the frame?

stock is 15x7

and 30's wont rub much, no big deal
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Conman wrote:so what rims and backspacing are the new rims?

I was considering 30x10.5 on the stock rims but from what you are saying, it's the width that makes it rub.

Con

i am going to take my current 31x10.5 and put them on 15x7 with 5.5" of bs. probably will still rub on frame but so what. not too bad.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\