Wheel upgrades

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

smaney1
Regular
Regular

Wheel upgrades

Post by smaney1 »

I'm having difficulty finding a lot of options with upgrading the wheels on my '03 crew cab. I'm going for 17's or 18's with all season tires to strike a balance between looks and on-road wet/snow performance. Any recommendations? The only suitable wheel I've identified is the ASA JS5 on tirerack.com .... Thanks
[size=75]'03 S-10 Crew Blue

opts: locking 3.73, on/off road tires (to be replaced), mods: Gibson stainless exhaust, TYC tails, clear fronts, bed extender, for daughter (elmo vanity plate, rear cupholder), planned: 18's and/or bigger tires, flame accents, wheel spacers, tonneau, ...[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Wheel upgrades

Post by Conman »

smaney1 wrote:I'm having difficulty finding a lot of options with upgrading the wheels on my '03 crew cab. I'm going for 17's or 18's with all season tires to strike a balance between looks and on-road wet/snow performance. Any recommendations? The only suitable wheel I've identified is the ASA JS5 on tirerack.com .... Thanks

There should be lots of wheels for the S10. Try the other s10 forums as I see lots of them with nice rims on them. s10planet.com, s-series.org are two I remember off the top of my head. The only thing to remember is that some rims, esp. that size, are probably not load rated for heavy towing so keep that in mind if you search for rims if you plan on heavy towing. If you do a tirerack search but put in a 2wd, you get more options for rims.

Good Luck,

Con
Jim

Post by Jim »

My advice is be careful with the width I have 16x8" wheels on mine. It gets hard to find tires that are for the recommended width that are the correct diameter. Upgrading tires & wheels was the best thing I have done to my CC yet. The handling difference I can only compare to driving on radials :D as apposed to bias tires :( . Those Goodyears are squared off kinda like old bias tires :roll:

Last edited by Jim on Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
smaney1
Regular
Regular

Post by smaney1 »

Jim,

Do the ZR1 wheels you've installed have the same offset as stock ?

Another question: can be bed extender be easily removed in case you want it out of the way for something ?
[size=75]'03 S-10 Crew Blue

opts: locking 3.73, on/off road tires (to be replaced), mods: Gibson stainless exhaust, TYC tails, clear fronts, bed extender, for daughter (elmo vanity plate, rear cupholder), planned: 18's and/or bigger tires, flame accents, wheel spacers, tonneau, ...[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

you will find more wheel if you just pick out one you like and then call a company that sells them and ask them if they make one with 4.25 bolt pattern and the size that you want

american racing will have lots of options and so will centerline
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

smaney1 wrote:Jim,

Do the ZR1 wheels you've installed have the same offset as stock ?

Another question: can be bed extender be easily removed in case you want it out of the way for something ?

Mine have 55mm offset. The outer edge of the rim is in the same location as stock. If you look at the Ebay link you can find some corvette ZR-1s 17x9.5 with different backspacings...

56MM OFFSET ARE INTERCHANGEABLE WITH CORVETTES FROM 1988 THROUGH 1999

38MM OFFSET ARE INTERCHANGEABLE WITH CORVETTES FROM 1984 THROUGH 1987

for front & rear (no need for wheel spacers then but you can't rotate the tires)

I agree watch the load ratings if you plan to haul or tow mine are rated higher than the stock wheels but I can hardly believe it the aren't very beefy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1876499263 This link is to the guy I got my 16x8s from

The bed extender lifts out of the locked in position when hinged up 90 degrees...don't ask me how you can install it after something big is in the bed if you can't install it without first sliping it in at 90 degrees. It also came with straps to hold it to the open gate I think :? but they aren't long enough to reach the clips. I store mine out of the way & may never use it. :!:
Last edited by Jim on Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Be careful

Post by Brad »

You have to be careful with offset when wheel shopping. I have 2001 17x9 WS6 polishied Trans Am wheels from SLP Engineering. Check out their web site. They have two, one for complete cars and one for parts. The car site has a nice AWD Blazer they sell called the Adventurer. It comes with Camaro SS wheels. My T/A wheels and the Camaro wheels are the same so they should fit my 02 Sonoma CC(I hope). I am saving for 265/70/17 Yokohamas to install under a 2 inch body lift. I hope to have an off road stance with good handling from larger rim and shorter side wall than a 31/10.50/15. Wish me luck. BTW Eagle Alloys makes some nice Billet wheels in 17 and 18 inch.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Gee, I was selling Vette wheels not long ago. Even advertised in the S-10 forum they be good for S-10's, didn't get any responses. Think they were sold for $300.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Wrager

Post by Wrager »

I too used the Camaro SS five spoke rims. Mine are the 17 x 9.5 with 275/55 Pirelli Scorpions.

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubim ... id_=650229
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Wrager wrote:I too used the Camaro SS five spoke rims. Mine are the 17 x 9.5 with 275/55 Pirelli Scorpions.

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubim ... id_=650229

Looks sweeeeeeeeeet. :thumb:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Now that I see SLP is using Camaro wheels I feel a little better about my choice. I just have to do the duals & I'll cool the mods for awhile.

I think the 17" wheels look better on Wes's truck than my 16"s (more in proportion) tires for the 17s are alot more $$. My 16s looked large until the tires were mounted up then they looked small. :oops:

Best Regards, Jim
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

275s

Post by Brad »

JIm,

Do your 275/55/17 tires rub anywhere? I think my T/A rims are 9.5 wide to. I found some yokos in 275/65/17 all terrain.
Jim

Re: 275s

Post by Jim »

Brad wrote:JIm,

Do your 275/55/17 tires rub anywhere? I think my T/A rims are 9.5 wide to. I found some yokos in 275/65/17 all terrain.

I have 235/70/16 tires, 29" x 1" wider than stock. Wrager said his only rub at full lock. I don't want to speak for him...but thats what I read in one of his posts.
Best Regards, Jim
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

275s

Post by Brad »

Wrager.

Do your 275s rub?

Brad
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

jim, your truck looks sweet too. those 16's are nice :wink:

personally, i like my 39.95 black rock crawlers :D

[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]