33's wont fit?????

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

33's wont fit?????

Post by a2b »

okay so i guess our rear fenders are really different from others. i dont know why it didnt dawn on me earlier when i had this pic

but then i went off roading this weekend (pics to come) and i took another pic, when i got back someone pointed out that our wells were only 31" wide compared to the other s-10's which were 33".

here is the pic, and these tires only measure 30.5"

here is a zr2 pic with 31's, you can see that there is more clearence. but not much, with 33's they usually rub the front of the rear fender

so now what? you really cant test them unless you have a rti ramp around or steps
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol:
a2b wrote:okay so i guess our rear fenders are really different from others. i dont know why it didnt dawn on me earlier
It should have dawned on you....the rear is off an Isuzu...remember :idea:

And we even have less than the zoozoo with the fake S-10 "look like" flares added.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya i knew that but it just didnt hit me that the well would be a different size.....even 32's would rub, at least aggressive ones
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

The Isuzu crewcab doesn't even have a front of a rear fender. Lookit: http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/pick/lineup-crew.htm
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is a different one :shock: Hope that isn't the new one it looks like the style from the 80's.

I'm not sure of the years but these are the wheel wells

Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

quickbiker wrote:The Isuzu crewcab doesn't even have a front of a rear fender. Lookit: http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/pick/lineup-crew.htm

Yeah, that's the old Pickup like the 88-95 sold in the States. The Hombre is one based on the s10 which was only sold in the States and the crew looking one was only sold as a GM/chevy in south america.

Interesting that they are smaller. Looks like hobie needs cut-out fender flares then....... :idea:

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Well, I will be going to 33's when my 31's wear out. I will do what I got to to get them in there. Only problem I see is the lower sections of the fender because of the width. With my susp lift, my tops won't be a problem. I really don't like doing cosmetic work and anyone who has some tips or any writeup on trimming fenders, I would love to check it out. I am thinking of taking it to some body shop to do the work. I don't mind mechanical work, but me no good with cosmetic work unless I am walked through it or have a good guide.

I think I heard that cutting slits and bending it in is the best way? Then how would I smooth it up, with fiberglass putty? :?:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:Well, I will be going to 33's when my 31's wear out. I will do what I got to to get them in there. Only problem I see is the lower sections of the fender because of the width. With my susp lift, my tops won't be a problem. I really don't like doing cosmetic work and anyone who has some tips or any writeup on trimming fenders, I would love to check it out. I am thinking of taking it to some body shop to do the work. I don't mind mechanical work, but me no good with cosmetic work unless I am walked through it or have a good guide.

I think I heard that cutting slits and bending it in is the best way? Then how would I smooth it up, with fiberglass putty? :?:

well it was you that i was worried about. didnt want you to buy 33's then go oops. if you cut it, it wont look good, and there isnt room to cut it way back and put on flares. you can barely fit flares on right now but they wont let 33's on. which leave me only one solution that i can think of right now. cut the fender open but only in the rear. but the flares on, and then move the axel 1.5" back, whatcha think of that idea :roll:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

No, no need for that. I've taken measurements, and it will work if you do this. This is my idea anyhow. Take the front braket and twist the bottom at least 90 deg. That will take it out of the way. Then trim the lower parts. I've measure a bit better than an inch if that is done. I don't need any flares, especially for the rear, they stick out so far. I am gonna go with 33x10.5, so the width will be the same as my 31's.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

quickbiker wrote:No, no need for that. I've taken measurements, and it will work if you do this. This is my idea anyhow. Take the front braket and twist the bottom at least 90 deg. That will take it out of the way. Then trim the lower parts. I've measure a bit better than an inch if that is done. I don't need any flares, especially for the rear, they stick out so far. I am gonna go with 33x10.5, so the width will be the same as my 31's.

What about those bushwacker cut-out flares? IIRC, they are designed to hide the cuts of widening the wheel wells. Just a thought. Maybe if you use normal flares from say a full-size, cut the wheel well out and hide it with fullsize flares.

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Conman wrote:
quickbiker wrote:No, no need for that. I've taken measurements, and it will work if you do this. This is my idea anyhow. Take the front braket and twist the bottom at least 90 deg. That will take it out of the way. Then trim the lower parts. I've measure a bit better than an inch if that is done. I don't need any flares, especially for the rear, they stick out so far. I am gonna go with 33x10.5, so the width will be the same as my 31's.

What about those bushwacker cut-out flares? IIRC, they are designed to hide the cuts of widening the wheel wells. Just a thought. Maybe if you use normal flares from say a full-size, cut the wheel well out and hide it with fullsize flares.

Con

Nobody makes cut-outs for our trucks. I've thought about maybe fs flares, but they look different. I think if I bend it nice and smooth it up with putty, that may work? LOL. I am not sure, but open to suggestions. What makes the situation worse is that our rear fenders are nothing like any other s-10's. I know someone on this forum made some regular flares work, but they're not cut-outs. Here is something that may work, but I don't like it cause the lips that do the covering up are very small and may not hide anything anyhow:

http://www.autobarn.net/pac52189.html

But if I cut off all of the stock metal flare, they may look alright.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I remember a mag a few years ago installed front fiberglass fenders and since at that time, did not have rear fiberglass flares so they mod the rear fenders by bulging them out. I think it was a Toyota they did it on but I assume it could be done on ours. IIRC, they cut the the bottom/sides and bulged the fender out to clear wider tires. That way, they tucked in. Not sure you would like that look since it will be more pre-runner look but would clear bigger tires then.

I'm wondering if F150 flares would fit our truck since they are more round than the GM fullsize which are more square. So if you can cut the rear fender out to the size of the f150 flare, that would look very stock. The flares don't look to big on the F150 too which might match well with the crew's "mini flare"

Con
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Well, here are some sweet fiberglass flares that would look great with our already buldging rear fenders: http://www.glassworksunlimited.com/gu26.shtml

I may just decide I can't deal with the cost of going to 33's by the time my 31's wear out! I want to do it right when I do do it though.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Man, I just noticed that the price went up $25 since I last looked at these things. Geesh. It was $275/pair. Inflation, go figure.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, paul, i would actually go that route too. just cut what you need to and then if it aint enough or it starts to look bad. just order some glass works fenders and be done with it.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

are u sure the 33 will fit i have over 6 inches of lift and had to trim the my frenders with 31s
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

warnoffroad wrote:are u sure the 33 will fit i have over 6 inches of lift and had to trim the my frenders with 31s

matt, nice to see you made it!!!

no, i say 33's wont fit with stock rear fenders. mabey with some trimming tricks.

your 31's rub becuase of the wheels you are running. if you had wheels that were closer to stock size, they wouldnt rub. of course it would look as good either. i am haveing to buy new rims, cuz mine cause too much rubbing when loaded
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

the rear is fine its the front that rubs
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

warnoffroad wrote:the rear is fine its the front that rubs

oh ya, i know that where you rub right now. the rear will rub when you get 33's.

i forgot to mention, you are running 31's x 12. the rest of us have 31x10. there is a big difference. the width kills your fenders.

thats why paul said that he was going to run 33x10.5's, just to cut down on rubbing.

so what size are your wheels and what bs do you have?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

My tires are 31x11.50 and I have less BS then you, I only have 4 inches
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

my wheels are 15x8
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yikes!!!! man, you are rub pretty good hugh? have you ever loaded the truck down with heavy gear and tools and 4 people in the cab? how bad does it rub then.

i thought my rubbing was taken care of until i did that, or towed a another car. all of a sudden i was rubbing again like crazy on every turn

with your lift, you wouldnt rub at all with tire and rim set up, but i dont have your lift so i rub. i have to go more stock than you have too. but if you go 33's you will need an 8" rim.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

It doest rub to bad ive stuffed it, and put a 700lb grizzly 660 atv in the back and it didnt rub. Ive also pulled an 18ft trailer with 4 people in the truck and 4 atvs on the trailer then it started to rub when I turned and hit lil bumps