Got some 2" spacers yesterday

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Got some 2" spacers yesterday

Post by AZS10Crew »

I don't know why the S-10's don't come from the factory looking like this...it's SO much better. The look of the rear finally matches the front now. :thumb:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Got some 2" spacers yesterday

Post by Conman »

AZS10Crew wrote:I don't know why the S-10's don't come from the factory looking like this...it's SO much better. The look of the rear finally matches the front now. :thumb:

I'm thinking about getting them also cause it does look better.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I got mine from www.performancewheel.com Jim recommended them in another post here about spacers. It took about a month to get them, but I ordered them before Christmas, so the holidays delayed the order some.

I'm happy with them so far...they're lightweight and look to be pretty stout pieces.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

wow, you got the 2" most people around here get the 1.5". i got the 1.75, now you are wider than me in the back. it looks so much better hugh. that and a bl, is the look the truck should of come stock. they would sell alot more!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Yeah...a body lift is probably next on the list. I'll probably get that next month.
[size=75]Mark
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

I wanted to do the same with the wheel spacers. I hate the way the truck looks.

I did a bit of research, because I wondered why it was designed like that.

It is basically designed like that for the handling. I know it doesn't sound right, but by speading therears out, could impede the satbility of the vehicle.

By putting the spacers on looks great, and I may end up doing it. I can't get past the look of the tire stuck way under the fender.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, the narrow rear end helps the turning. but the wider you are the more stability you have
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

anvil wrote: It is basically designed like that for the handling. I know it doesn't sound right, but by speading therears out, could impede the satbility of the vehicle.
I think you got it right, it pertains to offroad stability.

With the front track being wider the rear track tends to be pulled straighter. This is helpful in the ruts created by the front tires. I haven't noticed much difference in mine since the spacers.

Most of the ruts in my area are created by fullsize rigs , so I don't fit them anyway.

I do understand what they are trying to do, If you want to feel a drastic example try offroading in a duallie. That real wide rear track is all over the place in the nasty stuff. Not to mention with duals there is less psi downforce for traction.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:
anvil wrote: It is basically designed like that for the handling. I know it doesn't sound right, but by speading therears out, could impede the satbility of the vehicle.
I think you got it right, it pertains to offroad stability.

With the front track being wider the rear track tends to be pulled straighter. This is helpful in the ruts created by the front tires. I haven't noticed much difference in mine since the spacers.

Most of the ruts in my area are created by fullsize rigs , so I don't fit them anyway.

I do understand what they are trying to do, If you want to feel a drastic example try offroading in a duallie. That real wide rear track is all over the place in the nasty stuff. Not to mention with duals there is less psi downforce for traction.

to make the rear smaller just for off road use is stupid, when there are so many other areas to concntrate on when designing for off road use that they didnt do :roll:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
anvil
Crew
Crew

Post by anvil »

I'm so glad you guys understood my spelling (satbility :lol: )

I wouldn't say that it would be harmfull to widen the rear out, as HJ say, no significant difference, so it brings us all back to the original question........why did the engineers do this?

The truck , my truck, would look awesome with more rubber sticking out of the fender well.

One look that I enjoy on a SUV is the real wide tires that are on the Mercedes SUV. From the rear as I'm following one, I think it really looks good, as all tires should look. Aside from the design of a certain vehicle, knowing that some times, if not all times, narrower is better for traction, and handeling, especially in snow.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

anvil wrote:why did the engineers do this?

turning radius :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I'm running 2.25" spacers in the rear and 1.25" spacers in the front. Much better stability! And my front wheels don't hit the frame at full lock anymore! :D
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

quickbiker wrote:I'm running 2.25" spacers in the rear and 1.25" spacers in the front. Much better stability! And my front wheels don't hit the frame at full lock anymore! :D

How about the front fenders, any rubbing there? Very Sweet! Got pics? ;)

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:I'm running 2.25" spacers in the rear and 1.25" spacers in the front. Much better stability! And my front wheels don't hit the frame at full lock anymore! :D

whoa! i didnt know you had spacers on the front or the rear. so do you ever rub on the fender? and do you have the bl?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Here's the only pics I have so far with the set up. I just have the 5" TM lift. I still had to bang in the rear bolt on the bottom fender a bit, but no rubbing.

[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Wider is better, right? 8)

I measured when I was shopping for spacers and I think 1.5" would have made the rear track match the front. But when I measured from the outside edge of the rear fenders to the sidewall of the rear tires, and the same for the front, the rear needed to be 2" wider on each side to match looks-wise. I figured looks was what I was going for anyway, so I got the 2" ones.

And quickbiker...very nice truck. :thumb: I wish I had the time, money, and tools to do the TM lift on my truck.
[size=75]Mark
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, the TM5" looks swet!!! there is a new member that has the 5" TM and his truck is bad to the bone
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

And where is a pic of it??? I feel so lonely :cry:

LOL, is it a blue truck?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:wink: another yellow Zr5 ? ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote::wink: another yellow Zr5 ? ;)

how did you know :lol: so oopps, he doesnt have the TM, he said it was a truckin 5"
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Kewl! I'd like to see that. Is it one of these???

http://www.tsliftkitstore.com/product.a ... p&ID=19690

http://www.tsliftkitstore.com/product.a ... p&ID=19691

I'd like to see details of these kits. They just have generic pics there. I wonder how they get the 6.5" lift. Maybe the leaf flip and replacing upper control arms with big ol tbar crank.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

quickbiker wrote:Kewl! I'd like to see that. Is it one of these???

http://www.tsliftkitstore.com/product.a ... p&ID=19690

http://www.tsliftkitstore.com/product.a ... p&ID=19691

I'd like to see details of these kits. They just have generic pics there. I wonder how they get the 6.5" lift. Maybe the leaf flip and replacing upper control arms with big ol tbar crank.

I like to see that too. I heard some not so good things about the Truckn suspension lift from the Dodge Durango board but the lift did work after a few problems that needed to be ironed out though. If the 4.5" is a "no-cut" lift, I would be really interested in it as that's my only reserve with the 5" trailmaster kit.

Cheers,

Con
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, you gotta get past the cutting stuff. I figured someday I would go SFA anyhow, so even more gets cut out when I do that. LOL
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

when you go with the sfa, you can push the front drive shaft foward so you dont have to rub your fenders :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

So, on the subject of spacers, who makes the best (read strongest) ones? I've seen pictures of what Paul and Hobie have put their trucks through and I figure if you guys can't break 'em, they must be the good ones!
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

All the info is here: http://www.thebestbuddies.com/pic/modin ... pacers.htm

I found it better to call in the order and make sure you get the right threads so you can used the nuts it comes with on the stock studs. I goofed my first set and need diff size nuts on one pair.
ExMoparMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ExMoparMan »

If you look at a four wheel drive pulling truck the rear wheel spacing is narrower than the front, I would agree that it is four off road traction with the wheels in seperate tracks.......I guess.....just something I noticed on pulling trucks.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I got mine from www.performancewheel.com There was a little write-up on their site talking about how their spacers are made with stronger aluminum than the others. Not sure how true it is, or what the AIM spacers are made with to compare, but it seemed convincing enough to me. The threads matched perfectly too. I didn't get lug nuts with them, but those were only $1 each at Autozone, so it was no big deal.
[size=75]Mark
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

AZS10Crew wrote:I got mine from www.performancewheel.com There was a little write-up on their site talking about how their spacers are made with stronger aluminum than the others. Not sure how true it is, or what the AIM spacers are made with to compare, but it seemed convincing enough to me. The threads matched perfectly too. I didn't get lug nuts with them, but those were only $1 each at Autozone, so it was no big deal.

Yea, I saw that also on their site. But they are both made from billet, and I asked aim about if they were what the other site you said said they were and they said they were. :roll: