1.5" spacers on front?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

1.5" spacers on front?

Post by ace »

Wondering if that combo will work. I have the 1.5" spacers on stock zr5 wheels on the rear right now but I'd like to go wider on the back. I was thinking about moving these to the front but not sure if it would work. I know a lot of you guys are running 1.25" on the front. I'm waiting till spring to put my new tires on (which are 31 x 10.50) and bodylift. The actual tire diameter is 30 and the tread width is 7.9". I'd like to put like 2.50 spacers on the rear or I am taking suggestions. I thought the 1.5" on the back didn't quite look wide enough but I understand if I go to wide they won't articulate up into the wheel well when off roading.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You'll run into rubbing issues with the 1.5" spacers on the front.
I had some rubbing with 1.25" spacers and 31x10.5's
If you "cut-out" the front for the Skidz flares they would clear.

Up to 3" spacers on the rear may clear , barely.

Walt may be a better judge of this than I since he ran some wide spacers on the front.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

HenryJ wrote:You'll run into rubbing issues with the 1.5" spacers on the front.
I had some rubbing with 1.25" spacers and 31x10.5's
If you "cut-out" the front for the Skidz flares they would clear.

Up to 3" spacers on the rear may clear , barely.

Walt may be a better judge of this than I since he ran some wide spacers on the front.
Just so I get this straight though: I think in another post you mentioned that you'll need 1.25" spacers on the front or the tires will hit the frame, right?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The 31x10.5's will rub the frame without spacers and just barely rub at the rear of the fenders. Add the spacers and they will not rub the frame, but will now rub the fenders pretty hard.

To run 33x9.50's you will need to run the spacers for sure. Without them, the frame rub will not be bearable. As it is the 1.5" spacers on the front might work slightly better. This is with cut-outs.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

If you run 2" spacers on the front, with a BL and TB crank, without the flares, you will rub the fenders like a mofo... 1.5" probably won't be much better. With 2" spacers, my 31x10.5.15's don't rub the frame. Of course now with the flares, they don't rub anywhere :D

I will be getting my new wheels soon, with 4" Backspacing, so things will remain the same.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:
To run 33x9.50's you will need to run the spacers for sure. Without them, the frame rub will not be bearable. As it is the 1.5" spacers on the front might work slightly better. This is with cut-outs.
Alright in my quest for info on running 33x9.5s I found any threads, this seems to be the shortest in length and relivant. So ill post here.

So #1, I will need 1.5" spacers up front. Its dark out right now, but im thinking this is gonna push the tires way outside of the zr5 flares (thinking offhand I think they are level with the flares stock?) If so thats illegal here, and looks awful.. I was looking for a head on picture of your truck Brule for a better idea but couldn't find one.. I found a picture of Kermit's truck head one with Skidz flares and 33x10.5 it didnt look bad.. but dont know how it is vs the 9.5s

#2,, The building up of the steering stops is neccessary also? EDIT

*from f9k9*
The steering stop is in the lower left quadrant but, near the center. It looks shiny, It is located on the lower control arm and you have one facing to the rear and one to the front. The rear is what affects the frame rubbing. I had my guy make 2 passes of adding metal but, I could use an additional pass because I am still rubbing.
Okay, not a big deal, I was thinking you had to weld the steering linkage of something. I bet my buddy can do that for free. He said he could remove my precat and weld a straight pipe in, this should be cake then.

But how much turning radius do you loose?

I was wanting to not use spacers on the front of my truck due to the extra stress, but they dont seem to be causing a problem here, from my reading. But that means il also needs even bigger spacers for the rear now =/

And Brule, with these tires (33x9.5) your gas milage had no change I think I read? (if it matters, I have 3.73 gearing)

For me, I will be onroad 99% of the time (hoping that will change after I get all my lifting done :) ). I want 33s, cause, its always been a "dream" to have a truck with 33s. And nearly 2" of extra ground clearance over the stocks 235s. The down side I think I am read with this mod is having to use spacers, and a reduced turning radius, anything else?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

3" spacers will clear the rear fender wells with ZR5 Flares with 30x9.5's without a body lift. That's what I run in the back.

ImageImage
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

AS I"ve said, I'm running 8x15 wheels all around with the 3 3/4" back spacing, which equals 2 1/4" spacers. The tires I run at present are 28" diameter, 10 3/4" wide, 9 1/2" tread width. The only rub I had at first try was turning rub on bottom back corner of ZR5 flare. Thats why I did the Skidz cut to my wheel wells and flares. One other rub happened when I bottomed out the front end over a jump, I'm going to fullsize bump stops to try tp stop that rub at the top center of the flares. Turning radius has actualy decreased 9", I knw because I chalked my tires and did complete 360 before and after from stock ZR5 wheels to my new ones.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

ofcrew, maybe its the angle, but it doesn't look like your tires are clearing the fender well/flares? It looks close, and very good.

if it takes 1.25" spacers to set equal with the front then then 1.5" spacers up front SHOULD keep it under/level with the flare, by my math with the info you just gave about 3" rear spacers... I just need to go outside and eye ball my truck :lol:

I never would guess you would have lost turning radius with your current tires horsehammer. After explaining how your rims equal 2 1/4" spacers, how do the front wheels line up with, or extend pass the zr5 flares?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

They just barely and I mean just (1/4" or so) clear at the top of the fender well. It gives me an effective backspacing of only 3" in the rear. I run 1" spacers in the front, any bigger and I would need to cut.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Right now im not really talking about rubbing, bur rather the tire protruding past the flares/fender with spacers installed.

I just took a square, and a long piece of thin wood, put the wood against the bulge of my tire, then put the square to it. 1" spacer would put me just a hair last the flare. 1.5" spacer would put me 1/2" past the flare. Plus 235/75/15s are 9.25".... im looking at a 33x9.5 so theres and additional 1/4" also....

But my buddy also says goodyear tires (whats on my truck now) becuase of their side wall contsruction, tend to ballon out, much more then other brands, especially the bfg at. Looking at Brule's truck, it might be true. but the effect would be minimal on width.

Would 1.25" spacers not be enough? I just want to try and keep that tire inside the flare...

I measured the back, and 3" spacers are inside the flare by just a hair so those would be a go, though those are twice as big as I had originally planned on using.

*I might not worry about it too much if I have no choice, becuase I see lots of trucks around here with tires sticking WAYYYY out past their fenders, with no flares at all. I dont think 1/2" would be extremely noticable... :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:...235/75/15s are 9.25".... im looking at a 33x9.5 so theres and additional 1/4" ...
Would 1.25" spacers not be enough?
Half that. There is only .125" to each side of the tire. Put a tape on them and I doubt you can tell any difference.
I run 1.25" on the front.

Keep in mind that it is the tread cover that they measure, not the section width.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:
fallvitals wrote:...235/75/15s are 9.25".... im looking at a 33x9.5 so theres and additional 1/4" ...
Would 1.25" spacers not be enough?
Half that. There is only .125" to each side of the tire.
I run 1.25" on the front.
My curiosity will eat me up if I don't ask, lol (if you recall it was a while ago), why did you recommend 1.5 spacers in this thread?

If I can run the 1.25" spacers, adding .125" for wider tires, I will still extend past the flare, but it should only be .375" ( 3 / 8 ) past the flare, more then I want, but should be very hard to notice by any Barney Fife that likes to show of his authority. Ill keep the tread cover in mind. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:...why did you recommend 1.5 spacers in this thread?
HenryJ wrote:Here is what you need:
Performance Accessories PA192 2" body lift $209 Summit
Bilstein heavy duty shock absorbers $240 ORW
Torsion Bar adjustment and subsequent alignment $50
Boise SpringWorks Kit $190 Boise SpringWorks
Front 1.25" and rear 3" spacers $170 Ebay- Completevalue
Front replacement bump stops - GM PART # 15712438 $23 (new). These are off of the rear of late '90s and early 2000 Chevrolet fullsize pickups and can be purchased used for under $5
Skidz Cut-out Flares $375 (no longer available, however the cuts can still be made and paint or liner applied)
BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO 33x9.50-15 tires $560 4Wheelparts or Summit
Mount and balance $50

GRAND TOTAL = $1697
I don't think I did , although I could be mistaken. It was asked IF 1.5" would work, They might and might work better? IIRC

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ohhhhh, I missread that. i thought the first portion was talking about 33x10.5s, then you threw 33x9.5s in there. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

RIF *reading is fundimental* :idiot:

Im gonna have to add you to my Christmas Card list Brule... :lol: