Spare tire carrier for oversized spare

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:bounce: Yeah! finally another!
What are your plans for packing the spare?
Hmmm...too bad Mark is not willing to part with his mount :?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote::bounce: Yeah! finally another!

I was doing my very best to ignore that situation. :lol: I like my bed covered and dry but, I have picked up a couple cross pieces for the OEM rack. I'm still debating :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote::bounce: Yeah! finally another!

I was doing my very best to ignore that situation. :lol: I like my bed covered and dry but, I have picked up a couple cross pieces for the OEM rack. I'm still debating :wink:
Have you guys tried to fit the 33 inch tire under the bed? I didn't think my 32 would fit but it did and there still looks to be a little more room. The hitch might be the only problem, I have about a inch of room before the spare rubs the hitch.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

My hitch rubs on my stock spare already, so stowing a 32" or 33" spare under there may be out of the question for me :(
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

wamason wrote:My hitch rubs on my stock spare already, so stowing a 32" or 33" spare under there may be out of the question for me :(
Wow! that sucks, did your hitch come with your truck when you bought it? or is it a after market hitch? Mine came with my truck when I bought it new off the lot.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I've got a GM dealer type hitch so, I'll give it a try when they arrive. They are probably 3 weeks away.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I doubt you will have room for the spare underneath. It may clear the hitch, but I doubt you will have adequite clearance near the exhaust pipe.

Since you have a tonneau cover , you can just toss it in the back when you need to carry it. Another option might be to build a receiver hitch mount for it?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Ya, I forgot about when I had my flowmaster put in... I got new custom exaust pipes put on and they were moved over. I have about two inches of clerence from my spare to my exaust pipes.
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

i think HJ's idea is best . Either a custom mount or use a ZR2 tire carrier . i am working on that my self , just trying to source parts in this freakin area is hard .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I doubt you will have room for the spare underneath. It may clear the hitch, but I doubt you will have adequite clearance near the exhaust pipe.

Since you have a tonneau cover , you can just toss it in the back when you need to carry it. Another option might be to build a receiver hitch mount for it?
I have come across a hidden-hitch front Spare Tire Carrier and wonder if it would work on the rear.

Last edited by F9K9 on Tue May 09, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Wow! good find :thumb: ... I bet it would.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...a hidden-hitch front Spare Tire Carrier
There is your answer! That sure looks like it would work really well.
I would, of course...mod it to hinge down for access to the bed. That would be a simple fix though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:Wow! good find :thumb: ... I bet it would.
It's gonna be a $74.95 bet but, guess we'll find out :lol:
HenryJ wrote:There is your answer! That sure looks like it would work really well.........................I would, of course...mod it to hinge down for access to the bed. That would be a simple fix though.
Why do I cringe when I see you write things like that? I happen to know that your Blazer spare tire was a mod that you would not take lightly to repeat from what you have written elsewhere. Pray tell your simple "fix" to make this hinge down :pray:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...Pray tell your simple "fix" to make this hinge down :pray:
With or without welding?
A piece of tubing that fits over that tubing. Cut the side out of one half of the tube. Cut the rack. Slip the tube over the upper piece and drill or bolt in place. Drill two holes in the lower half. Bolt and lock nut the bottom hole. Use a pin for the one above it. Wa, la hingeable!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am having trouble picturing your thought process. Let me think about it overnight and will try have it clear in my mind tomorrow. The same thing would apply to Quickbiker, as well.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I doubt you will have room for the spare underneath. It may clear the hitch, but I doubt you will have adequite clearance near the exhaust pipe.

While looking under my truck to plan on some sort of quick disconnect for...

I noticed all kinds of room in the stock spare location. The exhaust is no where near the spare's location. I have a 3" cat back like Brule's but do not understand the difference. My exhaust is outboard of the passenger side shock. I told the shop to run it in the stock exhaust's location. Did they somehow do it differently?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...My exhaust is outboard of the passenger side shock. I told the shop to run it in the stock exhaust's location. Did they somehow do it differently?
Is your right rear shock on the back side of the axle?
Mine is. My exhaust runs inboard of the right (passenger side) rear shock. I can not tell you if that is the stock location or not since it has been longer than I can remember.

I do know that the 2001 RPO ZR2 Highrider has the right rear shock on the front side of the axle. This is to clear the track bar , I assume.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Both lower shocks are mounted to the rear of the axle. I believe only RPO ZR2s are different. The people who did my exhaust also do lifts (on a small scale). I told them to consider the fact that I was going to do a BL in the future and to do the exhaust accordingly. The exhaust is outboard of the shock so, maybe they spotted a nooby and got one step ahead of me. I still plan on the carrier in the bed and when using the bed tent and/or bedcover, I can store the spare underneath :bounce:

It will be close on the hitch but, I'll be able to swing it forward during the last few inches of travel.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

See if you can get a picture of it when it is in there. I'd like to see how much clearance there is for the differential. Mine sure looks like the tire would rub the rear cover.

Also keep an eye on that cable. With it forced forward, abrasion could be an issue?
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Nice to know you can cary two spares if ever needed! :thumb: :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:See if you can get a picture of it when it is in there. I'd like to see how much clearance there is for the differential. Mine sure looks like the tire would rub the rear cover.

Also keep an eye on that cable. With it forced forward, abrasion could be an issue?
Photos will be taken, of course :wink: The hitch is way closer to the spare now than anything. Teh spare must have swung off to one side (maybe 2") as I tightened it the last time and the wire cable concerned me. I lowered and examined it and it is OK but, it is something to be concerned about.

May do the bed mounted spare tomorrow if, the rain holds off and if, it doesn't, will try the XM radio install. :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Could possibly work but, not with my wheel. It was raining so, no pics. My US Wheel Daytonas center hole are too large for me to feel comforfable with carrying it there. When the wheel/tire combo is in the up position it, barely clears the rear differential if, you bend the brake line bracket closer to the cover and bungy cord the driver's side brake like closer to the axle. The tire is unsupported on the extension that is in line with the cable and the differential and would need to be extended.

Would be a possibility on a black top vacation but, not off-road!

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... a possibility on a black top vacation but, not off-road!
Good to know. Are you ready to add that aux. fuel tank under there now? ;)
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:... a possibility on a black top vacation but, not off-road!
Good to know. Are you ready to add that aux. fuel tank under there now? ;)
WTF are you smoking? :lol:

That won't happen during my "watch" :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like you had the shackles on your truck prior to running the new exhaust? That may be why they had room to install it that way. Mine is much tighter to the frame. Has your spring been rubbing the exhaust pipe? That almost looks like a scratch/ scrape in the second picture.

Nice to see it works. That is the same way a ZR2 exhaust runs.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Looks like you had the shackles on your truck prior to running the new exhaust? That may be why they had room to install it that way. Mine is much tighter to the frame. Has your spring been rubbing the exhaust pipe? That almost looks like a scratch/ scrape in the second picture.

Nice to see it works. That is the same way a ZR2 exhaust runs.

Yes, that does appear to be the leaf "thingy" hitting the exhaust. The shackle hits it as well, but, I did do a little research and kept the "nut" of the daystars end away from the exhaust.

I think, I did the intake, shocks and the shackles in that order. The exhaust was definitely after the shackles.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well my bad wheels and or tires saga continued today and I didn't know where to even begin to post this update :lol:

I have a bad BFG 33/10.50 that a dealer admits is bad but, since I didn't buy it from the jerk (it came from Summit and there is no sense posting suggestions until I make a few calls) he isn't gonna honor the warranty but, I'll address that issue tomorrow :D

The spare could be mounted in the stock location with a few modifications but, I settled on AZS10Crews mount. In the stock location it would only be safe as a street queen and that is not much use to me.

I like the Fabtech mount :D

I have had to run without the tailgate due to the cable recall limbo situation because I sent mine to a service manager via his wife. :shock:

I got them back today but, have not determined if, they are the temporary fix cables or the SS ones. I installed the cables and then decided to determine if I could run my bed cover. Thankfully the answer was YES

ImageImage
ImageImage
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Reed, that is awesome man! I'll trade ya a pewter/black CC for the school bus! :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Quick Question About The Spare Tire Carrier In Your Bed. Does It Let You Enough Room At The Back To Have One Of The Bed Extenders Mounted There Too?? You've Done A Great Job To The Crew It Looks Really Good 8)
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

gocntry wrote:Quick Question About The Spare Tire Carrier In Your Bed. Does It Let You Enough Room At The Back To Have One Of The Bed Extenders Mounted There Too?? You've Done A Great Job To The Crew It Looks Really Good 8)
The carrier has three different threaded holes for different size tire wheel combos. To get my bed cover on I put it in the lowest one which decreased bed room. I just measured and only have 17" where the tire is closest to the tailgate.

Thanks for your and Walt's compliments :D
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:I like the Fabtech mount :D

I think I'm going to have to get me one of these. :idea: Even though my 31" spare fits in the stock location and I've never had a flat with my MT/R's, I would hate to get a flat in some deep snow or mud and have to get that spare out from underneath the Crew. :roll: The bed mount would avoid ever having to this, and I think it looks cool also. :D

BTW, your truck is looking real nice! :wink: Those 33's give it a whole new look! :thumb:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote: I think I'm going to have to get me one of these. :idea: Even though my 31" spare fits in the stock location and I've never had a flat with my MT/R's, I would hate to get a flat in some deep snow or mud and have to get that spare out from underneath the Crew. :roll: The bed mount would avoid ever having to this, and I think it looks cool also. :D

BTW, your truck is looking real nice! :wink: Those 33's give it a whole new look! :thumb:

Steve
Thanks! The soft cover will have to stay rolled up if, I need the spare in cold weather. Once unsnapped in colder weather it is almost impossible to get it snapped back. Something else also to think about is tire rotations. I plan on doing mine in late Oct. whether I have 5k on them or not. :shock:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I was surfing the web and came across this option for in bed tire mount/accessory rack. Thought I would post it for all to take a look at.Rat Cage
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yeah, I seem them before and are very cool but, at $443-$563 they better be cool :lol: I have less than a tenth of that in mine.

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

E-Bay has them right now for $200 Buy-It-Now for the Jeepers package.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I received an interesting PM concerning mounting a spare 33" tire in the stock location. I think it is worthwhile to post my answer where others may gain from it since so many of my photos have been lost in this thread.
f9k9 wrote:I think that Brule's concern with the exhaust was eliminated because I installed my daystar shackles before the 3" cat back was installed and that allowed some variation in it's routing. I could have carried the 33 in the stock location but, it would be tight with a trailer hitch. The brake line crossing between the tire and rear differential cover would also need to be relocated.

My aftermarket diff cover would take up more room than what is in the above photo. I wouldn't want to venture off road with it in the stock location. The frame will flex more than you would like to believe.

The bed mounted carrier is really no problem. I first mounted it with stainless steel bolts and wing nuts. I would put a wrench on each bolt and set my tool box to hold it when I crawled underneath to remove the wing nut.

I went one step further and switched to hitch pins.

It was a minor part of setting up or breaking camp each day and I doubt that Brule would even recall me doing it each day on the WRT trip.

The photo below was from a ZR2 national meet in Hot Springs, AR but, I used the same tent and spare set up as I used in Moab, UT.

HTH
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like the look of the lightbar and removable rear arms for a tire mount the guy fabbed over on ZR2USA.com. Pretty cool set-up.
I'll have to find a link later.

- ThunderII KE7CSK