33's or 32's, and wheels....

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

kermit wrote:The overall difference in section width is only about a 1/2" when mounted on a 7" rim. The difference in weight comes into play in the tread widtth.

Man do these things look AWESOME!!! My right front tire took about 6oz to balance. My buddy said they tried mounting the tire on the rim at different positions and did the best that they could, but the steel rims were very off balance. I'll get some pics as soon as my center caps come in (any day now).
It's been five days. Pics? :) I'll skip the Steve joke since he's going through a rough time right now. :(

EDIT: Just looked at the post date again. Six days. My bad. :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

I'm still waiting on my center caps, but I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow during daylight hours...

The loss in power is not as bad as I thought it would be, though I am definately interested in boosting performance. There is about 400 degrees to turn the wheel in either direction before any tire rub occurs. The larger circumference of the tires also minimizes imperfections in the road making the ride of the truck a lot smoother. I LOVE IT!

It's nice to finally be able look down at a minivan!
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

Ok... so its been a while since I got my tires and I'm still working on my center caps, but I decided to take some pics and post em anyway since I know y'all are dying to see what the cc looks like now. Sorry, no before pics. The mods are not done, I still need spacers and some sort of lift in the rear... among other things.
Image Image Image
more in my gallery
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks Good, Man! 8)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You don't need much for the rear. Depends on what you intend to do before choosing the Boise spring packs or shackles.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

f9k9 wrote:You don't need much for the rear. Depends on what you intend to do before choosing the Boise spring packs or shackles.
I don't have any lift for the rear yet... its actually sitting lower than the front. Looks like a rocket ship getting ready to launch for the moon when its loaded down. :P
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 33's or 32's, and wheels....

Post by _STUCKY »

Brand U.S. Wheel
Manufacturer's Part Number 304-5734P
Part Type Wheels
Product Line U.S. Wheel 304 Series Stealth Star Black Wheels
Summit Racing Part Number USW-304-5734P

Wheel Diameter 15 in.
Wheel Width (in) 7.000 in.
Wheel Material Steel
Primary Wheel Color Black
Wheel Finish Matte
Manufacturers Wheel Series U.S. Wheel 304 Series
Backspacing (in) 4.500 in.
Offset +13.00mm
Wheel Construction 2-piece
Beadlock Functional No
Beadlock Included No
Lug Nut Seat Style Conical seat - 60 degree
Hub Centric No
Center Bore Diameter (in) 3.300 in.
Center Cap Included Yes
Load Rating (lbs) 1,600 lbs.
Valve Stems Included No
Quantity Sold individually.
Wheel Bolt Pattern 5 x 4 3/4 in.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/USW-304-5734P/

Do these look like a good alternative to what is on Reed's truck?

I found them here for $66: http://www.performanceplustire.com/buy- ... -black-rim

Summit has them for $59, but it says 10/25/12 for shipping
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It looks close but, you will lose .25" of back space. I rub with my set up. That being said....if, you decide to order them, I would insist on the installer pull the wheels straight from the boxes and put them straight onto their balancer. Chances are you will have one or more that is not true. I would return them and start over. I had to do this with my wheels that I bought from Summit. They were US Wheel products.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

F9K9 wrote: Chances are you will have one or more that is not true.
I don't like the sound of that. Back to the googling...
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/whee ... =ClassicII

15x8
Weight 17 lbs
3 5/16 back spacing
-30 offset
2000 lbs load capacity

$100-110 range

Thoughts?

Edit:

10 in stock here for $98.20: http://autoplicity.com/products/246688- ... MgodlGEAdw

$103 here with free shipping: http://goodies-speedshop.com/i-7436522- ... wheel.html

$103 here with $20 shipping: http://www.performance4trucks.com/Wheel ... mlprox=out
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I've done more reading and it looks like I need to shoot for 5-5.5 inch back spacing on a 15x8.... So...

http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetail.as ... lID=100348
PART NUMBER: 98-5861S5

15x8, 5 on 4.75 Bolt Pattern Backspace = 5 in.Max Load = 1600 lbs
$60 range

Thoughts?
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I have been reading what guys have been running on regular s10s and blazers (non zr2s). It seems like a lot of people are running 15x8 with 4.5 backspacing and good results. It is getting late and I am still a little bit confused though...

What's ideal for backspacing? Anything wrong with the Mickey thompsons ( 15x8, 3 5/16 backspacing)? Any suggestions on wheels? I'm going to either get some aluminum or black steel, I just need to find an ideal set.

I may be over thinking this. Or thinking about it backwards...
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

In my Sig. you see that I run 15 x 8's with 3 3/4" back space. The stability is great, but in a hard bump or dip my front tires hit my top wheel well. This setup sets 1 1/2" outside the well opening. I'm lifted 1 1/2" front and rear and as long as I keep my speed down to medium when off road it works good with 30 x 9.5 tires. Any bigger tire would mean at least 2" body lift.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So I should be looking for 5-5.5 back spacing?

+1.5
____

Those pro comps are looking appealing if that's the case...

Edit: I'm gonna pull the trigger today on the pro comp part number 98-5861S5 if no one tells me other wise... So if they are a bad choice, speak up or forever hold your peace :D about $256 shipped
http://www.performance4trucks.com/Wheel ... MgodAF4AVg
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

PART NUMBER: 98-5861S5

15x8, 5 on 4.75 Bolt Pattern Backspace = 5 in.Max Load = 1600 lbs

This is what I ordered. They are a special order wheel, apparently. 4-6 weeks. $307 for 5 shipped from summit

http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetail.as ... lID=100348
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I believe you're over thinking this. Finding an ideal backspacing will be almost impossible, Get close and then deal with it through spacers and or have some one lay down a bead or two on your oem steering stops. My preference is to deal with a rub. I prefer to have little tighter turning radius when doing a three point turn while looking down at a couple of thousand feet of a drop off when doing such a turn. I think Brule can affirm my preferences in that department. :roflmao:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Frame rub doesn't concern me. I've dealt with it on the k5 and the yj. I plan to cut as much sheetmetal as I can (or need to). So I should be ok with these? I'm wanting to go without spacers if I can.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It should work. That's a quarter inch more BS than my US Wheels came with. There's no more sheet metal to cut at this point. You'll be on the frame IIRC.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Ooooh boy...

I have a feeling deep, deep down in my gut that I should call summit early in the a.m. to switch my order to 4.5 inch backspacing.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I still don't have my wheels...

Many calls have been made...

Apparently the backspacing has caused much confusion with pro comp...

:x
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

:rock:

Apparently, I talked to the right guy today when I called Summit. He just called me back and said that Pro Comp sent him a tracking number. Wheels are on the way, finally!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Summit dragged arse along with my orders for wheels and tires too. If, no tracking number is given to you........
Call Desert Rat! Once I called Summit back to cancel my order due to the availability with Desert Rat, Summit literally beamed the crap to my door step inside of 2 days.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I think it was more a problem with pro comp than summit. I kept getting asked if they were for a car, and what kind of a car. They literally were not made until Monday. I'm just hoping that they are all "true" like you said.

I had a bad experience dealing with desert rat on the lift for the yj. I waited for probably 2 or 3 months for it to ship, then when it showed up, it didn't have the front springs. And what I have is not what I ordered. For whatever reason it was going to be even longer to get military wrapped springs, so the order was changed. If I knew then what I know now, I'd of ordered 2 pair of new wagoneer springs, made shackles, measured for shocks, and cut to fit 35s. Live and learn.