33's or 32's, and wheels....

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

33's or 32's, and wheels....

Post by Walt »

I need some advice. Here's my predicament.

I bought the 8" wide wheels with intentions of going with 32x11.5x15's, to insure that I wouldn't have any problems with the bead. Well, now I'm not so sure I'm going with 32's. I'm thinking about the 33's. BUT, I don't really like the way my 31's looks now on my wheels. And putting a 9.5" tire on these will look worse IMO. If I go with the 33's, I'll sell the wheels I have now and get the 7" wide wheel of the same type (since they're not that expensive). Then there's the choice of 10.5 or 9.5" wide 33's :lol: Not sure if the 10.5" wide ones will fit (sure wish someone would volunteer to be the guinea pig on this one).
I sure wish BFG made a 31x11.5 :) If anyone hasn't noticed, I tend to prefer wider tires :D

Then there's the performance difference. The 33x9.5's will definitely perform better as far as power in concerned, and I think wet traction will probably be better. Depending on the terrain, offroad traction could go either way...

Decisions decisions.... :? Anyone have any suggestions or new info to add?

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'll be removing my flares soon to put the new trim on (thanks Justin :)), and I'll probably see what I can do/beat on the inside of the rear of the front fender (confused yet?) to get a little more clearance. Why more clearance? I guess to have some breathing room incase I ever disconnect my front sway bar to go offroading :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: 33's or 32's, and wheels....

Post by a2b »

Walt wrote:I tend to prefer wider tires :D
too bad you have the wide tire hadicapped truck :lol:

if you like wide tires, then i only see you with a shorter tire so you can have it wider. i dont think you will like the tall skinny tire.

i hope the BS on your 8" rim is deep. aftermarket rims usually dont have much and they rub on our s-10s like a mofo
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

why aren't you going 32X11.50?
i think that tire would look real nice on your setup.

i think procomp makes a 31X12.50....how about that, that'll give you the wide stance you want?

i think the 33X9.50 will look a little too pizza cutterish if you try to stick them way out, i do however like the look of HJ's rig.

it's a toughy.....don't go 33X12.50 ;) just a little too much :lol:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yea, a 33x12.5 would rub like crazy. My wheels have 4" of backspacing. My tires line up almost perfectly with my flares, so its not that I want my tires to stick out anymore, I just want to go bigger.

I'd like to stick with an AT, and can get a pretty good deal on BFG tires (I really like the ATKO for an AT).
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What no nerve for the 33/10.50s you wanted me to try?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:What no nerve for the 33/10.50s you wanted me to try?
:lol: once I change out the trim and see how much more room I can make under the fenders I might just give it a wack :)

The biggest problem is the inside of the of the back of the front fenders. I have plenty of room at the outside edge, so if I can fix the inside, the 33x10.5's might work.
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Walt, what kind of terrain do you wheel your CC on? The 32x11.5's will have better flotation, while the 33x9.5's will have better ground clearance. Personally I would get the 32's since you will have better overall traction and they will do better than the 33's in snow or mud. :D What is more important to you, ground clearance or traction? :wink: Another thing to keep in mind is that a taller tire will take more power to turn, so your CC will be a little slower. If I can ever get the $ together I will be going with 32x11.5 MT/R's and 4.10 gears front and rear. :D

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

killian96ss wrote:Walt, what kind of terrain do you wheel your CC on? The 32x11.5's will have better flotation, while the 33x9.5's will have better ground clearance. Personally I would get the 32's since you will have better overall traction and they will do better than the 33's in snow or mud. :D What is more important to you, ground clearance or traction? :wink: Another thing to keep in mind is that a taller tire will take more power to turn, so your CC will be a little slower. If I can ever get the $ together I will be going with 32x11.5 MT/R's and 4.10 gears front and rear. :D

Steve
My truck will probably see snow four or five times in its lifetime, unless I take a trip to a snowy place :lol: I've had it for 2 years and it hasn't seen any snow yet. Most of my offroading would be mud-related. Although I live in a hilly area, there are no places/trails to rockclimb. In all honesty, I don't offroad alot, that's one reason I'm sticking with an AT. My wife would never forgive me if I get MT's. :lol: Concerning the taller tire, I'm wondering if the width and height difference between the 33x10.5 and 32x11.5 will make much of a difference? I love the tall look of Brule's tires, but also like the look of wider tires as well.
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote: ....................I would get the 32's since you will have better overall traction and they will do better than the 33's in snow or mud.
This may be true for mud but, that 1st gen AWD Eclipse I had would just float on snow with 205/55 x 16s (I think that was the size) and couldn't go anywhere with them. I picked up a base model set of 14" tires and wheels for winter and as long as the snow was no deeper than the ground effects it would go like h*ll!.

As a side note if you want those 33s you better order them now because I ordered mine on May 8th and I still have 3 weeks to wait IF they aren't pushed back again.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A narrower tire and traction : Tire Selection for Expedition Travel
A tall, narrow tire is a better choice for all off-highway surface conditions with the exception of soft sand, snow and soft mud that's depth exceeds 110% of the vehicles minimum ground clearance.

Summit can be a real problem on backordered parts. They do not actively seek the parts. I waited six months for a blower that never did arrive. I checked the progress with customer service several times. Finally I gave up , ordered else where and had the part within a week. They tend to BS you about the availability. I'm not sure where the problem lies. They may not be able to get just small quantities and wait until the larger order can be met? What ever the reason, I boycotted them for quite a while after that incident :roll: like I made a difference :lol:

33x10.5's will rub in the rough stuff. I was able to get the 9.50's to rub a little recently. I have 4.75" rear spacing. Without adding to the stops the tires will rub the frame bad. Some loss there is inevitable. A 32x10.5 would clear I would think , but I am not sure the 32x11.5 would be trouble free. If you want wider tires the 31x10.5 may be the answer for a rub free combination. We really won't know until someone else trys it. I do think the 33x10.5's would work for someone who doesn't offroad. They would be tight, but should just clear.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'm seriously considering the 33x10.5's now. :) I get my BFG's from wallyworld (the T&L Express manager is a good friend). Hopefully they'll be able to get them when the time comes :)
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:I'm seriously considering the 33x10.5's now. :) I get my BFG's from wallyworld (the T&L Express manager is a good friend). Hopefully they'll be able to get them when the time comes :)

Hung up with Summit and was my usual pleasant self. 33x10.50s were listed at @ $134 (old style). Ordered 5 but, they only had 3! New model was $170 sumpthin' and I went off :!: Five are allegedly shipping out tomorrow at approx. $150 each. So, I guess I'll be the "10.50" whore. I have stock rims (in reserve), I am running 4.75" BS rims, 1.25", 2" and 3" spacers available to play with. What I do not have is a bunch of time to test and report as much as i'd like to. Will try to take notes and answer any questions you have during the destruction of my IFS. :lol:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:I guess I'll be the "10.50" whore.
:lol: Somebody had to do it, and I'm sure Walt really appreciates it. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt? The Walt that I like immensely? The "moderator" Walt? The "Walt" that I told Mrs Hoff that I was worried about during Katrina? Never heard of the guy 8) Image
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Should be interesting. A nice test :)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:Walt? The Walt that I like immensely? The "moderator" Walt? The "Walt" that I told Mrs Hoff that I was worried about during Katrina? Never heard of the guy 8) Image
:lol: Reed, you're a good guy, no matter what Brule, or Steve, Barch, Top, Justin, George or Bill say about ya :lol: j/k
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I am in a state of shock :!: Those suckers are enroute via UPS and now I am having all kinds of second thoughts. Do my shackles equal the lift of Brule's Boise spring packs, is my tb crank as high as Brule's, should I not have already sold my Geolanders to a coworker so I could have them mounted on stock rims in the case of a suspension warranty issue? I gotta bury those thoughts and quote the most famous of all Marines during the battle of the Chosin Reservoir :lol:

[quote="Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller"]"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."[/quote]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you did your homework, you know they will work.
They are going to look simply AWESOME!

You will need to add to your spindle stops. Those are going to rub the frame bad enough to need that. A few little passes with a welder should do the job.

My guess would be no spacers on the front and the 2" on the rear for the wheels that you have.

Of course we want pictures when they arrive. A good before and after shot in the same place and position would be cool too.

It is like a birthday in June! Oh, wait I resemble that remark :lol: Happy birthday! I am excited to see how they work out :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Hopefully, this time next week they'll be in the process of of being installed :D I'll try to get the pics "before" but, definitely "after" :lol: Now if, I could get a certain "hemi" owner to locate a box to ship an unused spare tire carrier :wink:

If it is your B-day, Brule, or close to it..........Image
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Reed, I think I'm almost excited as you are :)
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:Reed, I think I'm almost excited as you are :)
Thanks :D I will keep that in mind when I go outside and visit with them, smell them, offer them a cold beer, offer them a little guidance because UPS delivered them today Image. Mrs Hoff started to say something about the costs and I mentioned "parrot" and the subject was suddenly goneImage

Install and photos by sundown this SA, I promise.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Roll one of those tires up next to yours and take a picture. We can not wait till Saturday! :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

its been over a Hour now and still no pics of it next to his truck whats going on in KY
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yes, Emperor

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeff024 wrote:its been over a Hour now and still no pics of it next to his truck whats going on in KY
I've been busy working with the Parrot :lol:

Last edited by F9K9 on Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

now THAT"S a tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: :bounce:
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks, I guess we'll see how they work out with the front suspension. BTW, the white lettering just happened to be out, You'll not see it again unless my spare ends up in a photo :lol:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

the white out on the BFGs look better
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'm jealous now :)
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeff024 wrote:the white out on the BFGs look better
And you love chrome which is cool but, I prefer the DARK SIDEImage
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:I'm jealous now :)

Why? You wanted a guinea pig?
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

f9k9 wrote:
jeff024 wrote:the white out on the BFGs look better
And you love chrome which is cool but, I prefer the DARK SIDEImage
Black is beautiful! well when it comes to tires :lol:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:
Walt wrote:I'm jealous now :)

Why? You wanted a guinea pig?
:lol: because I'll probably have to wait till next year to get mine. :(
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule,

Are you confident in deleting my front 1.25 inch spacers for the tire installation? I am writing up the instructions for the shop for when I drop my rig off in the morning. Will I be able to get it home without trimming my valence?

Thanks,

Reed
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Are you confident in deleting my front 1.25 inch spacers for the tire installation?
I don't think you will clear the rear of the front fender , while turning if you leave them on there.
Will I be able to get it home without trimming my valence?
I would take a hack saw with you. You will have less than half an inch clearance with the wheels straight. I'm afraid one will rub when you turn.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:Are you confident in deleting my front 1.25 inch spacers for the tire installation?
I don't think you will clear the rear of the front fender , while turning if you leave them on there.
Will I be able to get it home without trimming my valence?
I would take a hack saw with you. You will have less than half an inch clearance with the wheels straight. I'm afraid one will rub when you turn.
Thanks for the usual quick response :thumb:
Walt wrote:Reed, I think I'm almost excited as you are :)
I appreciate it "Mr Moderator" :thumb:

It didn't hurt my feelings to empty all my gear and load them up :wink:

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I wouldn't call them the five dwarfs, but I hear a tune coming from them- hi , ho, hi, ho...it's off to mount we go :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

I believe that RidinHigh put some 32s on his rig when he did his SL. He might be have some insight into this topic too.
[size=75]Tom (Knight) Houston, TX
2005 BlazeR2 (still have)
2013 Avalanche LTZ (Z71 front end and flares/0
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
2006 Avalanche Z71 (sold)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Skidz Flares and no suspension lift really change things.
Reed is testing uncharted waters here. I am close with my combination, but beyond that I have only estimates and guesses.
We will soon see the limits :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Is it just me or do we all feel nervous and anticipatory for the results of the mounting of these tires ?
Even though I think that the 33x9.5 tire has it's advantages over a 10.5 , ( when concerning our front ends) I do have to say the 10.5's do look better .
Maybe with the added stress of a wider tire , we should all look into the 1ton pitman/idler arm mod. I hear that there is a "kit" being R&D'd for it as we speak . Just in time me thinks .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

A few before and after shots. I'll try to organize it a little bit better at a later time. My first impression is that while the height is nice, I lost a bunch of steering radius. I'll let Brule look at the photos but, I think I can put the 1.25" spacers back on and gain a lot of what was lost.

BEFORE

AFTER

BTW, I already jumped them about my weights being on the outside of the rim and it will be corrected.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... I lost a bunch of steering radius. I'll let Brule look at the photos but, I think I can put the 1.25" spacers back on and gain a lot of what was lost.
That frame rub looks very familiar. Give the spacers a try. I think you will hit the rear of the front fender , as well as the bumper when turning. Put a tire up on the curb, or a ramp afterward and turn the tire to the closest points and see. Heck you will probably hit without any articluation running spacers on the front now.
I already jumped them about my weights being on the outside of the rim and it will be corrected.
You might consider just painting the weights black? Dynamic balancing on a tire this big may be an advantage?

That looks like a bunch of weight in a couple of those. I'd make them rotate the tire 180 on the wheel and try again for a better balance. With that much weight they may not be able to static balance them.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

looks good as far as the weights go I would have lost my freakin mind
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:... I lost a bunch of steering radius. I'll let Brule look at the photos but, I think I can put the 1.25" spacers back on and gain a lot of what was lost.
That frame rub looks very familiar. Give the spacers a try. I think you will hit the rear of the front fender when turning. Put a tire up on the curb, or a ramp afterward and turn the tire to the closest point. Heck you will probably hit without any articulation running spacers on the front now.
I already jumped them about my weights being on the outside of the rim and it will be corrected.
You might consider just painting the weights black? Dynamic balancing on a tire this big may be an advantage?

You are more than likely to be correct on the balancing but, I wish you could see the amount of lead on those suckers :lol:

I had some articulated shots of the front on a ramp but, her battery died and I cannot retrieve the pics without bothering her at work. I'll throw them up asap and go by what you judge. I think I can do it. If, I am correct we have the same BS (when you count your spacers) and I have a 1" wider tire which means I, lost 1/2" of movement before contacting w/the frame compared to you? Is this anywhere near correct?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeff024 wrote:looks good as far as the weights go I would have lost my freakin mind
And why is that, Bro? :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:You are more than likely to be correct on the balancing but, I wish you could see the amount of lead on those suckers
Read my post again I edited it shortly after posting. If you have that much weight they should have rotated the tire on the wheel to try for a better balance.
I think I can do it. If, I am correct we have the same BS (when you count your spacers) and I have a 1" wider tire which means I, lost 1/2" of movement before contacting w/the frame compared to you? Is this anywhere near correct?
Sounds about right. Your wheels are wider so your section width may be slightly wider.
I only had 3/4" space in this photo-

You are 1/2" closer, right? Now add the spacers and you come up a full inch too close, right?

Like I said , try it while you still have the spacers :mg:

The loss of turning radius is not that bad. You get used to it. You do need to add to the stops though. That hard of frame rubbing is going to strees other components and is not safe in an emergency maneuver.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

f9k9 wrote:
jeff024 wrote:looks good as far as the weights go I would have lost my freakin mind
because if you never had them on there before and now you remove them theres gonna be scratches,they could have put them all on the back and use some stick ons
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeff024 wrote:
f9k9 wrote:
because if you never had them on there before and now you remove them theres gonna be scratches,they could have put them all on the back and use some stick ons
I go with your reply first :wink: They are $40 wheels and if, they get scratched and it really bothers me then, I'll recycle them. If, I had your wheels and the morons put that much weight on the outside, I'd freak too, BIG TIME :lol:
HenryJ wrote:That frame rub looks very familiar. Give the spacers a try. I think you will hit the rear of the front fender , as well as the bumper when turning. Put a tire up on the curb, or a ramp afterward and turn the tire to the closest points and see. Heck you will probably hit without any articluation running spacers on the front now.

That looks like a bunch of weight in a couple of those. I'd make them rotate the tire 180 on the wheel and try again for a better balance. With that much weight they may not be able to static balance them.

OK, I think you edited a post but, I thought I read that you thought that I have 8" rims. Mine are 7" rims. So, if, my rims are 1.25" less back spaced than your (admittedly good looking ZR5 wheels) wheels does that not equal your 6" stock BS with 1.25" spacers?

I know that I am old, thin skinned and a minority but, can someone help Brule explain this to me?

I'll get better photos to show why I think it may be possible to correct this situation with the 1.25" spacers.

BTW, may I assume that the tire wgts may be better mounted outside in my case? Skip that, I'll start a thread elsewhere if, I am unable to locate an answer through search :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Mine are 7" rims.
I thought they were 8", you're right. That won't do much but add some section width, so I really wasn't thinking that was a big deal.
So, if, my rims are 1.25" less back spaced than your (admittedly good looking ZR5 wheels) wheels does that not equal your 6" stock BS with 1.25" spacers?
If your wheels are 7" then yes, exactly the same as mine with the spacers.
...can someone help Brule explain this to me?
I am going to keep trying :lol:
I have 3/4" clearance. You are 1/2" wider (each side). That makes only 1/4" clearance left for you. If you add the 1.25" spacers you will solve your frame rubbing problem and it will clear easily. BUT, you will now rub the rear of your fender just as bad as you rub the frame now. Ideally you should have 1" clearance in both places. That is not going to happen. By my calculations you are as close to the fender as is tolerable if you want to articulate any at all. The only thing you can do is add to the stops to prevent the frame rub.

Like I said , slap those spacers on there and give it a try :mg:
My only worry is that the frame rubbing is tire to steel. the fender rubbing will be tire to plastic flare. Which will give?
may I assume that the tire wgts may be better mounted outside in my case?
The weights are usually both inside and out. That shop should know that anything over 4.5 ounces you need to dismount and rotate the tire. The wheel may be out of balance and the tire out of balance. With your luck they lined up the heavy side of each instead of having them opposite and counterbalancing each other. Take them back and have them try again. You can tell them that they feel out of balance and would they please try rotating the tire 180 on the wheel to achieve a better balance. Some shops are lazy or just don't know any better. Help them learn.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I probably should have added that Dynamic balancing is balancing two directions. inside to outside as well as around.

Static balancing (all to one side) balances around , but not inside to out.

There is a thread here that explains these in better detail.

Wheel balancing

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Good info, thanks!
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

aw man , i just see red x's . :-(
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Don't know why but, I have more that 3/4" room.

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Ok Reed, enough teasing. Show us some full-truck shots :)
--Walt
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Yeah! what walt said! :pray:
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

YEAH!!!!!!! what they said!!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'll take some pics when I get home tonight. I just had the wheels rebalanced. The owner had me go into the shop to observe the tires while they were spinning. Two of those tires had a bad wobble to them when you looked at them from directly from the tread side. I'll give summit a call tonight.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Don't know why but, I have more that 3/4" room.

Ok, I give.
You're right you do have more than that. So do I.... on a flat surface.

Add the spacers.

Just be careful when you turn the wheels and take that first curb cut.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm just going to put one one and check it out sometime, somewhere close to the house. You're probably correct.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...You're probably correct.
Not always. I do tend to err to the side of caution, and have been known to "overbuild" at times.

I would have tried them by now. Patience is another thing I need to work on :?

They will solve the frame rubbing for sure. If you can get by with the fender clearance, then that is the way to go. Heck you may not twist it up nearly as much as I do, and probably don't take the roads as hard either :lol:

For a "street queen" I would have been more confident that they might just get by. A assume that you take yours offroad once and a while though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yes, it is not a street queen and we have a weekend or more once a month in the summer time to give her a work out. :wink:

Some requested full truck shots so, here they are and as poor as they are. I had to be up all night with a "situation" and really don't have the patience with her camera, at the moment. If, I put the camera's "crosshairs" on what I want to show, the yellow goes almost white. If, I place the crosshairs on the yellow..........well, you'll see below.

It's dirty and I apologize. If, there is an interest, I'll retake photos another time when it is clean and I can fool with the new camera I'll be getting on Sunday.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Oh, yeah! That thing looks awesome!

I bet that ramp feels like a tiny bump :thumb: You need to find a real obstacle to try things out now.

Next thing you need to pick up when you drop by the hardware store is a couple of those black rubber caps for your tow hooks, a couple bolts, wing nuts and pins for your front disconnect. Then air down and get with some really good offroading.

Well done :clap: You should feel proud of what you have there for sure :bow:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks, I owe it all to you and the member's here :thumb:

The front disconnect is in the planning stage but, I still have a few other mods in the works that I am sure will take 4 times as long as they should :lol:
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

:cheers: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

:shock: :shock:

I want that :cry:
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

F9K9 Your Truck Looks Great :thumb:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Reed, just awesome. Perfectly awesome. :) How do you like the ride and such compared to your previous tires?

BTW, I changed the positioning of the pics so they'd be easier to see for those who have lower monitor resolutions and eliminate the need to scroll horizontally to read through the thread. :)

You da man! :lol:
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Now, I have to come up some quick disconnect ideas for the spare tire carrier so, I can still use the bed cover and my tent :roll:
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

reed....can you put the spare in a basket on top???
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:reed....can you put the spare in a basket on top???
I've debated a basket and have shopped for one for over a year but, then I think about washing and waxing the top, wind resistance, costs, etc.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

*cue the "Pinkie and the Brain" music* Reed, are you pondering what I'm pondering? :lol: You could put a set of KC's on your rack up top, and put the spare behind them. That way it wouldn't stand out as much.
--Walt
Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

That really does look nice! Disco that sway bar, stick er in the "git-r-dun" 4-LO mode, and twist er up like this! That'll tell ya if they're gunna rub er not! :lol:
[size=75][b][color=orange][i]~Jeremy[/i][/color][/b]

[i][b][color=blue]'00 ZR2 Blazer, 33" KM2's on PA3's, Lock Right in Iron front diff/Detroit Locker in rear, sway-bar disco's, 1-Ton P & I Arms[/color][/b][/i]

[b][color=yellow]BlaZeR pics [/color][/b][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/b240/Muslhed/Best%20Blazer%20pics/][b][color=red]HERE[/color][/b][/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Muslhed wrote:That really does look nice! Disco that sway bar, stick er in the "git-r-dun" 4-LO mode, and twist er up like this! That'll tell ya if they're gunna rub er not! :lol:
That looks fun! :bounce:
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:*cue the "Pinkie and the Brain" music* Reed, are you pondering what I'm pondering? :lol: You could put a set of KC's on your rack up top, and put the spare behind them. That way it wouldn't stand out as much.
Maybe later this year but, better keep the mods cheap for now :!:

Muslhed wrote:That really does look nice! Disco that sway bar, stick er in the "git-r-dun" 4-LO mode, and twist er up like this! That'll tell ya if they're gunna rub er not! :lol:

Does look like a lot of fun but, I still have to get a few things finished up before I try that. Little things like emergency brakes and completing the sliders :nana: