Shock Tock

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Shock Tock

Post by HenryJ »

What is your next set of shocks going to be?

I've had good luck with the Bilisteins on my old S-10.

The guy at the auto parts here is trying the Rancho adjustables, I think it's the same ones Conman has on the Zoozoo, and love's them.

I have lots of time to decide. The stock shocks leave something to be desired (to be nice) in the rough stuff. :roll:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i have bilsteins on the way :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:shock: We need part #'s :!:

Details?...$...where....boot color....

I'm jealous :bounce:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote::shock: We need part #'s :!:

Details?...$...where....boot color....

I'm jealous :bounce:

someone on zr2.com posted them for free as long as i payed shipping. so i sent them 15 bucks. hope they fit :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Guess I spend too much time here, better "hang" over there a little more often ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Shock Tock

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:What is your next set of shocks going to be?

I've had good luck with the Bilisteins on my old S-10.

The guy at the auto parts here is trying the Rancho adjustables, I think it's the same ones Conman has on the Zoozoo, and love's them.

I have lots of time to decide. The stock shocks leave something to be desired (to be nice) in the rough stuff. :roll:

Racho has a new RS9000 called RS9000X. it's got 9 way adjustable(instead of the 5 like mine) and is suppose to be valved differently(aka better than the regular RS9000). ProComp has adjustable shocks now too.

Before getting the RS9000, I was close to getting the Procomp ES9000(or OME shocks but I don't think they have one for the Crew since the s10 is not sold in australia) which are non-adjustable but is suppose to be "auto" adjusting(similar to Ranchos RSX shocks). Procomp does have an adjustable shock called the MX-6. It's six way adjustable, but I think it's an marketing thing and IMHO, 3 positions is probably enough instead of 9(let alone 5).

One reason I did not want to get adjustable shocks is that you have to get under the truck to change the settings. but I know a few people with RS9000 and they normally set it and forget it on the street, and only turn them up when towing or off-roading. One plus for the Rancho is that they have an incab controller but it's not cheap(140bucks) and unless you change road conditions daily, overkill(but cool feature anyway).

Never used the Bilsteins but heard nothing bad about them. Just heard reports that people say they are rough on the road(people say that about the Rancho RS5000 and Procomp ES3000 also).

Good Luck,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yeah, i have heard that the pro comp and rancho 5000 are terrible rought, but then again, they are off road shocks so what do you expect. i have a friend that got the procomp mx6, he likes them. i think its whatever you want, IMO
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

update on my RS9000 shocks:

It's been two weeks now so I figure I'll give an update on the performance. Just for some background, I only had the front shocks installed because the rear I had the wrong bushings(I ordered longer than what Rancho recommended because I have ARB/OME 1.5" Lift coils in the rear which would max out the shocks they recommend). The Trooper's shocks are soft to begin with so I figure I'll try setting 3(out of 5) first. This was some what soft(aka little bouncy) but this might have been more pronounce because I was using the stock shocks in the rear and the OME coils are progressive(softer and first and get firmer when more compressed) which might have made it more bouncy all around. I wanted to try setting 2(more soft) and this was way too bouncy. I went to 4(firmer) and this was much better but was def. more harsh on bumps than stock was, but felt much more stable. The trooper weighs more than the Crew so I bet if the RS9000 were on the Crew, 3 would be about the same ride as 4 is on the Trooper. I'm getting the bushings next week so I'll mount the rears and get a better feel of the performance of the shocks. A Trooper owner I know runs settting 3 and 3 with OME coils but he has stiffer Sway-Away Torsion bars. I'm hoping after the rear RS9k are installed, I can drop to 3 in the front which would make it much nicer over bumps.

So my seat of the pants opinion, RS9000 work well for lighter vehicles(1 and 2 are almost useless for my Trooper) but at setting 5(firmest), might be too harsh for lighter vehicles. So I'm changing my stance on the new RS9000X 9way adjustable as it should give better control options of the shocks for lighter and heavier vehicles. I think the RS9000X are the same price as the regular RS9000. I got my shocks right before rancho released the RS9X models or I would have considered them.

Just my two cents. :)

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]