Brake Caliper slide pins stuck *solved*

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Brake Caliper slide pins stuck *solved*

Post by cdnuser »

Split topic-HJ

I am starting to have a noise problem now too.

Mine sounds like a metal squeak stops when I hit the brakes or go over 30mph

I think it is from the drivers side.

I wonder if it is the parking brake getting stuck on?
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4273
Check out this thread. It is most likely your brakes. You'll need to start lubing your slide pins. Actually, I just found and fixed a seized slide pin this weekend while replacing the only rotor wasn't replaced in over four years-Long story. I use to have the same issue, until Istarted lubing the slides. And you'll need brake caliper/slide lube, not regular grease, to withstand the higher temps.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4273
Check out this thread. It is most likely your brakes. You'll need to start lubing your slide pins. Actually, I just found and fixed a seized slide pin this weekend while replacing the only rotor wasn't replaced in over four years-Long story. I use to have the same issue, until Istarted lubing the slides. And you'll need brake caliper/slide lube, not regular grease, to withstand the higher temps.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

WVHogRider wrote:http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4273

Thanks!!! You hit it right on the button. It was both rear slide pins sized right up. Hum now my truck rolls a lot smoother. I had all four lubed.

Now all I have to do is get new plugs and wires and some other maintence before I start modding.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I did my brakes today. My truck has 75k miles now. The front pins are SS and looked really good. Still lubed and free. The rear were free and The left side looked perfect. The right side had one pin showing signs of moisture intrusion. This one , while free, was showing signs of trouble. The rotor did have some uneven wear. This may or may not have been because of the slide pins.
There was still lubrication , but it looked more like wax.

I cleaned everything up during the brake job and applied new lubricant. I hope to be good for another 50k miles at least :D
Gotta love the high desert for the preservation of parts :woohoo:
My condolences to those of you who have to deal with the humidity and the damage it does to the brake system. :(

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:......My condolences to those of you who have to deal with the humidity and the damage it does to the brake system. :(
I just wish that would ease my mind a little more. :wink: Mine were frozen under 30K. Slide pins should be addressed often. I do not know what the correct interval is but, they are suspect anytime. I like Steve's intervals. Inspected each oil change and service every other one. I replaced my rear pins, serviced as recommended, Skipped one interval and they were frozen again. That just may be me, though :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote: Gotta love the high desert for the preservation of parts :woohoo:
My condolences to those of you who have to deal with the humidity and the damage it does to the brake system. :(
Glad the desert's working for you. I have a LOT of trouble with mine. :( I have to service them every 3k or I'll have stuck pins and uneven pads. :idea: I'm currently toying with the idea of drilling grease supply holes in the mounts which would be accessible from between the spokes of the wheels without removing them. When I have to run in mud out here there's a high silica sand content in it and even 50 or more miles with mud buildup in my rear wheels wipes out the rubber pin boots allowing moisture to enter thus accelerating the problem. And yes I realize I'll have to keep the holes for grease small so as not to weaken the mount bracket.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.