MAX weight you would put in bed..im talkin stationary...

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

MAX weight you would put in bed..im talkin stationary...

Post by purduecrew »

Ok, so my friends and I want to turn my bed into a hot tub for football tailgating this summer. My truck is an 03 with tow package, and the three leaf kit from boise.

I measured the bed as a max 54" x 56" x 16". This calculates to right at 1700 lbs of water if filled to the top of the bed. Obviously, four people would displace some of this water. So I figured probably only roughly 10 inches of water, which comes down to like 925 lbs give or take. 4 bodies would be max of 600 lbs. This would put real world figure at 1550 lbs. If the truck was just sitting there, would I hurt anything? I thought about putting jack stands under the hitch bar, so that the 600 lbs of people getting in would all be transfered to the ground. That would keep truck payload in the 1000 pound range, which if I remember right is well within payload capacity of 1050.

CLIFF NOTES: Basically how much weight would you risk going before damage was to occur to the truck???
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

you've got some skinny friends if they are only going to weigh 600 tops. Thats 150 each, and not a very common number (especially for guys that stand around and drink beer before games).

Put some jackstands under the hitch before you fill it, and maybe a set under the front spring perch as well. Those should hold the weight just fine, and are easy enough to carry around.

Driving with that much water unbaffled is a SERIOUS hazzard....but you knew that :D
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Bla, I had 1800 pounds of concrete in the bed of my 92 and had no problems, and I drove it like that for 10+ miles so I could get the concrete to the dump. And yes, it was 1800 pounds because I had to get the truck weighed before and after to determine the bill.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: MAX weight you would put in bed..im talkin stationary...

Post by barch97 »

purduecrew wrote:Ok, so my friends and I want to turn my bed into a hot tub for football tailgating this summer.
You're not planning to park over a fire to heat the water, are you? :lol:

purduecrew wrote:I measured the bed as a max 54" x 56" x 16". This calculates to right at 1700 lbs of water if filled to the top of the bed. Obviously, four people would displace some of this water. So I figured probably only roughly 10 inches of water, which comes down to like 925 lbs give or take. 4 bodies would be max of 600 lbs. This would put real world figure at 1550 lbs.
54"x56"x10"=30240 cubic inches / 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot = 17.5 cubic feet x 62.42796 lbs/cubic foot =

1092.4893 lbs of water
+ 4 "guys" at a more realistic 250 lbs each
~2,100 pounds

that's assuming all four drunk guys at the tailgate party sit still and don't bounce around in the "hot tub".

You SO better record this. At the very least you'll have something to send into america's funniest videos. :wink:
Last edited by barch97 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

What if you bought a cheap kid's pool, threw it on a trailer and pulled it to the parking lot instead?
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

barch97 wrote:You SO better record this...
Yes yes!
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Walt wrote:
barch97 wrote:You SO better record this...
Yes yes!
I'll second that!
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

barch97 wrote:You're not planning to park over a fire to heat the water, are you? :lol:
Or park next to a 2008 Ford Super Duty
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

hahaha ohhh guys. it will take place late this summer. i only weigh 160, and the other three people will be a guy and two other girls. i mean common, you guys think all i have is guy friends??? lol. i will for sure get it on film. my buddy is gonna put his big screen in the bed of his truck, and back the trucks up together. it should be a swell time!! but the consensus sounds like 1000-1500 lbs isnt really out of the question...
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

BADs Crew wrote:
barch97 wrote:You're not planning to park over a fire to heat the water, are you? :lol:
I love that video. Our diesel tech at the dealership showed me that the other day. I especially enjoy how the pavement starts to smoke early on in the video. :evil:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

at a car show 2 summers ago, i ran my truck around with 6 people in the box (sitting on wheel wells, floor, and rails) and 6 people inside the cab. wish i would have had that on tape or at least a picture of it. we raced another s10 and kept up pretty well considering he was on stock tires and only had 1 passenger! :lol:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

purduecrew wrote:hahaha ohhh guys. it will take place late this summer. i only weigh 160, and the other three people will be a guy and two other girls. i mean common, you guys think all i have is guy friends??? lol. i will for sure get it on film. my buddy is gonna put his big screen in the bed of his truck, and back the trucks up together. it should be a swell time!! but the consensus sounds like 1000-1500 lbs isnt really out of the question...
You're an engineering student right? If so go find the formula for calculating hydrostatic forces on a fixed object. The beds not real deep so I don't think it would be a problem, however I bed you'de be surprised at how much side loading there is in that example!
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

nah im not an engineer, im business management specializing in finance and economics...but i do have SOME common sense(not alot). i was thinkin about the load on the sides of the bed near the taillights. i could run a rope across the back and take alot of stress off however. btw, anyone know of a management internship this summer at their place of employment??
[size=75]2003 Black CC
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Don't know of any internships, and like I said I haven't run the calcs, but the bed should hold (I've seen pics of this done before as well).
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Redneck Hottub

I see that with a Crew Cab in the near future
michaels86svo
Regular
Regular

Post by michaels86svo »

I'm remodeling my house and I picked up a load of tile at HOMEDEPOT.It squated my truck alot and my tires rubbed the bed every little bump on the 17mi. highway home.Here's what I had and never recommend this;
20 boxes of tile-every 2 boxes bundled together weighed 115.5 lbs. = 1155 lbs.
5 50lb bags of thinset= 250lbs.
total=1405 lbs.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

looks like you were 405# overloaded.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I suspect the overload is more than that, that was just the load in the bed. The true weight would have to take into account the drivers weight as well as how much gas was in the tank, any add ons to the truck and any gear stored in the vehicle as well.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

I'm not sure how much weight this is... but as you can see, the truck looks like its ready to launch into outer space. This is before the BSW kit and all the wood was hauled offroad, uphill, over stumps and roots from the river bottoms to my woodshed.... maybe a mile or so? ... stationary weight like you're talkin about should be fine with the addition of the BSW springs in the rear. Sounds like a sweet idea to me!
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

These in no way are a substitute for the BSW setup but, I have had good luck with them and they help a lot without noticeable loss of flexing ability, Helwig Hel-550 helper springs
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

AZS10Crew wrote:
BADs Crew wrote:
I love that video. Our diesel tech at the dealership showed me that the other day. I especially enjoy how the pavement starts to smoke early on in the video. :evil:
The ticking noise sounds like the million dollor man. LOL
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Success!!! :lol:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

hahahaha, TIS THE SEASON FOR TAILGATIN!!!
[size=75]2003 Black CC