Finished a 2" Body Lift made by BDS Suspension Co.

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Finished a 2" Body Lift made by BDS Suspension Co.

Post by hubof »

OK, so my initiation for this site starts today.
I have a 2002 Sonoma ZR5 - pretty much stock besides appearance.

I got my BDS Suspension 2" Lift Kit in the mail yesterday. I want to start it today, but it is already noon and I have some questions I would like answered first.

Need some advice on the following:
1) I don't have a jack - what should I buy
2) I have a gravel drive way, should I do it in a parking lot or something
3) The BDS Site says, "Rear bumper brackets are for appearance only. The rear bumper cannot be used for towing after installation."
Can I still tow my boat after this?
4) It also says, "Vehicles with Vortec V6 may require modification to the air intake." I have a K&N Cold Air installed, so I should be fine right?
5) I don't have the best help, only one friend in town and my wife has no clue about anything on wheels
6) I bought Bilstein shocks as well, should they go on before or after?
7) It is supposed to rain tonight and tommorrow! Don't have a garage!

Please respond as soon as possible!!!! Thanks!

Picture of my truck before:
Last edited by hubof on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Have you started the lift already??????? If, not then stop and go no further!!!!!!!!!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

haven't started yet, just waiting for feedback
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

PM me your number or you can call me. Will send you a PM with my number!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

i pmed you my number
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

False alarm! He's doing the 2"BL and seems to have it all well thought out!Image
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

Here is a pic of the kit:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Starting my BDS Suspension 2" Lift Kit Installation

Post by F9K9 »

hubof wrote:......Need some advice on the following:
1) I don't have a jack - what should I buy
The best floor jack that you can afford for now. It should last a lifetime. Borrow or buy a bottle jack for the cab and bed lifting. Quality shouldn't be as big an issue here than it is with a floor jack.
hubof wrote:2) I have a gravel drive way, should I do it in a parking lot or something
Just get it as level as you can and use a cheap tarp when possible. Gravel loves swallowing up one of a kind parts.

hubof wrote:3) The BDS Site says, "Rear bumper brackets are for appearance only. The rear bumper cannot be used for towing after installation.".........Can I still tow my boat after this?
Yes, you told me you had a frame mounted hitch. Their instructions apply to towing with the actual bumper mounted ball.

hubof wrote:4) It also says, "Vehicles with Vortec V6 may require modification to the air intake." I have a K&N Cold Air installed, so I should be fine right?
You will be fine temporarily but, this will need to be addressed after you get through your current mod.

hubof wrote:6) I bought Bilstein shocks as well, should they go on before or after?
You seem to want the BL on first. The shocks can go on before or after. It's up to you.
hubof wrote:7) It is supposed to rain tonight and tommorrow! Don't have a garage!
That's your call, Bro. I feel your pain though :lol:

You'll need blocks of wood, PB Blaster or Sea Foam Deep Creep, safety glasses, four EDIT.....JACK STANDS (my BAD!) and a sense of humor :wink:
Last edited by F9K9 on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

With an '02 you might be able to just loosen the fuel filler connections and skip the hoses on yours. You will probably have a metal fuel tank and less prone to breakage.

Like I told you on the phone, "you are in uncharted waters" here but, do a search at ZR2 USA.com. I know that they have members who have done the BDS BL. As far as the tow hook spacers that BDS provides, I would look for an alternative unless it is an emergency situation to use them as a recovery point. All of that can be ironed out once you are up and running again :wink:
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Starting my BDS Suspension 2" Lift Kit Installation

Post by hubof »

You'll need blocks of wood, PB Blaster or Sea Foam Deep Creep, safety glasses, four floor jackes and a sense of humor
F9K9 thanks for all of your help. Another question, Can I use just one floor jack with four jack stands and one bottle jack. That was my original plan. You say to get four floor jackes (thats spendy).
I will check out that site!
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I just used one floor jack with 2x4's. I'm pretty sure the BDS bodylift is just like the PA bodylift with the exception that it includes the tow hook spacers. I actually bought the tow hook spacers from BDS after doing the PA body lift. Some say it's not the strongest but if anything it looks way better with the tow hooks in their original space.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I meant four jack stands if, I said four floor jacks. I will try to see where I said that but if I did, it is my bad.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check to make sure all the parts are there before you start. Grab a friend who can read and have them keep you lined out with the instructions. Be careful and do not lift too high. Tearing the wires from the PCM has been done and it had to be taken by roll back to the dealer for a fix.

Sounds like you are getting good advice. We are all here if there is a stumble.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

i started at about 4pm, the weather turned out to be descent (no rain, but windy) and am stuck about a quarter of the way.
the pictures in the instruction look like an s10, but i have a sonoma.

I am not sure of this one:
It says to "remove the bolt/clip mounting the oil cooler lines to the passenger's side of the engine oil pan. Remove the lines from the pan."

Now there are only one set of lines attached to the passenger side of the oil pan, but the bolt is almost impossible to get to. It also looks quit different than the pic given in the instructions. Any help???

hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

he he, after reviewing my own post it seems to look like that is the right bolt! I'll go take it off and proceed. I just needed a break I guess! Brain is already fried......
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That nut is a bear that is on the passenger side of the tranny. I had a small craftsman professional series ratcheting wrench that helped. Hang tough bro!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Awesome idea to get the hole rig on the tarp.Image
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

Didn't get to do a whole lot today. It rained most of the morning and afternoon. Did get past the lift section and now I am piecing everything back together. Should be able to get r dun after work tomorrow.
Had a few issues today, but nothing big. However the next step looks like trouble.
I have to add an extension to the fuel filler line and there is hardly any space at all. My hand barely fits in the space to get to the line. I have attached the instructions.... Any advice....
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm sorry but, I don't have anything to offer other than a cold beer or refreshment of you choice when you get East!
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

wheeeeh. i was reading a few post going...oh man, what is about to happen.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

This post is not nearly as exciting as putting this kit on!!! The damn fuel filler extension hose they provided is the same size as the old one, so I can't fit it over the old one. Have to get a new hose and then I will be about 95% done. This is probably the longest lift kit installation in this sites history!!!!!
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I'm sure it don't really matter how long it takes as long as your doing it right, finish it, and post some pics when your done.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

I am so close to being done, I want to leave work and finish it!!! All I need to do is put on the front bumper, headlights and test drive it. Hopefully I will get it all done tonight. I'll give it a good wash on Thursday and upload the pics. Then I can start shopping for tires and everything else on my wish list. :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Pics, Pics, Pics!!!!
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

Sorry for not posting pictures sooner, since I got it done Wednesday I have been trying to catch up in life (school, work, play).... :roll:

The truck has been running fine :D, feels great riding higher, no problems as of yet. Will check everything out after the first 100 miles.

I am looking at new tires and lights for my safari bar. I also need to install my Bilstein shocks. Don't blast me on the hanging tow wires or the dirty exhaust pipes. I'll get to it.

As requested here are the pics:

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

EXCELLENT!!
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

Thanks!!!
[size=75] 02' Sonoma Crew Cab ZR5 - 2" BDS Body Lift - Bilstein Shocks - 31x10.5" Wildcountry XTX Sport - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights (soon) - Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust - Kenwood MP3/CD Player - 8" Bazooka Sub w/ builtin amp - custom grill insert - blue instrument panel - K&N Cold Air Intake[/size] -
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HenryJ wrote:Grab a friend who can read...
You must have some interesting friends.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Grab a friend who can read...
You must have some interesting friends.
:lol: I do! I would say it was a jab at Idahoans, but I am only a stones throw from there and may resemble that remark ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ExcellentImage

Time to also hit Lowes or a similar home store to buy a few feet of rubber/vinyl "stuff" that they use for the wall to tiled floor transition to use as gap guards versus the $80 ones offered by PA. Keep an eye one the FIPK until you have time to address that. Nothing is urgent now and other mods can be done at your leisure :wink:
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

hubof: If that's a westin bar - I trashed mine by rearending someone - but I had modified my brackets to raise the bar a little after the BL - I still have the brackets and have decided not to get another safari bar. You can have em if you would like - here's what mine looked like on my truck -

I did have to weld tab extensions onto mine to fit my pro-comp 100watt lights, but your mileage might vary depending on your lights. I also think that part of that was due to me cutting about 3/4 inch off of the westin where it bolted to the brackets to get it to suck up closer to the bumper.

[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Time to raise those step bars too. Lots of drilling but worth it. Someone said it perfectly on here that the step bars without being raised visually grounds the truck. Once their higher up it looks so much better. How to raise the step bars is on this site. You have to cut one bracket and drill new holes in the others.
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

yeah, if i lift the step bars it will also hide the frame more. I was actually hoping that the lift kit provided new brackets, but that was wishful thinking.... I'll start looking for the post.

Thanks adrenalnjunky for your help too!!!!
[size=75] 02' Sonoma Crew Cab ZR5 - 2" BDS Body Lift - Bilstein Shocks - 31x10.5" Wildcountry XTX Sport - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights (soon) - Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust - Kenwood MP3/CD Player - 8" Bazooka Sub w/ builtin amp - custom grill insert - blue instrument panel - K&N Cold Air Intake[/size] -
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Do a search by HenryJ on his non ZR5 nerf lift. He has Westins IIRC. It'll helpImage
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Man it took me forever but I found the thread about how to raise the step bars with pictures.

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4100
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Hey, there are detailed pictures on how to raise the stock step bars in my album. Here is my old post from long ago!
BobbleSmitty wrote:Well, I'm all done!! Instead of posting all 20 or so pictures here, just check out my album or go to the picture section, they're the first ones on there. Here's a link to my album, but they're not in any particular order??

Raised Step Bars and Raised Safari Bar Pictures
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Raising the stock bars isn't really that hard. The passenger side is a bit easier seeing that the e-brake cable doesn't go down that side. The easiest way for the passenger side is to remove the bar and brackets, drill new holes exactly 2 inches below the old ones. Then grind off the bottom bolts coming from the frame so you dont have to look at them. Then re-attach the passenger side bar. As for the driver side, before you remove it, take a tape measure and hold it to the e-brake cable and make a mark directly below the cable on all of the brackets. If I remember correctly, you may only need to drill out 3 of them, not all 4. then remove the bar and brackets, drill new holes two inches below the old ones, drill out the holes for the ebrake cable, then grind off the bottom bolts coming from the frame. Un-do the ebrake cable, attach the brackets and bar, then feed the ebrake cable back through the holes! Then start painting that frame black! It isn't a bad idea to paint the brackets while you have them off. Good luck with the project. Just make sure you have a very large drill bit and a nice drill press. Otherwise, it will take you a long time to drill out the holes! Take some pictures of the progress and keep us updated.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Oh yea! You may need to cut off a corner of the front bracket on the driver side if I remember correctly to get it to fit. Don't worry about not having all 3 bolts on the brackets after re-attaching them. It is plenty strong still. I use them everytime I wash my roof. I am 185 pounds. Doesn't even flex.
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

You guys are awesome and you have the best timing.... I plan on starting this mod this weekend and I am relieved that you are supplying me with all of this info!!!!

You documented it really well and I will try to do the same! Your truck looks awesome, I can't wait for mine to look as good!!

Thanks again and I will keep everyone posted on the details!!
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

I'm had one hell of a time drilling through the steel plates to modify the tow hitch. I have been using cutting and tapping oil with a 1/2 inch cobalt drill bit for hard metals. The damn holes take 25 minutes each. If I want to do my step bars, I hope that I can do it with less effort.... Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of the tow hitch lift:

tow hitch lift image
Last edited by hubof on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Nerfs will be easier but, the key is to go slow with the drill and be generous with the oil. Smaller pilot holes and sharp bits are always a help. I have just been debating doing some drilling myself for a CB radio antenna mount on a 1/4" thick after market bumper but, I think I'll drink a cold brew and think some more about it.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote:I think I'll drink a cold brew and think some more about it.
Heck, that's what I say about half the mods you guys have already done :lol: , and the one's that I still have sitting in a box on my kitchen table.... :lol: (Cap & rotor, plugs, wires, re-install fender flare, straighten bent rims, etc) :lol: Maybe I should layoff the cold ones a bit.... :cheers: Nay...Here's to ya. :hehe:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:.........Maybe I should layoff the cold ones a bit.... :cheers: Nay...Here's to ya. :hehe:
Actually, he made me feel guilty and skipped the cold one and went ahead and did it. I'll have one now :wink: I don't know if, I lucked upon an unused drill bit or one that I resharpened with a mid range DRILL DOCTOR but, I felt silly after I did it. It took like 10 minutes total time. That hitch modification was a PITA and the nerf raising a little easier.

Not the best place for a CB antenna but, the roof is ruled out due to the local vegetation, the sides are ruled out due to the tightness of the trails and the rear is ruled out due to the fiberglass hatch and it opening up.

EDIT.....if you have a choice of a rechargeable type drill and a regular 110 V drill, don't even consider the rechargeable one IMO.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Use a drill press! It's alot easier than using a drill! I finished all of the holes in less than 20 minutes
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

wishing i had a drill press.......
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote:
WVHogRider wrote:.........Maybe I should layoff the cold ones a bit.... :cheers: Nay...Here's to ya. :hehe:
Actually, he made me feel guilty and skipped the cold one and went ahead and did it. I'll have one now :wink:
Didn't mean to make you feel guilty... :wink: ...I was J/K...However, now I got another issue that comes before I get those Mods done....While weedeating the yard.. :oops: .a rock shot out and shattered my front glass in the screen door....And no I wasn't gunning the throttle on it like most Suburbanites....So now it's to modding the house again... :roll:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

The nerf bars are easier than the hitch. It took me awhile to figure out how to seperate the brake cable and after I figured it out I was like duh!! It's like a bicycle brake cable. Once you loosen it up with the adjustment nut which is below the rear door, you push the end of the brake cable towards the center to remove it. You will be so much happier with the way the truck looks after raising the bars. Just follow the pictures. You gotta go for it!
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

Almost done, slow drilling in the hot heat. My drill has almost had it.... Will have to upgrade the drill soon.

Question:
I bought Bilsteins and I am debating on installing them myself or paying $75 an hour for someone that can do it in 2 hours.... Thats a lot of money, but my options are limited. Time is key. Is it a hard install????
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

hubof wrote:Question:
I bought Bilsteins and I am debating on installing them myself or paying $75 an hour for someone that can do it in 2 hours.... Thats a lot of money, but my options are limited. Time is key. Is it a hard install????
If You Just Did A Body Lift The Shocks Will Be A Piece Of Cake.... 30 Minutes For The Rears / Maybe An Hour To Do The Fronts?
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Just support your rig at the frame with the tires barely touching the ground. Otherwise you will never compress the Bilstiens to install them. Use the standard Jeep wrenching trick and presoak the bolts and nuts for a couple days before you do it with PB Blaster or Seafoam Deep Creep. You can easily beat the 2 hours they want. :)
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

2 hours for shocks? :shock: :?:
It took me a whole 40 minutes to put Bilsteins on my 88 S10, and about 1 hour to put Rancho RSX's on my 01 S10 CC. :nana:

Long zip ties, small gauge wire, or even the plastic loops that they sometimes come with will compress them to make the installation easier. :wink:

Steve
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

To make the front install easier, install the shocks from underneath and not from the top. Jack up the front of the truck. The key is to remove the nut holding the brake line on the upper control arm. I wish I had a photo. It blocks the shock if you try and slide it from underneath. If you can install the body lift then installing shocks is a breeze. The rears are even easier.
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

I finished the step bars and installed the bilsteins yesterday!!!! Now the last thing left to lift is my safari bar! That will be next weeks project! I will post pics as soon as I take some.

Also, I documented the shock installation so I can help the next person who wants to do it. Although it was pretty easy. I can't believe they wanted 75$ for 2 hours of work that I completed in less than 1 hour.

What a difference they make, best mod so far, the OEM shocks were crap!!!! I could push them down with my pinky and they wouldn't rebound at all!
Now when I sit in my truck it doesn't rock back and forth like it used to. I drove it on a dirt road and it handles and feels much better!!!
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

AWESOME JOB :D . All the mods you do yourself really make you appreciate your truck even more too.
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

ace wrote:AWESOME JOB :D . All the mods you do yourself really make you appreciate your truck even more too.
... that along with the money you sink into it...
nice job on the lift! i like where you're headed
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

Finally purchased some tires. Had to get some before the snow started to fall here in Idaho.
I'll get some close up pics soon.
Here are some pics:

link
link
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Looks Sweet :thumb:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:Looks Sweet :thumb:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:
BADs Crew wrote:Looks Sweet :thumb:
+2 :thumb:

Steve
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Lookin' good!! Gotta get that safari bar raised up too! Good job on raising the steps!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice truck and the snow shots are great! If you travel through Ontario,OR , I have a set of raised brackets for your front bar. You can have them if you want them. :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i am also thinking about ording the same body lift...but i have a few questions....i have a Westin 36-1865 Brush Guard on the front....would i be able to lift this with the body? im not going to do it myself i am going to have a professional do it and also can the step bars be rased with it?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Both are attached to the frame. If you have ZR5 step bars you will need to get friendly with a drill and drill new holes in the brackets, modify the the front driver's side bracket and reroute the e brake cable. I do not know exactly how the Westin mounts but, a 2" solid spacer should work to raise it to match the body.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i have the winston step bars....can they be raised with the body?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

HenryJ wrote:Nice truck and the snow shots are great! If you travel through Ontario,OR , I have a set of raised brackets for your front bar. You can have them if you want them. :mg:
Just moved to Boise, will have to hook up with you for those brackets. I still need to do a fix for my lift kit. I still need to extend the overflow hose to my gas tank. Its to short and overflows everytime I top off my tank. I also think it lets my gas evaporate since I have been getting less MPG. Just need to find some time.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

hubof wrote:
HenryJ wrote:If you travel through Ontario,OR , I have a set of raised brackets for your front bar. You can have them if you want them.
Just moved to Boise, will have to hook up with you for those brackets.
Drop me a PM and I can give you my address, as well as a cell number.
I do get over that way periodically and could even drop them off somewhere, perhaps.
You can even have the modded bar if you want it. It is set up to clear the receiver and protect the smaller winch I was using at the time.

- ThunderII KE7CSK