KONI Shocks

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

In my searching for the right supension mods I came across KONI shocks. Has anyone used these rather expensive shocks on their CC. I really like the idea of adjustable dampening. What are your veiws,experiances on this type of shock?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Adjustable dampening is handy for a car that needs adjustment for differing track conditions.
In a truck it might be nice to get it where you want it. Most do that and there it stays. I guess I am saying that they play with it for a few days and then you might as well not have it since they no longer get adjusted.
Why not pay less and not have the adjustable to pay for?

I have not used KONI, nor do I know anyone who has. If they are used on circle track cars I may have played with them a long time ago when I pitted for a Midget crew. Adjustments happened every day there. Circle track or road courses are where I see them being an advantage.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I have KONI adjustables on my '88 Fiero which I lowered about an inch and a half. I had to set the shocks as stiff as they would go and they are very, very stiff but improved the cars cornering mannerisms significantly. That is my only experience with KONI shocks...never had them on a truck. I was leaning more toward Bilsteins or Ranchos for the CC.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If you want adjustable shocks get the Rancho RS9000 or RS9000XL shocks for off road 4x4 vehicles. :)

Personally I would just get some Bilsteins since they offer a very good on and off road ride. :wink:

The Koni's are designed for dialing in dampening force on track cars, but they would probably work ok for a street driven CC if you really want them.

Steve