Tires and wheels

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

rosie

Tires and wheels

Post by rosie »

Ok heres the question I have a 2001 s10 crew cab with some minor mods but am wanting a 2 inch body lift to get some bigger more aggressive tires on there. I heard with a 2 inch lift the bigest tire size you can get with out rubbing is a 31 is that true? If that is true then can I still use my stock rims on a size 31 tire? Thanks for the help.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Welcome rosie! :wave:

With a 2" body lift, 1" torsion bar crank, rear lift shackles or springs you can run up to a 33" tire if the wheel spacing is right and you only run a 9.5" wide 33.

The 31" tire with the same combo is more popular because you can run a 10.5" wide 31 with less rubbing but you also give up a little ground clearance with a 31 vs. a 33.

Both tires can be used on the stock rims. :wink:

Look at a lot of the members trucks and you should get a pretty good idea of what most people are running.

I ran 31" MT/R's on my CC and currently run the same tire on my ZR2 and really like how they perform off road. :D

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:.........With a 2" body lift, 1" torsion bar crank, rear lift shackles or springs you can run up to a 33" tire if the wheel spacing is right and you only run a 9.5" wide 33..........
Steve, I think you left out the part about major trimming of sheet metal for 33s. I'd be happy with 31s w/o all the trimming.

In any event, welcome to the forum :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:I think you left out the part about major trimming of sheet metal for 33s.
:lol: I thought I forgot something.

Steve
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

why only a 9.5 with 33", too much rubbing? and what sheet metal do u have to cut, the fenders?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rebel-Chevy wrote:why only a 9.5 with 33", too much rubbing? and what sheet metal do u have to cut, the fenders?
Yes. And Yes. Here are the cuts made: Skidz install

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

with 33's is that necessary if you get wheel spacers?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Even with wheel spacers. You need them to clear the frame , but then you rub the body. The farther out you go the worse that gets. Hence the narrow tire.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

hmm yeah wasn't thinking about the frame. how much does the flares run? i just hate how s10's are so narrow
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Flares are no longer in production. The cuts can be made and then use Liner to cover, or do the bodywork and welding to finish them.

- ThunderII KE7CSK