Wheel Spacers?????

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wheel Spacers?????

Post by williamcstonejr »

Wheel Spacers????? I used to be an automotive mechanic until I got sick off being greasy all the time. Got fed up and went into another line of work but I have to say that wheel spacers are not a very safe way to go for the look you want. I know it is the cheap way to go but they are notorious for coming loose even when they are torque properly and most that you do find do not have hardened studs and they do tend to snap a stud or two before anyone notices they have a problem. A new set of rims with the offset you want is the way to go in my opinion. I have four kids and I would never put them in a car with wheel spacers. The only time I was ever willing to put spacers on a customers small truck was by modifying them in my shop by removing the old studs from the vehicle and installing a new set of 1 ton dually studs from the dealership and machining new holes in the spacers for a snug fit and bolting the wheels directly to the new studs as if from the factory. I did have to cut the ends off of the studs to shorten them but that was no big deal. If someone has come out with a new and improved spacer design let me know because I have only had my truck for a month and by the way it looks to me that the rear wheels set in about an inch compared to the front and it bugs me every time I look at it. If someone does not agree, please tell me why. Things may have changed in the last ten years since I stopped turning wrenches for a living.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do some reading. There are plenty of good topics here on Wheel adapters.
Wheel spacers did get a bad name and I do not think that they are a good way to go. Wheel adapters are a little different matter.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Do some reading? Sometimes messages can come across as harsh when not intended that way, so I am just asking so I understand the intent behind the message. Was this a rude suggestion or am I just reading it wrong? [/quote]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Brule was not being rude. He was simply suggesting that there are many in depth discussions on the topic, some that even go into the material properties of the alloys used. It's a pretty commonly discussed topic, and a lot of us feel very comfortable using wheel adapters. I, for one, have a set of 1.25" adapters (spacers) on my front wheels, and a set of 2" adapters on my rear wheels.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not meant to be rude, just a suggestion to search the topic and read up on the subject.

New members seem to come in and post subjects that have been covered pretty thoroughly with a new post.
I would rather see an old topic brought back to life with new questions or concerns. That way it all stays together and we don't have , yet another thread on the same subject.

Wheel adapters are much different than the old wheel spacers of a dozen years ago. A great way to retain the stock wheels and widen the stance of a vehicle. I run 1.25" front and 3" rear.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

This is only the second web site I have ever been a member of and I have to admit that I am a little ignorant to the ways of these message boards. So from what I am getting from the last message is I should have responded in the top section listed as

Sticky: Ordering wheel spacers / adapters ( comparison and review )

This is where I should have posted my opinion instead of started something new on the page correct? I will poke around in Forum information and read up more before cluttering up the pages sorry.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is fine. Sorry if I came off harsh. Actually there is a good thread on wheel spacers other than the review and recommendations thread.

Try a search for "wheel spacers bad". Select all terms.
That brings up 128 threads :shock:

Scan the list and you find several good discussions where your query fits nicely. Then again the answers are there too.

Browse through and see if you find what you need to rest assured that they are indeed safe to use.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

williamcstonejr wrote:......................I will poke around in Forum information and read up more before cluttering up the pages sorry.
You're doing fine. This was my first forum and it and the members have taught me a lot. I am still learning techniques in performing searches and have a long way to go.

This is the best forum that I know of that is focused on S-10s and 4 wheeling. Heck, if, you want to see rude comments, just ask a similar question in a heep (Jeep) forum :wink: or Pirate4X4 and you will want to crawl under a rock :lol: I think I have been on Pirate 4 yrs and maybe have four posts there. Do a decent search and if, a decent answer doesn't arise then start a new thread or PM one of us.

Just don't let it get to you. Shake it off and drive on 8)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

New members seem to come in and post subjects that have been covered pretty thoroughly with a new post.
I would rather see an old topic brought back to life with new questions or concerns. That way it all stays together and we don't have , yet another thread on the same subject.
This sounds like pretty dog gone good advice! :) I have already been doing a bunch of searches and reading way too much on things...Danger, Danger...brain starting to overload :lol:

I've already scanned through many past threads that I will eventually respond to when I have some extra time. Some haven't had replies in several years. Some of the one's I read and thought about responding to are as old as my cc.