Boise SpringWorks kit, or something else?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Boise SpringWorks kit, or something else?

Post by ace »

Split topic-HJ

I very close to buying this kit but I still have a few questions. I called my local spring shop and they are saying that three leaves is too much and will be too stiff. They said one would do exactly what I'm looking for. They want $325 for a one leaf kit installed. I would install it myself but I still thought that was high. I have a new concern now with the ride quality. My wife has a permanent injury to her neck and cannot bounce around that much. The air shocks I have have too go. I'm starting with bilsteins on the rear and then I was going to order this kit. I noticed the ONE leaf kits say 1 to 2 inch lift. Will this kit had like 2 to 3" lift? I'm so concerned over the ride quality of adding this kit with my wife and all, but my camper flattens the suspension when it's connected without the air shocks cranked up. I know someone mentioned the kit is like the ride of a 3/4 ton truck but I'm not really sure what that is like. I do feel like this kit is my last chance at keeping my truck too. I really like it but if I can't get the suspension right then I have to look at something else.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

One hard , heavily arched leaf is not the way to go. If you want to do that you can buy that set for about $30 through Summit.

If soft is what you want, stay stock. Any additional springs will have it ride firmer.

Read this thread throughly. The BSW kit rides firmer, but not rough. Find another spring guy. Yours has some worrisome concepts. It does not sound like he knows his business. He should have suggested re-arching your springs to retain the stock ride and a little increase in height. That would probably cost more than the BSW kit and add no increase in load capacity without sagging.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

ace, I think the Roadmaster Suspension would suit your needs very well. :wink:

The Boise spring pack will make your ride rougher than stock which is good for heavy loads and towing, but it sounds like you need a soft suspension that will work only when needed. :wink:

I know at least one member (?) has this kit and was very happy with the performance.

I almost went this route, but I never do any towing or have any heavy loads so I went with shackles for increased articulation off road. :D

Steve
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

JUST DO IT. Its so worth it, and Ive towed campers, trailers, cars, bobcats on trailers, tractors. It will make the suspension comfortably firm. Dont waste your money on anything and just buy the Boise kit. It bolts in for 200 bucks out the door, and there are three pages of happy people on here!!! DO IT!!! Oh and I also put a quad in the back, and it doesnt even phase the suspension, sits nice and level.
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:ace, I think the Roadmaster Suspension would suit your needs very well.
I think he is looking for ride height increase, not load capacity? I could be wrong.

How does the Roadmaster kit increase ride height without increasing the firmness?
I understand it would help with sag when loaded, but if you are looking for 1.5"-2", I don't think that would be my choice.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:ace, I think the Roadmaster Suspension would suit your needs very well.
I think he is looking for ride height increase, not load capacity? I could be wrong.
I thought he was looking for something that would help him with towing a camper (increased load capacity) while at the same time retaining the factory "soft" suspension to help with his wifes neck injury.

The Boise kit will definitely make the ride firmer and more bouncy than stock so I though the Roadmaster Suspension option was better for his concerns, but if he is definitely looking for more ride height then the Roadmaster Suspension would not be the best choice. :?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is the beauty of adding multiple shorter leaves. The ride really doesn't get "bouncy" like you describe. I would say firmer, but not rough. The multiple leaves allow the pack to work properly and flex as they should. The load is spread over a large area , not concentrated in two places.
It is much like re-arching the spring pack. As load is applied the added springs help to support the rest of the pack. The stock system uses a heavy overload, these take the place of that , only they start working sooner.
The whole idea is to get the ride height right. No more saggy rear. The extra capacity for handling a load is a nice bonus.

IMO, the stock rear springs are pretty mushy. Adding leaves gets them closer to the ZR2 rear springs arch and ride characteristics. Some might argue that the ZR2 and the Z85 suspensions are not much different. Side by side the ZR2 springs , at least on the trucks, obviously have more arch.

Personally I think $200 spent on improving the stock spring pack is a better investment. I really don't see the Roadmaster kit being worth another $100.

Keep in mind that I am biased since I have used helper spring kits similar to it and do not like their performance on a whole.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I've got the Roadmaster Suspension kit installed in mine with warrior shackles and the rear sway bar. It gets a little extra height without the added stiffness of the extra leaf in the spring pack. I like my ride stiff so the Rancho RXS's are good for me but I wouldn't recommend them for a soft ride. I would go with just the Roadmaster system with a good premium gas shock. I got my kit from JC Whitney for $279 less a 20% coupon so only about $30 more than the BSW kit plus it is adjustable to a degree so it can be dialed in and tweaked if needed.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:I've got the Roadmaster Suspension kit installed in mine with warrior shackles and the rear sway bar.........
Not everyone needs overkill because they break wheel studs with 1/4" ratchets, weigh over 300 ibs and need to duck when entering doorways. You needed yours to keep the driver side frame rail off of the pavement :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I should of explained that I need the kit to tow a camper. Of course I like added height for the look but it's second if I knew something would really improve the ride when towing. I would say the tongue weight on my pop-up is on the heavier side.
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The BSW kit will raise 1.5"-2"

The one guy that said it rode harshly had an extra cab, and said it mellowed after a while.

The kit was arched and built for the weight of a crew cab. We have a better balance than the longer bed trucks. More weight on the rear suspension.

Check out all your options and decide on what will work for you.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

f9k9 wrote:
04crewvt wrote:I've got the Roadmaster Suspension kit installed in mine with warrior shackles and the rear sway bar.........
Not everyone needs overkill because they break wheel studs with 1/4" ratchets, weigh over 300 ibs and need to duck when entering doorways. You needed yours to keep the driver side frame rail off of the pavement :wink:
Are you pickin on little ole me ? Of course, that's probably a contributing factor to my front bearings going bad too. I was sort of wondering if I could just grab hold and yank them off without a puller :lol:
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Another possible option Timbren Load Boosters They look like they would really only kick in when the springs are loaded and being rubber they would flex and adsorb road impact. I have looked at these as a possibility for my front suspension.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Timbren Load boosters are what they use when you mount a snow plow on the front.
Don't plan on nice ride characteristics from riding around on bump stops even if they are designed to flex a little.
Also plan on there lifespan being limited.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Rear set available for our trucks, they sit apx. 1 inch above the spring pack when truck is unloaded and start to work when load is supplied to spring pack. They are warrantied for the life of the vehicle they are installed on. The front ones do work constantly as you pointed out .
teresav
Regular
Regular

Post by teresav »

I installed a set of superspring leaf helper springs. The ride is not any stiffer, lifted the back end, helped reduce sway, and doesn't allow sag when towing a load. I really like them......they come with a $200-300 price tag but can easily be installed yourself.
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

ace wrote:I should of explained that I need the kit to tow a camper. Of course I like added height for the look but it's second if I knew something would really improve the ride when towing. I would say the tongue weight on my pop-up is on the heavier side.

Ace,
Heres my truck with BSW's on it and that bobcat weighs right at 3 tons, notice im over the front of the front axle. Tongue weights probably in the 600 pound area...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/ ... 071503.jpg

But I drive my Crew 200 miles home all the time, and I think it rides nice and firm but bouncy does not come to mind.
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Thanks for all the replies. I've researched the roadmaster suspension a little and it sounds like it is a good system for handling etc with a load but I have a feeling that the rear will still sag some with this kit and heavier tongue weight. If it could handle some tongue weight then this kit might be nice. I'm still undecided with what kit to try.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

With the RoadMaster in mine I can stand on the rear bumper and get less than 1.5" of travel. I carry an 80lb tool box right at the tailgate and with me standing on the bumper you are looking at close to 450lbs since our trucks are only designed for a 500lb tongue weight I think you would be all right.