Best all around shocks

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Best all around shocks

Post by snowsurfer »

Don't do any off roading, just a daily driver to/from work about 20 freeway miles what's the best replacement shock.
03 Crew
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Bilsteins seem to be #1 ratings with the Rancho RSX's coming in close behind with most of the members who have voiced an opinion on the subject.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

rancho 5000's for me
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I had a Fantastic day yesterday !!! Got screw type straps on both CV boots with new grease , got 90% zerts on two needed locations and greased the whole front end. Then got the parking brake tuned-up to actualy hold on a hill. After all that success I installed my brand new Heavy Duty Bilstein shocks, right side up,right side downand all I can say is WOW !!!! :thumb: 8) :clap: :woohoo:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That switch to Bilstein's is a huge difference. I know the "wow" you are feeling right now. You will be very happy for a long time.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

i cant wait to drive my truck :D no time soon though :( . I'm driving from seattle,wa over to jacksonville, nc when i come back though, should be a fun road trip.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:That switch to Bilstein's is a huge difference. I know the "wow" you are feeling right now...............................
My first or second mod and I still remember HenryJ's response to my PM or thread posting. "Feels like you are on rails when cornering" (or a reasonable facsimile there of) :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is the best description I could come up with. The difference over squishy stock was amazing.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

This mod of getting the right shocks is so radicaly good that I am realy searching to decide what is next. I don't mind spending premium dollars when the result is this completely new and improved.I was thinking rear ZQ8 stabilizer bar,but I'm not sure I need it now. this truck rides and handles almost as positive as my Dads Corvete. I don't really need a bunch of extra power unless I decide to go racing,and this is not a race friendly vehicle. I'm not going to lower it. Maybe I will go on with the Mystery Lift, but I think I read that BFG is stopping production of 33/9.5/15 AT KO's. Is this true, anyone know? If not this complete mod , what is my next step? :?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Polyurethane front swaybar bushings and if you offroad, quick disconnects.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Polyurethane front swaybar bushings............
Arguably as impressive as the shocks for ride improvement. Looking at the 2" body lift in hindsight, I wish I had combined it with polyurethane body and bed mount replacements.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Polyurethane front swaybar bushings............
Arguably as impressive as the shocks for ride improvement. Looking at the 2" body lift in hindsight, I wish I had combined it with polyurethane body and bed mount replacements.
That will definitely tighten up the frame to body which helps limit body flex while making the suspension do more of the work which are all good things, but it is also important to know that vibrations and road noise will increase because the body is now "one" with the frame so everything (road noise, engine vibration, etc.) is now transmitted to the body. :)

Guess how I know this. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:...........Guess how I know this. :wink:

Steve
The same way you know about Polyurethane engine and tranny mounts. :wink:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:
killian96ss wrote:...........Guess how I know this. :wink:

Steve
The same way you know about Polyurethane engine and tranny mounts. :wink:
:thumb:

As I try to make my car faster and handle better I lose a little of the comfort it had when it was new. :(

It's still a blast to drive though! :woohoo:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:............................It's still a blast to drive though! :woohoo: .........
It's all good and it is all a trade off for either this reason or that reason! Comfort doesn't necessarily coexist with opinions on handling. I knew that when I posted and had hoped that the OP realized it. That's why they made mushy S10 Crew Cabs and Bilstien equipped ZR2s.

An alternative example might compare a '69 Z28 with a '69 Coupe Seville.

Do you think that the old shock testing trial would apply today?

"Bounce the front or rear of you car (by hand) and if, it cycles more than once, you need shocks" :wink:
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

An alternative example might compare a '69 Z28 with a '69 Coupe Seville.
The comparison is Dead ON but the vehicles aren't. they're just plain DOA!

Hate to fry a couple of "old" brain cells :P but the Caddy SEVILLE came out in 1975. It was basically a gussied up NOVA with Caddy badges. Above quote should have been "Coupe DEVILLE" (Rolling Battleship) as in Cruella........(been watching 101 Dalmations too much lately with the kids) :wink: :wink:

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I did the front poly swaybar bushings a while back. I think that was the only reason my CC handled at all. The front shocks had to be the OEM's. They very smoothly slid in and out with o% resistance. The rears had some HI-economy replacements on that only resisted on rebownd. My '02 has 98'000 on it. So I think you can really understand the impression I have of the Bilsteins!! I think I'm going all the way with polygraphite and polyurathane bushings,including the body mounts. I like the idea of limited flex. 8)