I apologize, another Lift Kit Dilemma Question

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

PSUJimm
Regular
Regular

I apologize, another Lift Kit Dilemma Question

Post by PSUJimm »

Before I begin I'm gonna apologize for asking another seemingly endless question about which lift kit to buy. I've read every topic I could find on the forum about it and still can't decide. I was hoping I could pick your brain for a bit and in doing so get some advice that would allow me to sleep at night rather then continuing to stay up till all hours of the night surfing the internet :lol: . I recently opted to pick up an 03 zr5. While my original intention was to get a Cherokee, lift it and run it through anything and everything I ran across a good deal on the s10 and ran with it (this is my 3rd 4.3L and I just can't seem to get away from the torquey little v6.) Anyway the truck is in too good of shape to make it a true off road vehicle so my intention is to do a more "astetic" lift. Basically something to fit some 31"s on with plenty of clearance and enough ground clearance to run it through the mud every now and then with a few buddies (mostly XJs, CJs, Rangers.) I keep hearing how the super lift isn't very off road capable. Does that mean hardcore off roading or is it just not very beneficial at all? I can get a lift for right around 1200 from a guy who bought the lift but then opted for the solid axle swap instead and has had the lift sitting in his garage for the last 3 months so for me it's a pretty good deal. Still with keeping in mind install fees of roughly 500-700 dollars do you think it's better to just do the PA 192 and shackle/torsion crank (all of which i'd do myself) or is this 6" lift much more practical for light off road use? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but it basically boils down to for occasional trail use is it worth doing a 6" lift for say 1800 + tires or am I better doing a portion of the mystery lift for say 500 + tires. Basically any advice would make me very :D Thanks
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sounds like you have done your homework and have some very good questions and you are going to get some very good answers for anyway you go. I'm not a 6" SL fan because I have seen several members turn around and go with a sfa. A few members are happy with the 6" lift and occasionally off road it. I've wheeled my mystery lift with CJs and yotas but, they more into the "mud" thing which I am not into. If, you going to wheel minor rock on narrow trails it works for me but, it's not the best set up. Skids or shields should be a priority no matter which way you turn.

I have an extended warranty and have over a yr to go so, sfa is not an option for me yet. I just threw $2200 into an XJ that was already lifted and wheel it on the rougher stuff but, I would hate to count the hours that I have worked on it or truly add up the money for parts that I have spent. No magic answer, bro. I may have even added to your problem.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If mudd'n is your thing , all you need is big tires. For the price you can get that kit and if you can get it installed for $500, I would go for it.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
PSUJimm
Regular
Regular

Post by PSUJimm »

f9k9 wrote:Sounds like you have done your homework and have some very good questions and you are going to get some very good answers for anyway you go. I'm not a 6" SL fan because I have seen several members turn around and go with a sfa. A few members are happy with the 6" lift and occasionally off road it. I've wheeled my mystery lift with CJs and yotas but, they more into the "mud" thing which I am not into. If, you going to wheel minor rock on narrow trails it works for me but, it's not the best set up. Skids or shields should be a priority no matter which way you turn.

I have an extended warranty and have over a yr to go so, sfa is not an option for me yet. I just threw $2200 into an XJ that was already lifted and wheel it on the rougher stuff but, I would hate to count the hours that I have worked on it or truly add up the money for parts that I have spent. No magic answer, bro. I may have even added to your problem.

You've got the best of both worlds between those two trucks. I was actually on my way to buy a 91 XJ when I came across an awesome deal on the s10. From the looks of it your cherokee is exactly what I had in mind for a build before buying the s10.
PSUJimm
Regular
Regular

Post by PSUJimm »

HenryJ wrote:If mudd'n is your thing , all you need is big tires. For the price you can get that kit and if you can get it installed for $500, I would go for it.
I called around for install prices and it seems the cheapest is gonna be $700. My ultimate question is would the lift be worth say $2500 after tires?

I really need to find cheaper hobbies :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Height is just a matter of Money - How high do YOU want to go? Borrowed from Mad Max and Brule. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Sounds like you got a really good deal on the 6" SL. I think you should go for it. There are some things that you need to be aware of. First of all the shop you take it to and have it done probably has never done this lift before, it's not an easy lift to install, even for so called lift shops. This is one of the toughest lifts out there to install. Make sure the shop you take it to has a very good reputation for doing very good work.

The fact that you basically are looking for aesthetics and not rock climbing or heavy trail riding would make this the perfect lift for you. I haven't done any rock climbing but have done some pretty serious, rocky trail riding to get to some good fishing holes that I like to go to and have burned out a set of ball joints. If you're into mudding I think you should check this link out extending rear and breathing vent or relocating axle vent

I think this would be a good set up for you with 31" tires as you won't have to worry about any kind of tire rubbing issues or trimming fenders.

Here's a pic of my truck with just the 31" tires right after the 6" SL

Here's a picture before the 6"SL.

Good luck with whatever you decide :thumb:
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I was hoping that Steve2003 would jump in on this thread. Between the "Steve"s and Brule you have your answer!

You might wanna talk to your XJ buddies and ask them if, they had it to do over again....what would they do different.

I can't comprehend the following analogy but, I recently had a coworker ask me if, a BB (budget lift) on his XJ was like getting a cheaper tattoo and then wishing he had gotten the better one.

All just food for thought and I apologize for not welcoming you earlier to the forum. Welcome aboard :D
PSUJimm
Regular
Regular

Post by PSUJimm »

Well, thanks everyone for your input. I went ahead and did it. Looks like the next 2-3 weeks will be kinda busy for me. I'm still going to have the kit installed professionally to save myself the headache, but now I have to start saving for and searching for some 31"s to put on. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes
[size=75]03 ZR5...[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Damn! This sight times out quick! :?:
Check into this , It would be a good idea, just do it when the lift is being installed. steering stabilizer It will make a big difference.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:Damn! This sight times out quick! :?:
Check into this , It would be a good idea, just do it when the lift is being installed. steering stabilizer It will make a big difference.
I am leary of Ebay anymore Steve. I think that I got my SL stabilizer for 9 bucks cheaper from SuperLift themselves. We just need to check around and use Barch's tip! Get the part or model number, go to google products and plug it in! Just try it and tell me if, I led you wrong.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

f9k9 wrote:I am leary of Ebay anymore Steve. I think that I got my SL stabilizer for 9 bucks cheaper from SuperLift themselves. We just need to check around and use Barch's tip! Get the part or model number, go to google products and plug it in! Just try it and tell me if, I led you wrong.
Reed,

I am not real familiar with the steering stabilizer that you and HenryJ are using, but the steering stabilizer for the K776 Superlift kit is different and specific to that lift. The only place I know where to get it is Summit, that is where I got mine. I know a couple other guys that got the SL kit and it had the steering stabilizer come with their lift, along with the SL skidplate. I think that was Jeggers and I think he got his kit from Summit.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:Thanks for keeping me on my toes :wink:
Actually, I forgot about the special application for the SL kits. I'm the one wrong here. :wink: