Converting 2 inch body lift to 3 inches

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

cjairbrush
Regular
Regular

Converting 2 inch body lift to 3 inches

Post by cjairbrush »

I just installed the PA 2 inch body lift. Has anyone tried adding to this kit to make it a 3 inch lift? I would expect to need the following:

1. Longer bolts
2. Either 3 inch blocks (or add something to augment the 2 inch blocks). I've seen the blocks for sale separate from a lift kit.
3. 3 inch sleeves and new bolts would need to replace the 2 inch kit spacers for the fan shroud, but that seems doable.
4. The battery cable slicers from Autozone would create battery cable slack. (I've just done this for one of my battery cables.)
5. Fuel filler neck extension from the 2 inch kit would probably work, because most people haven't even spliced the fuel filler hose for a 2 inch lift.
6. Longer brackets for the few ground cables (if needed), or relocate the ground cables.
7. A roll pan could replace the back bumper and resolve the bumper alignment, if you are OK with a roll pan.
7. I do not know if the steering column would be OK.
8. I also would have to thoroughly check brake lines, and other connections.

Has anyone done this, or does anyone have any thoughts on it?

I would hope this mod with a t-bar crank, and shackles would help clear large 31x10 tires without cutting. Thoughts?

I am not sure that I want to try this, but I thought I would document the possibility and get others thoughts while the details of the 2 inch lift installation are fresh in my mind.

Chris
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You will be able to run 31's with the 2" BL, t-bar crank, shackles or spring pack, so I don't see any reason to add 1" to get more clearance.

I ran 31" MT/R's with this set up on my CC and never had any problems off road except for a little rubbing on the inner front frame when turned at full lock.

PA does make 3" lift blocks for earlier S10's if you really want to try, but I wouldn't combine lift blocks. :?

With 3" of lift the angle of the steering shaft would likely be a problem. :?:

I think the increased angle is already borderline with the 2" BL. :?

Steve
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

whats the tallest tires you can run stock?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Rebel-Chevy wrote:whats the tallest tires you can run stock?
I would say 30x9.5. :(

Some rub with the stock 235's. :(

Steve
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

sweet my buddy just got an old international scout it got 30x10.5x15 BFGoodrich All-Terrains, they have some age but still good tread. might just get wheel spacers and talk him into sellin them to me.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Be careful with older BFG ATs. I had some that looked great on my '97 ZR2 and they had some dry rot issues after 3 yrs old.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

I know this is an older thread, but I'm curious. I am assuming, (knowing the risks), that the reason no one seems to offer a 3" BL for anything newer than a '94 S10 is because of steering geometry then? That is why all that is marketed is a 2"? Just askin.

Jim
Oh....um.....yeah.....I'm giving in and going ahead with the BL myself soon.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The steering angle is probably the biggie. The wiring to the PCM and the battery cables are short, the lines for the transmission cooler and the engine oil cooler, the cable for the front axle actuator. Quite a few things that interfere with lifting higher.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Gotcha, thanks!