tire size

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

blackflamed
Crew
Crew

tire size

Post by blackflamed »

i am getting my 6 in super lift i was wounding what size tire is normal and what size i can fit on my stock rim's or if ill have to get new rims for my truck i am not looking to get huge tires just to even out the look of lift on my truck and i dont want any rubbing but you guys are pro so i know i wont have to worry :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

SuperLift did recommend 33s for their lift. I don't recall the width but, it should be mentioned in their installation notes. You can safely run 33/10.50s and maybe 12.50s on stock 7" wide wheels but, you should be able to find that out on the BFG site.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

awesome thax
jpturner928
Crew
Crew

Looking for some help

Post by jpturner928 »

I am wanting to run Discoverer STT - 30X9.50R15LT - OWL -Approved Rim Width 6.5 - 8.5 - Overall Diameter 29.7 on 15x7 - 6mm Ultra wheels. I got the wheels used from another crew-cab owner here in England they were running 235s on them. I know they will stick out from the fenders a little . My question is can we run 30s on a stock truck.
[size=75]BE YOU
Do what you do[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I am running 30x9.5 15's on my stock rims. With no mods I think my truck would have had rubbing issues. I put in shackles in the rear and tweaked the front t-bars 1.5". I have had no rubbing issues on the street unless I hit a dip really hard while turning. As for sticking out they will not stick out from the fenders at all I am running 1 inch spacers in the front and 3 inch in the rear and they just barely reach the fender lip, they do not stick outside of the factory ZR-5 flares. As with all suspension/tire size mods what works with no issues for one may or may not work for you each of our rigs are a little different coming off the assembly line and our driving styles can affect theis as well.
Last edited by 04crewvt on Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, you have less back spacing then you will likely have problems. Barch went from the stock 6" back spacing to 4.5" back spaced wheels and had issues with STOCK tires. The culprit causing the issue will be the rear lower portion of the wheel opening.

This not a good example but, the bottom portion of the fender to the right of the tire is where you will have problems. This wheel opening has been trimmed to the max and those are 33s. With a stock fender, a 1" TB crank and a 2" BL, I had to do minor trimming to stop rubbing with 30/9.50s. It rubbed on turns with an incline, like a driveway, involved .

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jpturner928
Crew
Crew

Post by jpturner928 »

Well I guess I will just have to try it and see what happens or stick the 235s that are on truck now and see what happens with the rims I got.
[size=75]BE YOU
Do what you do[/size]
jpturner928
Crew
Crew

Post by jpturner928 »

Here are the rims I am going to put on after I get them cleaned up and choose my tires
    [size=75]BE YOU
    Do what you do[/size]
    blackflamed
    Crew
    Crew

Post by blackflamed »

nice thax for all the info
    jpturner928
    Crew
    Crew

Post by jpturner928 »

I got the 30`s Cooper STTs tires mounted on the new rims today and put on the crew. I need to trim some of the front valence off and deal with the slight rub on the fenders near the doors I think it is catching the lower Bolt. I bent the bottom corner back and out of the way, might need to bend it back alittle more. I am working on it in the morning and will post picks after I get it all cleaned up.
    [size=75]BE YOU
    Do what you do[/size]
    jpturner928
    Crew
    Crew

Post by jpturner928 »

Here are some pics of the Crew with the Cooper STT's 30/9.5 R15 Image Spent the morning working on getting the rubs taken care of. I changed the two lower bolts holding the inner finder to heavy duty rivets and trimmed the front valence and bent the lower corner of the fender back as much as I thought it needed. I only have a rub when braking and turning at the same time and it is a light rub so I am not to worried right now I am going to keep a eye on and watch the tires
    [size=75]BE YOU
    Do what you do[/size]
    F9K9
    Mod K Elite
    Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looking Good!

jpturner928
    Crew
    Crew

Post by jpturner928 »

Thanks and thanks for posting th pic..
    [size=75]BE YOU
    Do what you do[/size]
    Horsehammerr
    Crew Elite
    Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I've had 255/70/15 Daytona SR's on my '02 ZR5 since I got it seven months ago. They are street tires but, they have always worked OK when 4wheel was neccessary. I am looking for more snow and off-road traction with winter coming. I never have any rub problems with this size tire and am looking at General Grabber AT2's to replace these street queens. Ive read all I can find on tires for allterrain and i'm satisfied there is a lot of personal opinions and brand name issues in the reviews I've read. Does anyone have any first hand experiance with these tires ? I'm thinking 255/70 or 265/70, there is only a 1/4 inch differance in diameter.
    jpturner928
    Crew
    Crew

Post by jpturner928 »

Heres one for you guys. After putting the 30s on the truck I have noticed a pretty good pull to the left that wasn't there before. I know getting a front end alignment is a good idea when putting on new tires but wanted to wait till I get back to the states. That kind of work has to be done off base and I dont want to pay the cost with the exchange rate like it is right now. My qestion is would the bigger tires make it pull that bad? with the other tires you couldnt notice a pull at all.
    [size=75]BE YOU
    Do what you do[/size]
    HenryJ
    Admin K Elite
    Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

First check the air pressure. Do not assume it is good since you just had them mounted. Cooper had a real problem with a porous seam in the case. I had eight bad ones.
    If the air pressure is good and it still pulls, try cross rotating them. The Cooper cases are notorious for being irregular. If the cross rotate doesn't help try moving them to the back.
    Eventually they will wear enough to flatten the profile.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
    "Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
    If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - ThunderII KE7CSK
    killian96ss
    Crew K Elite
    Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You really need to get an alignment done to rule that out as a possible cause for your pulling.

The tires might be bad, but I think your problem is the alignment. :?

Be sure to let us know what you find to be the cause as it might help other members. :wink:

Steve
    jpturner928
    Crew
    Crew

Post by jpturner928 »

I will put it on a lift this weekend and move the tires around and try that first. I ship the truck back to the states in 1.5 months so I am going to wait to do the alignment for two reasons the roads are so bad most people never get alignments over here and I really am trying not to pay double for the work if it can wait till I get it back to the states.
    [size=75]BE YOU
    Do what you do[/size]
    border man
    Crew Elite
    Crew Elite

Post by border man »

If I recall right, the roads over there are way better maintained than ours albeight very narrow. I flew space "a" to Lakenheath or maybe Mildenhall in '01. Way cool place to visit. The town outside base was called Bird in Hand I believe. Spent 4 nights there and had a blast. Gas back then was about 1 pound 50 a liter or so...
    [size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
    jpturner928
    Crew
    Crew

Post by jpturner928 »

The Bird in hand is a hotel in the town of Mildenhall the roads of the big citys like cambridge and London are maintained the best the roads around lakenheath are not maintained that well or around the other smaller towns.
    [size=75]BE YOU
    Do what you do[/size]