Front end noise *solved- ball joint*

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Front end noise *solved- ball joint*

Post by 04crewvt »

Hey guys hoping someone can help me diagnose a noise that is getting worse in the front end of my truck. I get a whine and slight vibrations through the floor and steering wheel. It starts out low and builds up till I get to a cruising speed of 70mph where it stays constant. I checked the bearings two weekends ago and they had no play. There is no difference in the sound when changing from D to 3 and none when shifting into 4HI. The CV boots are all in good shape but I am wondering if the CV joint could be the culprit. I had the passenger side replaced under warranty 20k or so ago when it threw a boot but the drivers side is original 45k on it now.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I had similar noise and thought it was my tires so I had them rotated. The sound was still there so I took it into the shop and was told that the wheel bearings were fine so I wrote it off as tire noise.
After a week or two it bugged me so I put new tires on it but the sound was still there. I took it into the dealer and found that the bearings were bad even though there wasn't a lot of play in them. New Wheel bearings= noise gone.
I'm not saying that this is your problem but just suggesting a closer look.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The alignment shop is the only REAL way to know for sure. No lateral movement in the wheel bearing is permissible. If it has been 20k miles you are due for a check up anyway.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well I took it in today for inspection. It failed Image
I now have an appointment for Tuesday A.M. to have the driver's side lower ball joint replaced, 2 hours labor and lifetime warranty joint for $185.00 not worth me trying to do it in my driveway for that.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]