need help ASAP rear shacke install

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

need help ASAP rear shacke install

Post by bradjh »

so i got my new daystar 1.5" lift shackles and i cannot get the old ones off. I jacked the truck up and put the frame on jack stands then i loosened the nuts but i cannot get the bolts to budge... How did you guys get the bolts off??? THe nuts came right off they were not to bad but the bolts are a B***h. Do you have any ideas? am i doing something wrong... Please help. Thankyou.. Brad
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You might need to raise or lower the rear axle so that there is less pressure on the shackle bolts, or the bolts might be rusted which will require the use of a BFH to pound them out. :wink:

Be careful, those leaf springs are under some pressure even when the suspension is unloaded and the truck is up on stands.

If you do need to pound them out make sure you don't damage the threads.

Did you get the greasable or non-greasable Daystar's?

Steve
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

i tried beating them out and nothing happend... i got non greasable ones and they cam with new nuts and bolts. i tried raising it and lowering it but no luck...
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

you aint beatin off hard enough :lol:

no really, hit it harder. :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Are you having trouble with the spring side frame side or both? Do they bolts turn at all or are they seized? I would spry the h_ll out of them with penetrating oil and see if a breaker bar with a long section of pipe slipped over the handle will get them turning ,once they turn it's hammer time. I took the rear wheels off and climbed completely under the fender and just bashed till they moved. Make sure your truck is well supported at all times I used jack stands and kept the jack raised on the rear differential for safety.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

one of them will turn the rest are seized. I keep spraying them but to no avail.. There is not allot of room to beat them good with a hammer..

04crewvt how high did you have your truck jacked up? am i correct by removing the bolts while the suspension is raised and then i lower it to put the new shackles on?

Thank you all very much
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

bradjh wrote: am i correct by removing the bolts while the suspension is raised and then i lower it to put the new shackles on?

Thank you all very much

:?:

if you get the springs to unload (they should be kind of arched), then pull the bolts out of the springs....then pull the bolts out of the frame...then you will need to raise the frame of the pickup, or lower the axle so you can line up the new longers shackles, then put the bolts in the frame, then put the bolts in the springs.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Just in case anyone wonders I had the same problem installing my shackles (I bought the exact same ones). The stock bolt and metal sleeve in the bushing are a very tight fit (but good since you don't want slack) and rust together in any salty conditions and the bolt comes out hard! My metal sleeve came out of the rubber bushing with the bolt on one leaf spring and one side of the frame.

I had to get clamps and press the sleeve back in with the new bolts as they are machine pressed in. Messy install since shackles should be easy! Lots of WD40 and time or push hard.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

green02crew wrote:..................Lots of WD40 and time or push hard.
WD40 is completely worthless for this job. Works halfway decently when you need to dry out electrical components but, that is about all it is good for. You need to start about a week before you plan on doing something like this and soak it everyday with PB Blaster or with, what I prefer, Sea Foam Deep Creep.

ImageImage
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yeah my bad I had forgotten about PB Blaster... We call it skunk urine at work. Sorry random fact.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page