Used ZR2 Axle Assembly Price?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Used ZR2 Axle Assembly Price?

Post by F9K9 »

I've been looking for a used 8.5" (8.6") RPO ZR2 rear axle for a couple of years now. I have found one very close to me for $650. Checking CAR-Part.COM shows the price to be about right for my area. The axle is complete rotor to rotor. I am now wondering if, I will be able to find a high pinion Dana 44 of a similar width for the front. Does the price seem steep to you or should I hold out for some matching D44s? Opinions?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That price seems reasonable if it is complete including calipers, rotors and the G80. I would want to see it before putting the money down. Shipping on top might be enough to price it out of the market unless it is a very good one. That is not a problem where it is close to you , I assume. A good plan if you intend to go no further than upgrading the rear.
I would suggest that a different axle may be preferable for the availability of gearing?
The gears in the 8.5 are not going to be what you want for the truck with a SFA and 36" tires. I think you can make a better deal on a matched set of axles. They might even have the ratio that would work.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The axle was just a couple of miles away. I really wasn't concerned with the G80 but, all rpo ZR2 axles would have had one. I would have gone with a locker and ditched the G80.

I had originally planned on a ford 9" rear and hp d44 front. ZR2DAVESFA snapped me out of the 8.5" thoughts quickly this morning. He said the price seemed high to him and that he couldn't sell his original 8.5" so, he gave it away. I'll just keep looking and hopefully I can find both out of the same truck. I was concerned about the disc conversion but, he said it could be done for around $100. If, I wasn't planning on going SFA then the 8.5" would be a nice upgrade, as we discussed a couple of yrs back,

I might even have him do my SFA when the time comes. He does some nice work.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
slammed98gmc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by slammed98gmc »

I picked one up off of ebay for 500$ shipped and all i did was paint it and swap my disc and calipers over. The rotors on the rear I bought where pretty rough and had been sitting outside for awhile. The guy I got it from picked it up at a local salvage yard and then realized it was way to wide for his 2wd lowered truck. I did have to change the pinion yolk, the one of the zr2 is smaller than the 7 5/8 for some reason. I used a yolk from a fullsize truck with an 8.5.
[size=75] 2001 sonoma crew cab-6" superlift-2" bl , 33x12.5 grapplers,zr2 rear axle-skidz cutout flares - L31 5.7L

98 sonoma - lt1/th350 -s480 turbo- 9.4@139mph - [url]http://www.slammed98gmc.com[/url] [/size]
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

At least with the ZR2 8.5" setup, your rear wheels are going to be almost the same width as your front...

I'm glad I got the beefy 8.5" and iron front diff :lol:
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4