New member and new ZR5 with lifting questions

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

FFMEDICLEACH

New member and new ZR5 with lifting questions

Post by FFMEDICLEACH »

First of all yall have a great forum. But my question is i just bought a 2002 sonoma ZR5 Crew with 50K. I have been reading the forum and trying to decide how to lift it. I pull a 3400 lb camper, 21ft boat, and do moderate off roading. What should i do to improve hight and towing. The truck is still bone stock except the new 30x9.5x15 BFG AT KOs. What should i add and in what order.
rickscrewcab
Crew
Crew

Post by rickscrewcab »

Welcome aboard! I'm sure our more experienced members will be chiming in soon to answer all your questions. You will learn to love this site as much as we do! :thumb:
[size=75]2003 crewcab-flowmaster muffler w/dual exhaust and 12" stainless steel tips, cold air intake, color matched bug deflector, LED taillights, Lund tri-fold tonneau, projector foglights, clear corner lights, neft bars, billet grill, Huskey floor mats, molded mud flaps and a Hunter Grill guard. Mods for next years budget...2" body lift, fender flairs, bigger wheels and tires, CB radio.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A little more information. What gearing do you have?
Check the thread on RPO codes to find out what the glove box codes mean.
:wave: Welcome
Are you a Firefighter/Medic? If so, Welcome brother :D

Oh, and some information on the terrain you frequent including road conditions.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
FFMEDICLEACH

Post by FFMEDICLEACH »

Sorry i have a 3.73 Gear ratio. And down here in alabama not much snow to speak of but plenty of mud holes, and a little hill climbing.
And yes i am a fireman/paramedic in Calera, AL
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The 3.73 ratio is a pretty good place to be. I am not sure where you are on your modification list. Personally I think a 2" body lift is the best bang for the buck. I assume you have a receiver hitch. That will need to be raised as well to increase the declination angle. Not to mention it just looks better.
The 2" body lift will give you room for 31" tires , but won't look silly with the 30" tires until you wear them out.
Hit the gallery and browse for some that you like the look of , better yet check out the readers rides thread for pictures with the modifications they have done.
the search here works well you will find everything you need to know about the bodylift and more.

If there are rocks, or stumps to worry about, start looking for shields as a high priority mod.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
FFMEDICLEACH

Post by FFMEDICLEACH »

From what i have read the performance accessories 2" lift kit is the way to go. Does the kit come with the needed components to move the bumpers up and the hitch. If not what is entailed in moving them.I just ordered a set of Bilstien Shocks. Mine were shot. I was wondering about the Shackles or should i get lift springs. I have heard that the longer shackles will affect my towing. As making the rear sway.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Good choice on the shocks! Make sure you relocate your rear differential vent and a new vacuum case transfer switch if those haven't already been done previously, they are apt to fail and cause problems and should be at the top of the list.

To help with towing I would get trailer brake controller if your trailers have brakes, a free flowing exhaust and an intake or the intake mod. Also maybe some programming done for firmer shifts and a transmission cooler. I would add a leaf or get all new leafs if you do a lot of towing instead of getting shackles as they could add some sway. It might ride a little stiffer after the new leafs or adding one but will be higher. I would crank the T-bars and like HenryJ said look for some shields. T-bar crank will gain you some height and help with handling I'm sure someone might disagree with this mod but you can choose for yourself.

You're going to have a huge list of mods on your hands! I have the same year and same amount of mileage and I've done most of the mods mentioned so feel free to post pics and ask questions as you go along!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Welcome aboard,
If you use the search feature you will find lots of posts on springs/shackles and towing options, take a look through those and get some ideas running through you head then post into one of them, it helps us keep track of info better than starting new threads with what to many of us is old information. We can steer you in a direction and help you out better that way.
Here are a couple to start with.
Boise spring works
Sway Problems
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

FFMEDICLEACH wrote:From what i have read the performance accessories 2" lift kit is the way to go. Does the kit come with the needed components to move the bumpers up and the hitch.
Bumpers, yes, although the bumper will no longer be rated for towing. Hitch, no. You will have to modify that yourself. If you have the factory hitch it is easy.
HenryJ wrote:After the 2" bodylift, I raised my factory GM (Valley) hitch by drilling new holes (3 ea.) in the brackets, approx. 1.5" higher that is all the brackets would allow.
This did leave a nice place to mount two recovery hooks by drilling only one additional hole for each.
I was wondering about the Shackles or should i get lift springs.
Springs would be my choice for towing. I know one case where the trailer loaded and shackle swayed enough to rub the driveshaft on the fuel tank. Lots of pull and not enough support.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
FFMEDICLEACH

Post by FFMEDICLEACH »

green02crew wrote:Good choice on the shocks! Make sure you relocate your rear differential vent and a new vacuum case transfer switch if those haven't already been done previously, they are apt to fail and cause problems and should be at the top of the list.
I looked in the mod section but couldn't find the one on the rear differental vent. Also the quad light, and boise spring kit links wouldn't work for me.

After ordering the shocks i started wondering are the ones for the ZR2 and the ZR5 the same.

Thanks for all the quick advise. I am already in love with this site.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

FFMEDICLEACH wrote:After ordering the shocks i started wondering are the ones for the ZR2 and the ZR5 the same.

Thanks for all the quick advise. I am already in love with this site.
I fixed the broken links. Thanks for the heads up! :thumb:
ZR5 was just an appearance package. The RPO ZR2 shocks are not the same. You need the shocks for a non-ZR2 truck. Search Bilstein part number on the forum and you will find the correct part numbers.
HenryJ wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Pretty sure I used 2001 S-10 pickup...Here's the part #'s I have from the receipt: Performance Products parts # 137179 and #137174 (qty 2 each)

More info: Bilstein
The part numbers are still good on their website.

Offroad Warehouse Has free shipping- B46-1410 front , B46-1681 rear
Offroad warehouse wrote:

Part Number:
BS-F4-B46-1410-H0

Product Name:
Bilstein® Shock - Front CHEVROLET S10 PICKUP 82-04 (Exc. ZR2) ZM6 4WD, Front GMC S-15 SONOMA PICKUP 82-04 (Exc. ZR2) 4WD, Front GMC SYCLONE 90-93 4WD, Heavy Duty Bilstein® Part# BS-F4-B46-1410-H0

List Price: $121.00
Our Price: $59.95

Part Number:
BS-F4-B46-1681-H0

Product Name:
Bilstein® Shock - Rear CHEVROLET S10 PICKUP 82-04 2WD (Exc. ZQ8 Extreme) Axle wrap 15998553., Rear CHEVROLET S10 PICKUP 82-04 (Exc. ZR2) ZM6 4WD, Rear GMC S15 PICKUP 82-04 2WD (Exc. Extreme / ZQ8) Axle Wrap 15998553, Rear GMC S-15 SONOMA PICKUP 8

List Price: $121.00
Our Price: $59.95

- ThunderII KE7CSK
FFMEDICLEACH

Post by FFMEDICLEACH »

Thank you very much HenryJ. I had ordered the wrong shocks. Hopefully the will get my email in time to cancel my order. I haven't been a member of this forum for but a couple of hours and it has already helped out and saved my butt.
Thanks again HenryJ your a life saver even off duty.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the forum :wave:

The link in my signature might help you in searching. I am still a newbie whe it comes to searching but, that sticky helped me a bunch.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thank you.
This is on a day when I am not running 100% I am short more than a few hours sleep as we fought fire from 2:00 am until 9:00 am at a food processing facility maintenance building. Remodeled multiple times. Heavy fuel load and tons of electrical. You know the scenario, I am sure.

Think about the polyurethane sway bar bushings and build some quick disconnects when you get a few spare dollars. Might be worth combining with the bodylift kit to save shipping?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yeah I couldn't find the quad light mod either don't feel bad.
Heres the one for relocating axle vent.
I hope you looked into the transfer case vacuum switch problem. I will admit I should have done that earlier but didn't find this site till about 6months after I got my crew.
I am addicted to this site as well and It will be my monetary downfall!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
FFMEDICLEACH

Post by FFMEDICLEACH »

Thanks for the info. You guys are great. Got in touch with the company before they shipped the wrong shocks.

I have been searching the website and have seen several different mods. What are all the needed mods that will prevent costly repairs down the road. I would rather fix them now than pay for them later. Like i said before i have done no mods to my ZR5 at all.

Also i have a local spring shop could the make a kit like the boise spring kit. Don't know if it would be cheaper just curious
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

FFMEDICLEACH wrote:...i have a local spring shop could the make a kit like the boise spring kit. Don't know if it would be cheaper just curious
Print out the information and take it with you. It may help. Shipping is a big part of the cost, so it should save you big! Be sure to fill us in on all the details, and have them save the templates. You may be able to bring them lots more business! Another place that can build the kit would be fantastic!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
FFMEDICLEACH

Post by FFMEDICLEACH »

Where do i get the information for the templates. I am not sure what info you are talking about. Would it be on the boise spring site?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Boise SpringWorks page will only show them what you are trying to have them build. They will jack up the back of your truck and measure the width of the pack, the length for the leaves to be evenly placed and the arch needed to achieve the results you desire. I told them I wanted 1"-1.5" after they settle in. They shot for 2" before break in, I think?
They will then arch a spring to be the template for arching the pack they build. This template is what I was referring to. they need to keep that leaf and the marked lengths for building more. The center hole in the leaves is not the middle so they will have lengths for each leaf. That will be part of the information they will keep, along with the length and diameter for the U-bolts they need to make too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I'm sure someone else can chime in but I can only recall relocating the axle vent, transfercase vacuum switch being replaced w/ the newer version and being careful replacing distributor caps due to cracking the distributor. Also the tailgate cables are prone to breaking and can be replaced for free from the dealer. I can't really think of any more at this time. But search around and read a lot of threads and you'll find something.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab