What size tires will fit on a 15x7 rim??

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

What size tires will fit on a 15x7 rim??

Post by HCO4x4 »

i want to get these nice bfg muds but it says theyre 30x9.50r15. will they fit? whats the widest tire i can fit on this rim?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Welcome to the forum CANIHAVETHIS1. :wave:

A 30x9.5 tire will fit just fine on the factory rims. :wink:

I have 31x10.5 on my factory rims.

You could probably squeeze an 11.5" wide tire on there, but I wouldn't go any farther than that on a 7" rim.

Steve
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

HI! THANKS A LOT
I WASNT SURE HAHA
I PLAN ON GETTING A 2 INCH BODY LIFT AND I THINK I MIGHT STEP UP TO 32'S
WOULD I HAVE ANY RUBBING PROBLEMS OR SHOULD I STICK WITH 30'S?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

With a 2" body lift, 1" torsion bar crank, and shackles or a spring pack you can run 31's with only a little rubbing on the frame when turned at full lock.

The factory steering stops can be "built up" by welding a little more material on them so that the wheels won't rub when turning.

Most 32" tires have an 11.5" width which is pushing it on a 7" rim.

I'm sure you could run 32's with a 2" BL, but you will likely have a lot of rubbing. :?

Some guys are running 33's, but they are only 9.5" wide.

31x10.5 would be my recommendation for factory rims and a 2" BL. :D

If you really want to run 32's with a 11.5" width, I would get the Superlift 6" suspension lift, and some 8" wide rims. :wink:

Steve
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

HAHA YA I USED TO DREAM ABOUT BUYING THE SUPERLIFT BUT ITS OUT OF MY BUDGET.
IF YOU COULD, SEND ME A LINK FOR IT THOUGH. (I MIGHT JUST SAVE UP)
BESIDES THAT I THINK IM GOING TO GO WITH 2" LIFT/ 1" TORSION ON 30-32
STILL NOT POSITIVE ON TIRE SIZE LOL
MY FRIEND HAS A 2"BL AND TBAR AND HES GOT 32'S

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP, I APPRETIATE IT
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the forum :wink:
killian96ss wrote:....................Some guys are running 33's, but they are only 9.5" wide...............
You forgot that I got tired of waiting on my 9.50s and went with 10.50s.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:
killian96ss wrote:....................Some guys are running 33's, but they are only 9.5" wide...............
You forgot that I got tired of waiting on my 9.50s and went with 10.50s.
Yeah I forgot. :bonk:

Would you recommend the 33x10.5 with only a 2" BL?

How bad is the rubbing with those tires? :?

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

With stock setup I could only fit 30x9.5s. The 31x10.5s were too wide and rubbed the frame w/ stock rims. If you got spacers than you might be able to get by with a wider tire.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

As a general rule the tread width and rim width should be the same. This will give you a flat tread pattern. The 9.50 section width has a 7" tread.
You can use a wider tire. The wider tire on a narrow wheel will round and wear the center. A narrower tire would do the opposite and wear the outsides.
Air pressure can be used to compensate.

Go outside and measure your wheel well on the rear fender. I will assume you have a crew cab, since this is a crew cab forum. They measure 31". A 30" tire is pushing the limits but can be used with no lift. Mine rubbed stock with the optional 29" tires.

With a 2" body lift and torsion bar crank you can use 31" tires with minimal rubbing. Rubbing the frame is not really a big deal, but with a true to size 31" tire you will find it rubbing the back of the front fenders. A little massage with a BFH , or a trim with a reciprocal saw helps that.
If you add spacers to the front or use wheels with less rearspacing, you will find the rubbing will become a problem yet again.

Width is where you lose. The radius of the tire as it turns interferes with the rear of the fender. Wider tires, wheels, and rearspacing reduction all lead to interference issues. The shoulder design plays a part too. A sharp or extended lug will have less clearance than a rounded shoulder.

Your best bet is to add the lift and then take some measurements. Put one front tire up on a good high curb and turn it to the point where it is closest to the rear of the front fender. Measure the clearance. Half that you need to clear and half can be added as a larger diameter tire. Don't forget to take into account any additional width too.

I really do not think a 32" tire is an option without the same sort of cuts that are needed to run the 33" tires. They just do not make a narrow 32" tire with a rounded shoulder. Small 31" tires work, but even they will rub a little sometimes.

To run 33" tires , either 9.50 or 10.50 section width, you need to do some pretty serious cutting. Check out the "Marvelous Mystery Lift" for more on that.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

When I had 31" MT/R's on my CC they rubbed a little on the frame, but they did not rub the fender well no matter how the front end was flexed.

I was also able to get 60k miles out of these tires. :D

Even with that mileage the tread wear was near perfect from side to side.

Frequent cross rotations, proper tire pressure, and a good alignment are the key to long tire life and even wear.

A 31" tire on a 7" rim will actually do better when aired down then a 30" tire due to the bead having more pressure against the rim.

A 32" with a 11.5" tread might be a little too much for a 7" rim. :?

Steve
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

o ok thanks
i dont know how my friends 32's fit then
he didnt make any cuts and he says they only rub on hard turns
anyways im going to go the 31 route
thanks for the help guys
and does anyone know where i could get the cheapest 3" lift?
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2" lift for the crew cabs.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

oo where can i get the cheapest 2" lift and 1" tb's
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

Suspension wise... You'll probably only find 2" lifts and 5" or 6" lifts...

Body lifts are 2" unless you do a lot of linkage fabbing to fit a 1st gen S-Series 3" body lift.
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Best deal I found on the 2" Performance Accessories body lift was at Summit. Search for part number PRA-PA-192

For the 1" torsion bar lift, jack up the front end, get a wrench, and start cranking. :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

ALRIGHT THANKS
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

now when i lift the tb 1" will that wear the joints fast or am i safe?
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

o and will it noticably effect the ride?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

CANIHAVETHIS1 wrote:o and will it noticably effect the ride?
I am afraid that I am confused with the question. A BL will not affect your ride. A torsion bar crank will ride harsher and accelerate wear on your front end components.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

sorry, my question has nothing to do with the body lift. im asking if i crank the t bar 1" will i notice it riding worse and even tho its only 1" will it still wear things faster?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You are entering a really strange land with your questions. Doing a thorough search will help answering your questions but, I will try to give you the cliff notes from where I am coming from. A stock CC handles terribly IMO. I stepped out of a '97 ZR2 when I purchased my CC so, I am a tad biased. The stock CC suspension is too soft. I replaced my oem shocks when my CC had under 1,000 miles on it. The firm ride that resulted was extremely welcome and much more reassuring in corners or anticipating emergency maneuvers. Performing a TB crank will create a harsher ride which is welcome by me. Performing a torsion crank that meets GM's specs will accelerate front end component wear and tear. Try performing a search, in which, I am involved along with the term "Z height" .

Kick back, grab some pop and some popcorn and enjoy

:wink:
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

ok thanks, i think im gonna go without messing with the tb and see how the wheels fit. your right they are rough. my dad never wants to ride with me. :lol:
plus i have low pros, its already a tank
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I cranked my tbars and the handling was increased with the stiffer ride. I thought it made it rough, try a toyota pickup stock if you think ours is rough. I also put in aftermarket shocks as mine were 100% dead with very few miles. I have had my tbars cranked for about a year now 15k miles with a front end all original at 52k miles as of today. Some people say no to it. I think its pros outweigh the cons. Fit larger tires, better handling, even though parts supposedly wear slightly faster. I've heard of guys cranking them all the way like mine for years, over 50k and nothing worn in the front end. Its up to you if you want to take the chance and see if its worth it for you. I don't regret it at all.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

thanks for the input. if the 31's dont fit ill have to crank it a little. but for now it sounds better to leave it alone.
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

i got my lift yesterday. and of course i came into somemoney also. now i could afford the 6" but i think imjust gonna buy my wheels and save the rest. by the way, could someone take a pic of where to crank the torsion bars. i dont know :)
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Check the mods page here Torsion Bar Crank.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

so that looks to me to be on the bottom of the frame..right?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

HCO4x4 wrote:so that looks to me to be on the bottom of the frame..right?
Basically yes. Look under the vehicle in the area even with the seam between the front and back doors. You'll see a solid steel rod about 3'-4' long and 1" dia. coming from the lower control arm back along the inside of the frame. At the rear end of that steel bar you'll see a bolt head...that's what you crank to lift it. Tighter=taller. Don't bottom them out all the way though. Leave at least 1 full turn from bottomed out and measure to make sure everything's even. Also get an alignment very soon afterwards or you'll chew through tires fast.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

i see two bolts on either side. which one do i tighten
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

From the How-to linked above.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

o oops. im getting used to just asking and not looking lol. thanks a lot.
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

also got my 31's and rims today. they look great! but one rim is different(style and lug) so im going to have to ship it back and wait before i can put them on :? . good thing i have a loaded agenda this week or id be upset :lol: