Lifts And Auto Insurance ??

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Lifts And Auto Insurance ??

Post by gocntry »

Anybody With A Lifted Truck Have A Problem With Your Auto Insurance??

I Ask My Insurance Co. (Nationwide) What Would Happen If I Added A Professionally Made 6" Lift Kit To My Truck. I Explained That It Would Still Be A Daily Driver NOT A Competition Vehicle. It Would Pass The Yearly State Inspections.
They Said Do That And We'll Cancel Your Insurance.

OK, So Can Anybody Recomend An Insurance Company That Will Not Have A Problem With This?

I Really Don't Expect Them To Cover Damage If I Crash Into A Tree Or Something Like That. But To Cancel It Because I "Altered The Suspension" Seems Stupid

Thanks
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Change insurance companies and don't mention modifications.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I have safeco. when a lady backed into me at a parking lot they came out to see the damage and didn't say a word about the mods to my truck.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Just don't tell them and they won't know.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

green02crew wrote:Just don't tell them and they won't know.
but, he has told them that he intends to and they told him he'd be dropped. So, if he goes ahead with lift and doesn't tell them, he may get away with it. Unless of course he ever submits a claim, then he's in a heap of trouble.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

There have been some posts going around on the SCCA boards of people getting canceled due to racing. Mind you not an accident while racing but just due to the fact that they were racing. There are mixed results on how the insurance companies were finding out but the SCCA guys are pretty big on posting pictures and times on the web. The insurance co's are getting pickier and sneakier on these types of things.
I do know that a friend of mine wanted State Farm to cover his modifications to his Dakota. It was lowered with shaved handles and a custom paint job. He had done NO HP performance mods. State Farm said they would cover it as is but if he made any more modifications to the truck they would drop him. About 6 months later they asked to see the truck again... He had not made any changes so they kept him and he never heard from them again. THis was in the last 5 years.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I've Made Some Calls To Insurance Companies Here And Have The Following So Far:

Nationwide - NO Modifications
Gmac - NO Modifications

Progressive - 4" Maximum Lift

Geico - 6" Maximum Lift

Allstate - Covered As Long As Lift Is Documented (keep receipts) And Vehicle Is On A Public Road - NO Coverage Offroad

Still Waiting On State Farm & Farm Bureau
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

had the same thing happen to me when i had my lifted crew, my dad went in to update the family policy and mentioned to them that i had lifted my truck :bonk: they said how much, because they could still insure it if it was 2" or less. he told them like 6" and they said they could no longer insure me.

so i switched to progressive and didn't mention the lift, didn't have a problem at all.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:Change insurance companies and don't mention modifications.
This is what I would do. :wink:

I currently have full coverage on all 3 of my vehicles through AAA and they will cover all aftermarket parts as long as you keep the receipts and pay a little extra to cover these additional items.

When I totalled my CC I did not have the extra coverage, however AAA was nice enough to let me take everything off that was aftermarket before they sold the truck at a local auction.

I still miss my CC! :(

Steve
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

f9k9 wrote:Change insurance companies and don't mention modifications.
Only problem is if you get full coverage and have a claim for them to pay for repairs, they will probably only pay for factory parts...that is IF they don't decide to not cover you at all by claiming with holding this kind of info voids the policy.

The good news is, if the wreck is your fault it shouldn't effect fixing the other guy's car...back to factory specs of course.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Opps Forgot About This Thread... :oops:

The Follow Up Is I Changed To Farm Bureau, My Truck Is Insured As A Modified Truck, I Have To Keep Any Receipts To The Mods I Do And They Will Be Covered Under My Insurance. I'm Also Saving $500.00 A Year By Switching.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

gocntry wrote:I'm Also Saving $500.00 A Year By Switching
I thought you could only do that with Guyco :?:
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Geico?
Let me shed some light on Geico.
Granted it has been quite some years back now, but Geico was prosecuted by the federal government to my rocollections. Seems they began a program where they were providing the latest in technology, free of charge, in the form of radar guns to police departments nationwide. Now considering at the time that a documented 'quota' system had been declared taboo throughout the country. Their gift blatantly came with the condition that 'x' number of citations were to be written, based on the use of the 'gift' it self, within a given time frame. Now certainly that would not appear as any sort of quota system would it? Come to think of it, an automobile insurance company would absolutely not stand to gain in any way from such a situation, now would they? I'm convinced that their concern was solely for my own safety and that of others, and keeping the highways and byways of these great United States, safer for us all.
They'll tell you that they've no avenue of checking your driving record, as will most local authorities........don't believe them........and I wouldn't even think of trusting my insurance coverage to Geico. Not that they are really any different from the rest.
Just my .02
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Fraid I gotta disagree with ya on the Geico "gift" thing stalker. Obvious way they could gain from the arrangement is this: Increased number of tickets written=higher insurance premiums for arrestees as well as they then could use this as a back door filter to drop insurance on those thus "caught" resulting in fewer "risk" insureds on their roles. Safer? Maybe. More profitable, definitely! Corporate thinking at work. Cost of equipment "donated" outweighed by income generation and cost reduction. That's my .02 worth.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Roadrunner......I'd say that with the two of us on the same page here, we'd have .04 between us huh?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Stalker, looks like that .04 and a couple bucks might get us each a coffee. :wink: :lol:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.