BIG PROMLEM!!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

BIG PROMLEM!!

Post by HCO4x4 »

i was takeing the bolts off to do my lift and now i have 3 bolts broken off. what can i do o get them out?? im sure this has happened to someone else. but i want to finish the lift today so help me if you can guys. i need it. i have a wedding i have to drive to tom.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have drilled bolts out but thats not always the best idea.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Drill , easyout, tap.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Which bolts are we talking about? :?

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

First spray all down with a good penetrating oill. Then if possible take a small hammer and rap on them sharply. This will help the oil penetrate. If you can get at them with a 1/2" air impact use it. Be brave when you do. Many bolts will come loose due to the impacting vibration of the air impact. If not then try your best with hand tools and pray for the best. If they twist off then you are in drill and easy out purgatory. Best of luck to you!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

you can try to heat very high the bolt with torch and cool it very fast with wather.the nut will come a litle bit smaller cause to the heat treatment.put oil and you can try to heat the nut ,it will come biger when hot then try to un bolt.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

This is beginning to sound like a Heep Cherokee forum :lol: Almost all of their exterior fasteners come frozen from the factory (j/k) and snap off when performing maintenance or modifications. Rule of thumb is to soak all fasteners with PB Blaster (I prefer Sea Foam Deep Creep), once a day for at least a week before beginning the job. The drill, easy out, tap method is used frequently. Accessing the nut welded to the body is common, just requires welding the cut piece back on. I have had pretty good luck with the soaking route and have only snapped one bolt on a 16 yr old POS heep!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

lol i should have soaked it, but the shipping was so fast(im not complaining) and i was excited to do it. only 3 hrs yesterday and 7am to 10pm today. im exhausted. i decided to just continue the lift without taking the broken bolts out. theyre long enough to hold everything in place and its only two on one side and 1 on the other. it looks pretty sweet. the kit was pretty good i only had to mod the rear bumper brackets and oil fitler bracket. thanks for the help guys.ill post pictures tomorrow.
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

killian96ss wrote:Which bolts are we talking about? :?

Steve
x2
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sounds like body and bed mounting bolts. I might skip one but, not two.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

f9k9 wrote:Sounds like body and bed mounting bolts. I might skip one but, not two.
Especially if they are in a row. Could cause a bumpy ride and loss of the rubber mount on flex. It also will be hard to keep the cab and bed aligned.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

So, 3 of the body mount bolts are broken? :?

If you have snapped 3 of them I would fix them before driving around. :shock:

Steve
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

ok heres a little diagram lol
x = broken bolt
o = good bolt

o o o x
o x o x

thats the cab
i rode around everywhere today and even off road. no problems what so ever. i know its not the "right" thing, but it saves me time and frustration. im sure you guys know what i mean. i think i yelled about 300 cuss words yesterdday haha
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HCO4x4 wrote:.........................i rode around everywhere today and even off road. no problems what so ever. i.....................
Don't let your GF, wife, children, friends or pets ride with you then! That's way over 30% of what is holding the cab to the frame! Take the time and fix that! No offense but, that is dangerous!!!!!!!!!
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

ok, ill take it appart on monday and see what i can do. thanks for looking out for my gf/dog :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That's great! Don't know where you are located at (hint :wink: ) but, unless you have had a beer then you have time to run to wallyworld to get some PB Blaster and soak them for 2 nights.

Imagine some cell phone talking jerk pulling into your path and you're missing 3 cab mounting bolts.
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

yea your right, actualy i have a little in the garage. i just didnt use it cuz the lift got here so fast remember lol. ill go do that now. but after that is there anything i can do besides drilling it out. like can i put something on and then crank it out.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I know on the first generation S Series the bolts went into a space between the inner and outer cab. The old school guys were pulling the carpet back and using a metal cutting hole saw or grinder to cut a hole over the bolt so they could expose the threaded end of the bolt. Then soaking the threads down with PB Blaster. I remember a few from the forum drilling them out and bolting them threw because of the rusted or damaged threads.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Soak them for starters. You have had some of the best wrenchers give you advice already. You will need some A1 tools to do it right. A good drill (go slowly and lubricate), a good bit and hope that HenryJ, Killian or other's can give you good advice. My rig was new enough that I had no problems with those bolts. I have read so many horror stories on Jeep threads that I tread lightly when attempting a task. I bet I have purchased 20 cans of Sea Foam Deep Creep in the last 13 months. :lol:

Might be worth checking around for prices to have them removed correctly. Just be humble when you inquire about prices. Explain your financial situation to them. Establish a rapport with them. You may need them again :wink:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

BADs Crew wrote:I know on the first generation S Series the bolts went into a space between the inner and outer cab. The old school guys were pulling the carpet back and using a metal cutting hole saw or grinder to cut a hole over the bolt so they could expose the threaded end of the bolt. Then soaking the threads down with PB Blaster. I remember a few from the forum drilling them out and bolting them threw because of the rusted or damaged threads.
I have done the same thing on a few Muscle cars that had frozen body bolts that wouldn't come out even with a good soaking of PB Blaster. :x

If you do have to drill an access hole to get to the threaded end of the bolt, I would recommend finding the plastic hole plugs, then the correct size hole saw so you don't have problems later trying to find the right size hole plug. :wink:

I would also recommend measuring the area where the hole will be drilled 20 times :lol: before you actually drill the hole so that they line up perfect.

You only get one shot to make sure the access hole is lined up with the bolt. :wink:

Steve
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

ok, i think im going to cut a hole soak it and then go from there. if i cant get it then its to the shop :? thanks for the advise guys.