Hockey pucks???

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

nineteeneleven
Regular
Regular

Hockey pucks???

Post by nineteeneleven »

Hi - Great site!!!!

I have a 2002 CC , I would like to put 31" tires on it with a 2" body lift.
Could I use 2 hockey pucks under each body mount to raise it 2" ???
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not really a good idea. One piece is better than two.
Not all the mounts can use a 3" diameter mount. The bed and bumper need smaller diameter blocks.
You are not really saving much if anything. Your would still need bolts, the oil filter relocation bracket, drop brackets for the rear bumper as well as the smaller blocks and bed mount square tubing spacers.

The kits are really not over priced for what you get.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I use the pucks for coil spring bump stops on my heep but they are too soft to use as part of a body lift. If, you do go with a BL then I would look at the "poly" mounts from Daystar and kill 2 birds with one stone.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
nineteeneleven
Regular
Regular

Post by nineteeneleven »

o.k thanks for the replays and good points about just buying the lift - I will order one .
(I have to save some cash for tires,wheels and fender flares first anyway ) - I am hoping to have about $1200 saved by late spring
nineteeneleven
Regular
Regular

Post by nineteeneleven »

HenryJ - I was just on your home web page.
I think I am going to takes some notes!!!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you can get along with the stock wheels you can save some money there.
I like the stock wheels and there is not room for less rearspacing.
Lift and tires is a good start and can be done for about $700 add $50 for an alignment if you mess with the t-bars.
Put shocks high on your list. They are a very good bang for the buck.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nineteeneleven
Regular
Regular

Post by nineteeneleven »

o.k. I was look at replacement wheels only to go with maybe 4" back spacing?? When I raise the truck 2" I was worried about giving the truck a wider stance????
nineteeneleven
Regular
Regular

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/~henryj/tow.jpg

Post by nineteeneleven »

If I could ask something else also??

What size tiers do you have in this pic?? They look really good

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those are 31" Geolandar M/Ts. 2" bodylift and T-bar adjustment. Those tires run small, so they worked pretty well.

Less rearspacing will be a real rubbing issue. You are going to rub the rear of the front fender using the stock wheels and 31x10.5 tires , even with the 2" bodylift.
Our wheels have 6" rear spacing. If you use less the tires get closer to the fender.

Put a tire up on the curb and turn your wheel to where it comes closest to the rear of the fender. Measure the space you have.
Subtract 1.5" for the 31" tires since they are wider and taller. Now see how much you have left for less rear spacing.
I think you will find you have little or none.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

nineteeneleven wrote:o.k. I was look at replacement wheels only to go with maybe 4" back spacing??........................................
You can look. :) Hundreds of S series 4wd owners have looked for yrs, without much luck. I bashed heads with HenryJ over the same issue and thought that I had room for something related to wheels and tires. I was always wrong :lol:

Barch97 had major rubbing issues with stock tires and 3.75" BS Cragars. Start looking for S-10 OEM wheels that you like. Who knows, you mind even find a newbie ZR5 owner that wants to get black steel wheels :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I've got 4" backspace & no lift and, I wouldn't characterize my rubbing issue as "major". :roll:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:I've got 4" backspace & no lift and, I wouldn't characterize my rubbing issue as "major". :roll:
When one needs a BFH to correct a problem, then it is not a minor one. Get off your dormant arse and start answering some of these commonly asked questions!Image

You're only on here when at work or Image
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:I've got 4" backspace & no lift and, I wouldn't characterize my rubbing issue as "major".
Are you running 31x10.5 tires as he is going to?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

f9k9 wrote:
barch97 wrote:I've got 4" backspace & no lift and, I wouldn't characterize my rubbing issue as "major". :roll:
When one needs a BFH to correct a problem, then it is not a minor one. Get off your dormant arse and start answering some of these commonly asked questions!Image

You're only on here when at work or Image
actually I used an NSP
Last edited by barch97 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HenryJ wrote:
barch97 wrote:I've got 4" backspace & no lift and, I wouldn't characterize my rubbing issue as "major".
Are you running 31x10.5 tires as he is going to?
nope, which further begs the question... why was I dragged into this discussion in the first place? :wink:
nineteeneleven
Regular
Regular

Post by nineteeneleven »

I have spent the last day or so reading over different topics - I see you guys always answer the same questions over and over (from people like me :oops: )

Thanks for doing that ( It must get old sometimes :wink: )
Last edited by nineteeneleven on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nineteeneleven
Regular
Regular

Post by nineteeneleven »

So anyway .......................
I want to put on 35" on my CC ,
do I need a lift??? or maybe remove the fenders and bed???

No really thanks again for the answers to the questions :D
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

i think that unless you have a LOT of cash its not going to happen. You'd need a big lift.
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

sorry if i just squashed your dreams :lol:
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
nineteeneleven
Regular
Regular

Post by nineteeneleven »

HCO4x4 wrote:sorry if i just squashed your dreams :lol:

No HenryJ already did that - I was hoping to fit 31" with out a BL

He did save me alot of time and money though
:D
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

haha ok. im not sure about without a lift but thats what im getting and i have the lift
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:............actually I used an NSP
Calling your hand on this one, bro!
barch97 wrote:Cranked and aligned and it still rubs when I go over bumps. So, I did my first BFH body panel mod. :D

That feels GOOD :lol:
From Oh Crap...it rubs! 09/94!!!!! 8)
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

200+ posts deleted in the past month but that one remains :roll:

I would never be so cruel as to strike my baby with a hammer of any size. I bent the inner lip of the fender panel back up against itself with a Normal Sized Plier.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

nineteeneleven wrote:
HCO4x4 wrote:sorry if i just squashed your dreams :lol:

No HenryJ already did that - I was hoping to fit 31" with out a BL

He did save me alot of time and money though
:D
Shoot! And here I was just sitting back with the popcorn and coke to watch this episode of the Red Green show!! :lmao: (Hockey Pucks?) :?:
Sorry man. I just couldn't resist any longer. :lol:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:.................. (Hockey Pucks?) :?:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Thanks for the pic. :roflmao: I already knew what they were. Just thought they'd be something Red Green would think to use. Nobody get ruffled I'm just pokin a little fun here. :hehe:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
nineteeneleven
Regular
Regular

Post by nineteeneleven »

I like The Red Green Show............... could you tell??? lol

I have not seen that show in years!!
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Yeah, I like it too. Only reruns on pbs around here now though. Especially liked Red's constant attempts to make cars or whatever into something they aren't.
Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Steventruck »

FYI Summit Racing can do custom wheels. I know that my suspension and inner fenders are slightly different than that of the CC (I have a ZR2), But the stock wheels are the same (15"x 7" with 6" of back spacing).

I wanted black steel wheel that woud fit and not kill the ball joints and hub bearings. I ordered Crager 342 (D-hole) 15" x 8" with 5.5" of BS. The inside edge of the rim sit 1/2" further outboard than stock, the outer edge is 1-1/2". I am able to run 32x11.5R15 MTRs with no rubbing. This tire size is 1" taller and 1"wider than my stock size.

These custom rims where $58 shipped, each. Compared with about $40 plus shipping for in-stock sizes, I thought this route was reasonable.

Food for thought.

Steve.

P.S. good to be back on this forum again :)
[size=75]1999 ZR2 regular cab Chevy pick-up, trip computer, Knaffle lift shackles, Warn M8000, Leer topper, Blazer power seats, Leather steering wheel with radio controls... Basically comfort features for a leasurely off-road jaunt.[/size]