Rancho RSX shocks

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rancho RSX shocks

Post by turkeestalker »

I know that the overall concensus of this site is that Bilstien shocks are the ones to use, but I found a local dealer with a buy 3 get 1 free on the Rancho RSX. Full set with tax will be about $180. Just fishing for opinions on these shocks, are they any good or not?
Jim
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I think they are pretty comparable. I haven't run either so I can't say for sure but personally with that price I would go for the ranchos. I went a little cheaper and am satisfied with what I got.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Thanks green. There are some significant differences in design, twin vs. mono tube etc, but since they do come with a lifetime warranty, and I would be getting them from an established local shop which makes replacement easier, I think I'll try them. Unless of course someone has a solid reason otherwise. I know that in some threads, the 5000 series Ranchos were thought to be too stiff by some. With the design of the RSX, I don't think that will be a problem.
Please, somone tell me if I'm wrong here.
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

i have rancho 5ooo on my cc and it's good shocks stifer than original,but the eye at the 2 end dont fit perfectly whit the tab and frame atachement.it could be beter whit shims and mabe a sleeve betwin the eye and bolt.whitout adjusment it sound loose.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I had the rancho rs5000's they were pretty stiff shock.

I did purchase bilsteins off ebay, either I'm used to the rancho's being stiff or I don't think I got the HD one's, which I don't think I did they seem too bouncy compared to the rancho's.

I think I'm going to put the rancho's back on when it gets warmer.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I run the RSX's they are a stiff ride but since I carry a lot of weight in my truck all the time I like them. I would like to ride in a rig with Bilsteins someday to see if there is a noticeable difference.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Thanks guys, for your input, decided to go ahead with the RSXs. Picked them up yesterday and installed them with the 'assistance' of my 8 and 12 year old sons. Only took about twice as long as it should have with thier help! :lol:
What can I say, they gotta learn this stuff sometime.
After having read a few threads regarding a noticable 'thud' with the Ranchos, I tried them without washers and did get the 'thud'. Went back under this afternoon and added one washer to the top mount of each front as a spacer, and viola! No more 'thud'.
They are stiff, but not too stiff. Now I think the soccer mom mini van rides like a half ton truck is supposed to. Haven't had it out on the highway at speed yet, but I do like thier behavior around town so far. For the money I paid, I think I made the right decision. Not discounting Bilstiens in any way, but I am very happy with my Ranchos. Now we'll just see how long they last before I need to take advantage of that 'lifetime' warranty.
Thanks again,
Jim
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Well I don't think you went wrong. They are a good shock. I figure there are certain parts that when I buy them new, odds are I will be getting rid of the vehicle before they wear out. Shocks should fall into this category.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

Sorry to kinda change the topic. I am going to replace my shocks here in a few months. I still have the stock shocks on my 2002 CC with 28,000 miles. I have been reading about how everyone likes the bilstiens or ranchos. My question is this. My truck is used mostly for commuting and city driving. I use it for hunting/off road 4-5 weekends a year. Are the bilstiens or ranchos still the best choice for me. My wife complains about the rough ride of the truck now. I hate the thought of putting $300 worth of shocks on the truck, just to hear. "I dont notice a difference" from her. I am looking for shock that offers a descent ride with some off road ability.
thanks in advance.
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

The Rancho RSX that I went with would not be your best choice if those are the words you wish not to hear from her. They are a truck shock, and ride accordingly. I have no experience with the Bilstiens so can't offer any insight into what sort of ride you could expect from them, but I would suspect they might offer a similar end result. My thinking would be that perhaps you should not go with a 'heavy duty' sort of 'truck' shock. Hopefully others here can point you toward something specific.
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I want it all !! I want my CC to ride like a cadillac . Just kidding. I just dont need a off road shock, as I dont use the truck for off road. Trying to find a good compromise.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

if you are at 28k with the factory shocks any good aftermarket shock will make a world of difference the factory ones are almost certainly shot. Mine were bad at 6k.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

yeah, my right rear is leaking. Would it have been so hard for GM to put a better shock on their vehicle. I know automakers are trying to keep up by cutting costs. But, the way a cars now a days ride like crap after the first 5-10k You would think it would make a difference in customer loyalty when it comes time to rebuy.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

For the best of all worlds go with the Rancho 9000x's with the interior air controllers then you could adjust firmness as needed from inside the cab ( if money was no object that's what I would have done).
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:if you are at 28k with the factory shocks any good aftermarket shock will make a world of difference the factory ones are almost certainly shot. Mine were bad at 6k.
Words of wisdom! I changed mine out under 1K. Something else to think about is how long you plan on owning the truck. I had Bilstiens(OEM from factory) on my ZR2 and they were great. They were one of the very first mods I did and the difference was like night and day. $60 each isn't really that bad. You should see some of the prices coming up trying to shock a lifted heep. A decent lifted heep shock is what you would pay for 4 HD Bilstiens :bonk:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Snotick wrote:I want it all !! I want my CC to ride like a cadillac ...Trying to find a good compromise.
You don't have to compromise. Buy the Bilsteins. Do your research. Visit their website. If you plan to keep the truck long term, it is a good investment. You will not be sorry.
They do not have a harsh ride.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I have read some of the other posts here. That was the main reason for my concern with the ride. I got the impression that the Bilsteins were geared toward the off road enthusiast. I do plan to keep the truck long term. I was leaning toward the Bilsteins from the beginning. Cost is not a major concern. The $300 is an acceptable price, for a quallity product. I just wanted to make sure that I will be happy (or more importantly, my wife) will be happy with the ride. I am assuming that everyone is installing the Bilstein HD shocks and not the regular that I am seeing on ebay. I havent priced the shocks here locally yet. I have this on my list of projects for next month.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Most of the shocks you see on ebay are removed from factory installations or OEM replacements. You do want the HD shocks. Part numbers are in the appropriate threads.
Mercedes uses Bilstein as its stock shock. That should say something about the ride quality.

The reason they hold up offroad is the monotube design and patented springless valving. No springs to weaken over time.
I think the inverted rear shocks are a great idea for keeping debris off the seals and protecting the tube from damage.

They are a lifetime shock.

Really sorry to take the Rancho thread off track. This discussion would have been better in a Bilstein thread.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I agree, sorry for hijacking the thread, I got the answer I needed. Thanks HenryJ
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

My friend just got rancho's with the 9 way adjustable. He hasn't installed them yet but showed them to me and asked if they were right. You can compress them easily. They have about half the resistance of my bilsteins. is this normal? He hasn't installed yet but I told him it could be the valving as harsh hits are different than a constant hand pressure. He only uses the truck to haul a camper and wanted a shock to prevent sway. I advised maybe air but he didn't want them and the truck is a 1 ton so its got plenty of strength in the rear end.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Bilsteins buy 3 get one free (for our trucks) ends today!!!!!
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:Bilsteins buy 3 get one free (for our trucks) ends today!!!!!
:x Had I known that, and wasn't a day late, i might have just bought shocks yesterday, though I didnt plan to till my lift was done! :x :x :x
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

fallvitals wrote:
YellowCrewCabber wrote:Bilsteins buy 3 get one free (for our trucks) ends today!!!!!
:x Had I known that, and wasn't a day late, i might have just bought shocks yesterday, though I didnt plan to till my lift was done! :x :x :x
I was hoping you would see my post before it was too late. Sorry. You should still consider getting them. I just put a set on mine. I have never purchased shocks in my life. Thank you s-10crewcab.com. You :rock: !!
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

oh well. I didnt really consider putting shocks on my list till last night anyways. Im sure im still gonna get the bilsteins.... it will just take a while.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Well ANY shock is better that what was factory installed. The bilsteins are worth it. They are hard to compress. An idea of my old shocks performance.....take a paper lunch sack, blow it up, now open the top and crush it with both hands. That is real close to what my oem shocks were like.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am sure that one of my first PMs from HJ was concerning this mod. To paraphrase I think, he said it 'handles like it is on rails" and I have to agree.

We have argued which is the best handling mod back and forth, over the years but, the bilstiens and Energy Suspension Sway Bar Mod was a close race on which was best.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Alright well back to the Ranchos that I had asked about before! My coworker let them set open overnight as he was going to call Rancho the following day and see what was up with them. When he went back to them in the morning, on the hardest setting he could barely get them to move. On setting 2 or so, they are about as firm as the bilsteins. Even on the softest setting, it takes some time to get them to close. He is quite satisfied now and possibly I'll look into those for my next vehicle. They would be very nice with some weight or a load which was his plan anyway.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A friend of mine used those RSX for a while. He says the adjustability is nice , but once you get them set where you want them they never really get adjusted again. While fun at first, the novelty wears off. He said they do ride better than any of the other Rancho shocks.
They were in the top of my list when I was doing my research. Once I looked into different designs I decided to use a different design for my situation.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I would stop adjusting them as well if I had them but my coworker will set them each time I can see it now! He bought the truck just for a camper hauling vehicle and it is really nice but he also takes it through town now and again. He has upgraded the rear suspension so it rides like a tank. It has never seen a snowflake or a mud puddle and looks as though it just came from the showroom floor. His rancho 5000s were gone when removed, possibly due to the amount of weight he's hauling?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Shocks of this design just don't last very long. The twin tube design serves to insulate the inner tubes oil. This increases the heat. The outer tube is the only place heat can dissipate. You may notice competition shocks using remote reservoirs. That is an excellent way to increase volume and surface area.
Next issue is springs. Using springs for the valving eventually they wear out. They really get a workout and are constantly being flexed. With time they just get tired. Not much you can do about that.

Monotube and springless valving is an advantage.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

I thought that I'd gotten a pretty good deal on the buy 3 get one free Rancho RSX with a lifetime warrantly. Don't even think of saying, "I told you so!", I've already said it to myself for all of you!
The Ranchos are a decent shock, but only last a year or so of normal driving. Sure replacement is free, but not my labor, and though not a difficult task, not something one cares to repeat on a regular basis.
Listen to the wisdom of the 'been there....done thats'. Spend the few dollars more, buy the Bilsteins, and save yourself from having to do it again next year.
Should've taken my own advice!