Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

I have had my s10 crew cab ZR5 for about 7months now. But as of right now it really doesnt look like a 4x4 and i want to get it that way. So right now i want to put some big tires on it but i am not to sure on the size and what brand to pick?!? everything on it is stock. Also i am not to sure on what size lift i want on it. :?: I'm a female and only 5'5, so i dont want anything ALL that big...what would ya'll say??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Consider the 2" body lift. Are you handy with tools?
There are plenty of threads on the lift, what tires will fit and how to do the install. Check out our mod pages on the website too. The directions are there and you can see what is involved.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

But remember i am a female... some of that stuff i really dont understand....kinda need it broken down a little bit for me to understand it. thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Being female is no excuse. Gender has nothing to do with it. You will find a whole bunch of good people here to help you understand anything. Just ask.
Your first task is to master the skills needed to search this forum.
Key words will help.
For the lift try searching for "PA192" or "body lift". Maybe even "2" lift". How about "Install lift."
Browse through and ask a question in the thread to bring it back to life.

The information Forum has a great thread for beginners : Welcome new users Be sure to check out the movie: Posting and you
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Welcome to the forum grumpy! I agree with HJ. Being female is no excuse. I've known some very knowledgeable and capable "lady" mechanics in my time. Don't be intimidated. I also just recently noticed a longtime member looking for 1 1/2" seat risers so I don't think you're alone in being a little "vertically challenged". :wink: Again Welcome! :wave:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well nobody gets cut any slack around here huh?? We recently had a thread with a very similar question answered here:
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... highlight=
Also check out the readers rides page to see what some others have done and maybe find a look you would like to go for?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hey green! Not a matter of "slack" just don't want members of either sex feeling intimidated about working on their CC. It isn't rocket science and anybody can do it with a little knowledge and encouragement. Though I have to admit some of the things Brule and others have done with a sawzall on their flares makes me a little squeamish. But then I never liked body work anyway.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

To the Forum! Just make a stab at searching and then come back and ask if, your questions were not answered.
Check out the search clues in the last line of my sig.

Reed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hey Reed! Where you keep coming up with the cool signs and such? This one above impressed me! :schwing:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

PM sent roadrunner.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

Hey green! Not a matter of "slack" just don't want members of either sex feeling intimidated about working on their CC. It isn't rocket science and anybody can do it with a little knowledge and encouragement. Though I have to admit some of the things Brule and others have done with a sawzall on their flares makes me a little squeamish. But then I never liked body work anyway.
I am not intimidated on working on it, if i was i wouldnt be here asking for help. I just want it to be know that i am new with all of this. And when i read a buch of these threads i get lost in what ya'll are talking about. I want to be taught on how to work on my truck, i just need things broken down, explained a little more than some. like if i can put a certain size tires on my stock truck but i need to do this or do that to make it fully work then i need to know what those parts are, what they do and what they are good for. I want to know it all... just gonna take me a little of time to catch on, thats all.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I hear ya! Its taken me a LONG time to figure some things out. I'd read through a whole thread one day, not understand a bit of it, read it again and it would just click. The two first things I thought were the most important were the plastic distributor and transfercase vacuum switch before you do any mods just read about those just in case. I'm glad I found this site just because of those two things it makes this whole site worth it because that could cause some costly repairs. Oh and I couldn't sawzall my truck either, it was hard enough for me to cut my exhaust and swaybar endlinks as things were so rusted out. No way I could do the body.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

the only body work that is gonna be done is a paint job...something to match the letters in the back window and to make it still look like a 4x4... just plan on changing the hood and head and tail lights and little things like that. i alreayd have everything picked out...just a matter of money. but i do want to do some little things under the hood to make it run at its best.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I'm satisfied with performance so far with the modifications I have made. I have not had the time to fully test the underdrive pulleys but plan to put a few hundred miles on this weekend and feel that would make a decent comparison for fuel economy. Performance is much better than stock in power, mpg, handling, and offroad ability. I feel like they should have come from the factory with some of these modifications.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

grumpybcone6 wrote: i alreayd have everything picked out...just a matter of money. but i do want to do some little things under the hood to make it run at its best.
Sounds like you're in the same approximate situation as most of us on the forum. :wink: Most want to do some appearance enhancements and performance mods. Mostly money (or more correctly the lack thereof) holding the majority of us back. Time, as with all things, will take care of that. Just difficult waiting for funds to more closely match desires. 8)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

grumpybcone6 wrote:the only body work that is gonna be done is a paint job...something to match the letters in the back window and to make it still look like a 4x4.........................
I feel like I can give you a little razz about this mod. I do have plenty of female friends in our off road 4x4 club here.

I just can't recall any of them trying to color coordinate their paint with a window decal. I am asking everyone else to remain silent while you educate us.

I do have to qualify one thing. If, it's primary purpose is to get you to work or school on a daily basis then just let us now and then anything you do has our blessings.
grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

well yes as of right now its only purpose is to get me to work. I dont feel safe with the tires on there to go off roading to much. but once i get the tires on there that i want i do plan on taking it off roading with a few friends of mine who have 4x4 jeeps. now when it comes to the paint job, its hard to explain through typing and without my truck right here in front of us. If you could see what type of letters that i have you might understand on where i am coming from. but its not the color i am trying to match to the letters (the truck is going blue and white) is the style of letter.... make any seense??
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

grumpybcone6 wrote:.... make any seense??
A little but, then, I keep thinking about what day this is. :wink:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

grumpybcone6 wrote: but once i get the tires on there that i want i do plan on taking it off roading with a few friends of mine who have 4x4 jeeps.
Make sure ya take along a winch or tow straps so ya can "help out" yer friends when ya go wheelin since ya got a CC an they only got "heeps". :lol:
grumpybcone6
Regular
Regular

Post by grumpybcone6 »

lol...thats funny.I already have some tow straps and it stays with me at all times just in someone is in need of my help :)