Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs

Post by green02crew »

My friend just asked me if I wanted two 30x9.5-15 Wrangler MTRs and I said well that'd be a lot of money since I just got new tires this fall and I'd have to buy 2 more. Then he said he'd just give me the 2 tires, but I'd still need to buy 2. The tires are practically new maybe only slight wear from a couple months use. What should I do? Any place to get 2 really cheap?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am seriously recommending them to be recycled. Think Green!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
vrodracing90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vrodracing90 »

I priced a set a Sams' warehouse and they were at a good price. What made them a lot cheaper than everyone else was installation and road hazard. Now I have had a set on my old z-71 and they are great tires.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I did end up purchasing 2 more and had all 4 mounted on some rims from the junkyard that are the stock N90s. For a small price, I'll use these as winter tires and my Firestone Destination A/Ts as summers. These have a much deeper tread for the deep snow. I will see how well they handle when it really begins to fly outside. Very easy to change summer to winter and no mount and balance fees for years to come.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
vrodracing90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vrodracing90 »

The ones that I had handled good and rode good. They were quiter than alot of MT's.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yeah they aren't overly loud for an MT. I expected louder but they aren't quiet either. So far so good with the tire, not much of an ice tire thats for sure but should I expect that with an MT? They are pricey but at this point I would purchase them again, time and wear will tell. If I don't get the mileage I am expecting they will be replaced with another brand.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have been through the wringer researching available tires for the district.
The Goodyear MTR has been an incredible survivor. Virtually puncture proof. They can run around with multiple nails and never lose air. Reasonable tread life. Great traction. Government pricing makes them one heck of a good deal. For an aggressive tire give the Goodyear MTR's a close look.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
vrodracing90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vrodracing90 »

As long as you rotate them you should get 35,000 and up on mileage. I had a set at 25,000 they still looked like new. In the mud they will go.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I noticed a trailer full of HUMVEE's coming from AM General the other day and saw they all had MT/R's on them. If the military uses them as standard issue, you know they must work pretty well. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Or that they were the lowest bidder.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The MT/R's are great tires! :rock:

With a good alignment and frequent rotations (every 3k miles) I was able to get 50k miles out of each of my first 2 sets and now I'm on my 3rd. 8)

They are great tires in the mud, on the rocks, and in unpacked snow, but they aren't so great on ice or packed snow.

The puncture resistance is amazing and I've never had a flat using these tires.

For those that don't know I work in a rock quarry with very sharp rocks and other hazards and 90% of the quarry vehicles we have use MT/R's.

The MT/R's have performed much better than any other tire that has been tried. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yesterday I pulled a three inch nail from one of the MTRs in the fleet. It had a slow leak for the past month and a half.
The sticky interior liner still amazes me. It really grabs the buff like no other tire. This is what seals to the intrusion and helps them hold pressure.
My biggest problem with them is availability. The Military and border patrol get the first consideration in the supply line.
The above post is right about low bid. The Government pricing is amazing. I can buy Goodyear at half dealer cost. They are a low bid tire, but there are also requirements for service life and performance that are part of the bid specifications.
You guys in Texas, watch for the surplus MTRs from the boeder patrol. One flat and they replace them. Cactus is hard on tires. I guess the needles are hollow? that is why they don't seal? I saw a load arrive up here from the border patrol surplus. The tires were $25 each and brand new. Some still with flashing on the tread. Repair a puncture and you have a nearly new tire for 1/10th retail pricing.
That deal may have been "found" as I have not seen more show up here.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

We stopped using the MT/Rs here in AZ in favor of the BFG A/Ts. Believe it or not, the ATs are a much more durable tire for our use. We used to go through MTRs left and right and most were disposed of with plenty of tread left. Until recently, I had never had the need to change a truck tire due to remaining tread. I did notice that twigs and branches in the sidewall were the culprit most of the time on the Good-for-only-a-year tires (I think the more rounded edge has something to do with this vs. the square edge of the BFG). My dos centavos.... 8)
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I too have gone the the BFG TAKO in the fleet. Most of it was an availability thing for me. They are priced a little higher than the MTR. They seem to be holding up to the rock pretty good. They don't do as well in the clay since they do not clean as well. Mileage is better.

I think either is a good choice.

Good to know my availability is going to "suck" soon. Border patrol will be getting first dibs on these too probably ;) Hopefully the military will stick with the MTR and we will both have a good supply for next year.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

HJ, I underestand about avabilityof tires. We have trouble getting larger sizes (11R22.5, 14.00 X 24). The powers that be have reduced the number of tires we can stock. There have been tims that we have had to down equipment because of a lack of tires. These same powers have also decreed that we have to run the tire until a tread depth if 2/32 is obatined. This practice has already caused three accidents in our district alone du to hydro planinf during rain stroms, not mention how it sucks in the snow.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]