Want to run 31 inch tires

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Mightym
Regular
Regular

Post by Mightym »

I just had my tire guy try to test fit some 31x10.50 R15 mud tires on my stock ZR5 wheels, and I didn't rub on the fenders at all, but frame rub was pretty bad and he thought it was to much and didn't recommend it. Should I go with the 31's and see if he would build up my stops a little or stick with some 30x9.50's? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have still got the big tire fever and am kinda dissapointed that I can't go very big on my crewcab. I had 33x12.50's on my 93 Amigo and I think 30's look small.

Thanks, Ron
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Each S-10 has it's own personality. What works on one may not another. With a TB crank, a spring pack or a set of shackles in the rear should allow 30/9.50s in the rear. I rubbed with 30/9.50s but, I had a wheel with less back space.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Mightym
Regular
Regular

Post by Mightym »

Well, my shop guy won't build up my turning stops a little, I guess he thinks he would be liable if something were to happen. He also won't put on the 31's with them rubbing the frame when I turn the wheel all the way. He did say if I could find somebody to build up the stops a little to prevent the 31's from rubbing he wouldn't have a problem putting the bigger tires on. I just don't know how he expects me to have someone build up the stops if I don't have the bigger tires to see how much I need to have them built up. So I don't know how to solve this. Does anybody know how much I would have to build up my turning stops to prevent 31x10.50 mud tires on stock ZR5 wheels with no spacers from rubbing on the frame when fully turned? Also is there any issue on the rear axle with leaf springs or frame with a bigger tire. My 30x9.50 mud tires cleared just fine.

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
Ron
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Since all trucks are not exactly alike, I'd say perhaps the best way to determine build-up factor you're asking about would be to put on a tire like you're wanting to use set the truck on the ground and turn the wheel to rub or near rub point and either measure stop current distance with a dial caliper or insert varying thickness of key-stock to discover how much additional material is needed. Then remove tire and go have someone who is willing to do the job for you unless you have capabilities and tools to do it yourself. You should check both sides as this measurement can vary from one side to the other. 8) Can't speak to the rear issue, no knowledge on that one. :shrug:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I just took mine to a muffler shop and showed him what steering stops were and asked him to lay a bead on my oem ones. he shrugged, walked, dragging his knuckles on the floor, over to the welder thingy and laid a bead on them. He asked if, it was ok, I had him give me a boost up into the cab and checked it. I asked him to lay another bead to it and it was done. $20 and relearning my steering limitations and I was good to go. We are talking about your stock CC wheel backspacing and 4.5" backspacing on after market wheels though. Sharpen up your searching skills and dive in. This has been covered a few times before. Brule and I have almost come to blows but, in the end, he was always correct on this issue.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Mightym
Regular
Regular

Post by Mightym »

Well I have been searching for a while and alot of people seem to have spacers or 33x9.50 tires, less backspacing or all three. I hadn't found anybody with factory wheels looking for a 31x10.50 fitment guide, no matter how i would word the search. Thanks for the suggestions from everyone it kinda confirms what my conclusions have come to. It sounds like it will be a try it until I get it right, since everybodies seems to be different. I noticed that the stops on the back of my LCA are already worn in quite a bit in the middle, might be pretty easy to find some welder to fill it in and then just tell him to build it up a little for me. The thing that sucks is that I dropped my truck off at the shop to have the front end checked out before I am heading to Utah at the end of the month, and I am going to need lower ball joints on both sides. which is better than what I was expecting to hear. Didn't expect him to tell me he wouldn't do the tires after he test fitted them for me. So now I will have to have him put them back on, I will have to make measurements, take them back off and put my old tires back on, then go get it welded "hoping my measurements are good" then go back and have him reinstall the tires. Well sorry for the long rant but I have had a long day and didn't think this would be the situation it has turned into.

Thanks, Ron
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Ron,

I am sincerely sorry that we cannot provide concrete answers. There are a lot of shades of gray when trying to do what these rigs were never intended to do. We just do not have black and white "cook book" answers. I hope you get things lined out for your trip.

I was lucky enough to sell my 30/9.50s after my fender trimming for somewhat of a decent price. I took a beating but, it could have been worse.

Feel free to post more questions or PM me and we can fine tune it with what little window of time that you have.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mightym wrote:...I hadn't found anybody with factory wheels looking for a 31x10.50 fitment guide, no matter how i would word the search
Can I run 31" MT's w/ 2BL + 1.5shackles + 1.5" T B
30's or 31's with a 2" bl
Cutting and fender flares
A few questions for you professionals
Geolandar M/T's and T-bar adjustment
HenryJ wrote:I do believe that with the stock wheels and just a little "crank" of the T-bars you will not rub running the Geolandar M/T's. The closest mine comes to rubbing is at full lock I have about 5/8" clearance on the frame (inside rear) The tires clear the fenders fine, and with the Bushwacker flares that I'm running I would be sure to have problems if anyone would. The flares mount inside the stock fender lip.[/url]
With 1.25" spacers on the front you will not rub the frame. It will rub the back of the fender, but a little cut / massage and that can be cured.
You can run 31" tires on the stock wheels and not rub the frame. It will require spacers on the front and a small 31 with rounded shoulders. You will rub the fender. This will only be possible with a t-bar adjustment and 2" BL.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Didn't put my stock Zr5 wheels with 31x10.50 tires on the CC until after I did my 2" BL. Have no rubbing problems, just wish now I would have tried it before the BL. I'm sure it would have rubbed like yours. If you don't want to do a BL, you might try a Tbar crank, 1.5" maybe. If no rubbing then, raise the rear to match.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I had the exact same issue, I wanted 31's but they rubbed the frame so I settled for 30's. I cranked my t-bars and did shackles in the rear. I know it isn't a great solution but at Napa they sell small wheel spacers that go on the stock lugs to push the wheels out about 1/4" or less. These are not as good as real spacers since they put more stress on the front end but they would most likely clear you the space from the frame. I'm sure some people would advise against this but they are cheap, and you would get rid of your rubbing issue. I have not personally run them but I can see them working.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Mightym
Regular
Regular

Post by Mightym »

Thanks for the extra links, because my searching has about wore me out, and I still hadn't found quite what I was looking for. I have got 1.5" Daystar greasable shackles in the rear and a Tbar crank in the front to even it out, My stock ZR5 flares have been removed, didn't like how they mounted down inside the front fender, I have no fender rub issues at all just frame. It could be that the tires he test fitted were slightly bigger that what I'm looking at getting. I'm looking to order some ProComp Xterrain's, they are 30.5" diameter and what he mounted was whatever he had in stock. my steeering stops are worn in the middle, so if I build it back up and add a little it might work. I wouldn't mind some nice spacers, but don't have the time or extra money to order some proper ones. Kinda got some close time constraints by the time I'm heading to Utah.

Thanks, and any other ideas are greatly appreciated.