Wheel Deal

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I ran into a sweet deal yesterday on my way to the hardware store. Here sets a '91 4door S-10 Blazer 4sale. I stopped to look and up comes the owner. 'Can I help you " he says. I look down at 4 brand new 275/60/15 Cooper Cobra Radial GTs on 3 3/4" set back 8"x15 alum. wheels, all looking as cheery and polished as the new tires. I think to my self "Why not", so my mouth opens up and I say," Want to trade wheels and tires". He walks over to my ZR5 wheels and 1/8" tread 255/70/15 Daytona SRs, sticks his finger in the tread and say " You got $50 it"s a deal". My ATM is fast. Nice wide ride. I'll be at the alignment shop in the morning. I do need 2" wider front flares now, anyone have any idea how to extend stock ZR5 front flares ? :?: :!:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Horsehammerr wrote:I ran into a sweet deal yesterday...275/60/15 Cooper Cobra Radial GTs on 3 3/4" set back 8"x15 alum. wheels,... Nice wide ride.
I'll say. Don't go with bigger tires and watch the rear of those fenders. With that rear spacing and the wider rim , you are going to be rubbing fenders for sure.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks for reminding me about the rear of the front fenders. I got out my sawsall and did the Skids cut on both sides, piece of cake ! Only problem is figuring out a good mod to the ZR5 flares. They are about 2 1/2" to narrow to cover the 3 3/4" back set 8" wheels with 275/60's. I plan on doing pretty much the same cut and bend on them as on the fenders, but I can't come up with a functional and decent looking outward extention. Any ideas from all these creative minds out here in S-10CREWCAB land ?? :idea: :idea: :?: I really prefer to modify original equipment. I don't see Bushwakers or LS-1's being wide enough. I'd love a set of Skids, but they seem to be like digging for gold.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Any way to get some pictures? Might be easier to come up with some ideas if we can see what we are up against.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

As soon as I make the elec. repair I'll do the rear edge mod on the front flares and remount them. I'll see if anyone has a computer friendly camera and post my problem.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I did the cut and tuck like the Slidz Flare fender cut to the rear edge of my front ZR5 flares. They conform to the fender cut great and look very uniform. If I could just come up with a way to set them out over the tires about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" more than stock, I'd be real satisfied and not have my side windows and mirrors covered with what ever I run over or through. Sorry, nobody home with a computer camera.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

How much room do you have at the back of the fender now?
I think you are the first to go wider rather than taller after the fender cuts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I have 4" at back and bobed the bottom inside corner of the bumper deflector off 3/4" to clear tire at full turn toward engine. I have 2 3/4" between tire and deflector at front with wheels straight. I went wider because I enjoy good control at speed ,cornering. I used to own an Xtreme and had a great time with it, but it could not handle construction job sites. Bad clearance and no traction when stuck in a hole. Thats why I went with the CC, a real 4 wheel compact that carries more than 2 or 3 people comfortably. And its a CHEVY !!! :speedy: :rock:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Finely came up with a fix to my over extended tires. They were past the ZR5 flares 1 3/4" at the top. All I could see in the rain or mud was a curtain of debris on both sides, front to back. I found some 6" wide 3/16" thick neoprene commercial grade wall base material. It comes in 4' lengths, perfect to extend my flares from 2" front tip to 1 3/4" top to 3" back tip. It's already the same dark gray as the flares and the color goes clear through. Looks a little like an add-on but not bad and they match in color. This is only on the fronts, the 3 3/4" back set 8 x 15 wheels and 275/60/15s flushed out with the rears perfect. :idea: 8)
brandons4door
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by brandons4door »

Lets see some pictures posted. :thumb: