Holy !!!! Turned keys, Spring works kit, tires and rims!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

popeye55

Holy !!!! Turned keys, Spring works kit, tires and rims!

Post by popeye55 »

I just finished raising the front with the keys...then I added a Boise Spring Works Kit, some ZR5 rims and Dayton TImberline M/T 235/75/15 tires....WOW This thind looks great!!!!! I am going to get some pictures as soon as this Ohio weather beaks. I gained 2 to 2.5 inchs in the front and I am sure of at least 4 in the rear. The BSW kit says on 1.5 to 2.5 but I followed the idiot proof instructions.....took several measurements before and after. the tires and rims were a wask as they were the same size as I took off. Agan wait till you see how much it raised my truck!! As far as the ride...I love it. It feels like a truck..firm solid ride, not bouncy or harsh IMO. I would recommend the mod to anyone looking for a lift not over the top. I will get some pictures as soon as I can......I here the rants already! :evil:
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Well I see I'm not the only who got PUMPED when I did all that to my truck this past month. My poor ZR2 won't be driven much anymore now that the CC looks like a winner. Looking forward to seeing it, and I'll be posting my pics after just a few more mods

:rock:
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Awesome, can't wait to see the pics. 8)

Before you take any pics, don't wait for the weather to break, get to an alignment shop immediately. You have drastically changed the angles your front wheels sit at. You need to get them realigned RIGHT NOW. Also, keep an eye on your CV boots. Tightening the torsion bars enough to gain 2.5" is going to put the half shafts at a really steep angle and others have had boots tear and sling grease about. I don't want to discourage you but, you're going to lose a lot of that 2.5" over the next hundred miles or so as the front end settles in. You'll still be higher than before but not quite as high as you are now.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

you'll love those timberland MT's :D that's an aggressive tire and has a long tread life.

they're basicly the exact same tire as the highly rated firestone destination, just cheaper.

look forward to seeing some pics
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
popeye55

Post by popeye55 »

Man I read...read...read and read posts. I had the alignment set up so a son as it was done, 9 miles later it was in the GM dealership getting done. They just bought some state of the art alignment rack and said it came out nicely for having the keys turned. I am sure it will settle but really it is the back end that suprised me... It's really up there so I hope it too will level out a bit!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

When you say you raised the front using keys, did you just turn the bolt that raises the front, or did you actually buy new keys and install them?

I may have missed something, just want to make sure.

The reason I ask is this: If you bought new keys for the torsion bars, and raised the truck that way, you'd be looking at a alot of front end problems.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:.............I may have missed something, just want to make sure...............
Holy Moderator resurrection Batman! He LIVES!!!!!! :P
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
popeye55

Post by popeye55 »

turned the bolt
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

if you just turn the keys,what's the boise spring kit?and what front end problem could hapend if we change the keys?i know ball join and axle boots problebut i tough if it 's posible to lower the front dif to corect the axle binding???
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

steaking of axle boots, my drivers side boot popped off and i tried to get it back on but i cant get it on all the way. is there a special way to do it or am i just being a wuss.
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Philippe,
Here is the Boise Spring Works Kit thread its some light reading for you! (Not related to t-bar cranking but common addition with it)
I think changing the keys with that cheaper 2" lift kit would be similar to cranking the torsion bars. There are some threads on those items too. I would say the only benefit to getting the keys over cranking the torsion bars is that it allows you to still adjust the z height for proper alignments. Wear would be higher than stock. I do not know about lowering the front differential.

HCO4x4,
I had my drivers side boot pop off as well. I took off the stock clamp and forced the boot on. I then used a large hose clamp to keep it tight on nice and tight. This has been about a year ago and it is holding tight. Passenger side has yet to come off but it also sits a little lower on that side. Cranking the t-bars doesn't always leave it perfectly level and its slightly lower on the passenger side. In hindsight I should have lowered the drivers side to match but I figure with a full tank and me sitting in it, its level. Maybe for the next alignment.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

If you start raising and lowering with the Torsion Bars you will have to get your alignment checked. Any up or down on Tbars changes the Camber and the Caster, even a little Toe-in or out occurs. All this misalignment really messes up the steer control and will wear out your tires in strange configurations. BEEN THERE DONE THAT ! :cry: :x
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HCO4x4 wrote:steaking of axle boots, my drivers side boot popped off and i tried to get it back on but i cant get it on all the way. is there a special way to do it or am i just being a wuss.
You need to remove the band-clamp and shove it back on. Trouble is it is difficult at best to find the correct size replacement clamp and it takes a special tool to reinstall properly and tight. I've fought my pass side outer for a while now and currently am just using a couple plastic zip-ties to hold it on. It's surprising how well they stay on and last. Not the best idea but it works. :roll:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

HOSE CLAMP !!!
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I had trouble getting my CV boot back on once the oem clamp was removed. I was installing a hose clamp. It finally dawned on me that I had raised the CC utilizing the frame as a jacking location and making the angle more severe. Once I lifted the CC at the LCA and placed a jack stand underneath it, the boot slid right back on. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

f9k9 wrote:Once I lifted the CC at the LCA and placed a jack stand underneath it, the boot slid right back on. :wink:
i was thinking that could work easier, and if not i will use a hose clamp. thanks
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Ohhh Haha good point I didn't think about that one! :thumb:
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

green02crew wrote:Ohhh Haha good point I didn't think about that one! :thumb:
I didn't either obviously. When it finally dawned on me it was like "duh" and wanted to kick myself in the butt, for wasting 2 hours wrestling with it. :wink:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:
Walt wrote:.............I may have missed something, just want to make sure...............
Holy Moderator resurrection Batman! He LIVES!!!!!! :P
Har Har Har. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Get im Walt!!! :kick: :lmao:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:Get im Walt!!! :kick: :lmao:
He should be able to "get 'em"! He's been asleep for the winter as in hibernation :wink:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

f9k9 wrote:He should be able to "get 'em"! He's been asleep for the winter as in hibernation :wink:
:roflmao: :lmao: :lol: Glad to see your "sense of humor" is alive and well. I'm still laughing. So's that mean we gotta be careful cause he just woke up and is hungry and ill tempered? :wink: