eagle alloy rims 15x8

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

eagle alloy rims 15x8

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

does anyone know if the eagle alloy rims series 187 with Offset: -30 mm and Backspace: 3 1/4 inch will fit on a stock 2002 sonoma crewcab 4x4 with 235/75/r15 bfgoodrich mud terrain tires?
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

eagle alloy rims 15x8

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

or do u think these tires and rims will fit with a 2 inch body lift :?:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I just put 15 x 8 alloys on mine, 3 3/4" Backspace. 275/60/15 Cooper Cobra Radial GT s. I know they are street tires and I've heard the street queen comments,but anytime some one wants to test the grip of these tires I'm there. I did have to do the SKIDZ Flare cut and bend to the trailing edge of the front wheel wells to clear the outer corner of the tread when full turn. I did the same cut to my ZR5 front flares to match the fender cut, worked perfect with 1 1/2" T bar crank. Also 3/4" bob on inside bottom corner of bumper air deflector. I'm trying to arrange for pictures, be patient please. :idea: 8)
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

do u think i get bfg mud trrrains 235/75/r15 and eagle alloy rims with 3 1/4 inch back spacing on a stock sonoma 4x4 or do u think ill need a 2 inch body lift
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

That is the stock tire size. Stock rims have 6" back spacing, with 3 1/4" back spacing your tires will set 4 3/4" further out from stock. That means your tires will for sure be out under the fender opening. YOU WILL RUB without at least cranking up your T bars,and doing a Skids Flare cut to the rear bottom edge of the front fenders. Even that will not stop the rear tires from hitting the fenders in a tight articulation. Are you really going Wheelin or just a little off road trailing ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The stock tire size is actually 235/70-15 which calculates to be 28" tall, the actual tire size is 28.2". The optional offroad tires are 237/75-15 which calculates to 29"and actually measure 28.9"

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I am running BFG 235x75x15 AT KO's right now. Trust me if you intend to do any serious wheeling you will NEED to crank up your front T bars. Where you run into trouble is on cornering through dips. The tire lugs will catch the front fenders. It will just make the situation less tolerable if you put on any tire/wheel combination that makes it stick out further than stock. So CRANK EM UP!!!! :wink:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

im just planing on doing a little offroading.....i have 31x10.50 bfg all terrains now on the stock rims....i would like to get the 235/75/r15 bfg mud terrains on there with some 15x8 eagle alloy rims series 187.....but i dont want to have to lift my truck unless i have to....are there any other options??? :?:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Your 235s will be about two inches shorter than the 31s you've been running. That will gain you 1" between the front tire and fender. Trust me, NOT ENOUGH, without a T-bar crank at least if you set the tires out wider with different rims. You WILL catch the fenders in dip-turns and any time you are sideways in mud/snow and hit rough spots that make the truck bounce diagonally while the wheels are in a skid-correcting action. Been there done that too many times. I cranked mine up 2" in front and am considering a little more. When the fenders and underbody get full of mud the truck rides lower and you're right back to hooking the front fenders again. Mud is HEAVY under the truck! :roll:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

can i get enough clearence with a 2 inch body lift?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

That'll certainly help but again if wider than stock marginal at best. 2" lift and 1-2" crank-much better. The crank will also stiffen the suspension slightly to help avoid bottom-outs. :)
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

On the driver door edge my 2002 ZR5 says on the FACTORY sticker 235/75/15 as the STOCK tire. MY Cooper Cobra Radial GT tires are 275/60/15,the measure 28 1/8" diameter, 10 3/8" cross section, 8 5/8" tread width. These are mounted on 8" wide 15" alloy wheels with 3 3/4" back space. I cranked my T bars up 3 complete turns on both sides for a 1 1/2" front lift. I then cut the bottom rear corners of the front fenders from the bottom ,up 13 5/8" starting 1 5/8" back. Compressed this wedge shaped piece back into the fender and screwed it in place. Sealed it and did the same thing to my ZR5 frontfenders.

After this I cut a 3/4" inside corner piece off the air dam on the bottom of the bumper. I now have 4" of clearance at the back of my front tires and 2 3/4" at the front. My front tiers stickout of the wheel wells 2" front 1 3/4" top and 3 1/2" back. I can't make them rub anywhere !! I did nothing to the rear wheel wells and they don't rub either, even though the are now flush with the outside of the stock ZR5 flares at the top. Any other information will have to wait on pictures.

If you don't plan to go WHEELIN forget about the body lift and raising the mass center of gravity, get yourself a set of heavy duty Bilstein shocks and urethane front stabilizer bar bushings. Then just enjoy the stable good control you will have, combined with the wider stance of the 8 x 15 alloys you've got. :shock: :o :D
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

All well and good hammerr but we were talking about BFG tires and if you check on their web-site (unless you own and run them like me) you'll find their mounted diameter is 29". Trust me, brand new they are all of that and perhaps a little more.
BTW they are the stock size on my CC and it's window sticker also. Not downing your tires but you need to look at the specs on the BFG's. They are hard to compare to other tires as their specs are somewhat unique down to and including their 3 ply sidewalls, 5 ply tread and rim reinforcement. Only rated at 6 ply but on the very high side of that rating. Not all tires are created equal. :mrgreen:

Description Sidewall MSPN Rim Width
Size Svc/Dsc SW MSPN Rim T/W on Rim Dia T/Dpth
LT235/75R15/C 104S RWL 51104 6 - 7 9.1 on 6.5 29 16/32

Rev/Mile Max Load/Max Psi
717 1985@50 BFG site if you'd like to check out other sizes as well: http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/index.jsp