2" suspention lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Regular
Regular

2" suspention lift

Post by newbie »

Hey guys, I found this suspention lift for 4WD S-10's from Rough Country, I was thinking about getting for my 02. But I know I have heard that other 2" kits are a waste because of bad ball joint angle, but this kit seems to have that worked out, So I was thinking about going with there 2" suspention and there 2" body for 4 inchs total, for under $800!!! But before I spend my hard earned savings, I refer to the Masters of all the Crew!! Tell me your thoughts, and what size tires you think I could cram in there, and I will be forever greatfull!!!! :D 8) :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't waste your money on a 2" suspension lift. Do a search here and read about them. It is not the ball joint angles that are all the problem. The CV angles are a problem too, as well as the alignment issues. Upper a-arms help with the alignment and upper ball joint angles sometimes.
None of the kits "have it figured out".
Sorry to burst your bubble, but save the $600 and just do a body lift.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Regular
Regular

Post by newbie »

THanks!!! I forgot to add the link for the kit, for additional info on it, they claim it is new and improved. http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_s10.html
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Like I said, it might help the upper ball joint angle, but does nothing to help the CV angle or lower ball joint angle. All it does it crank the t-bars far beyond what is possible with the stock indexers.

Do some reading. At least you will know what you are up against if you have a problem.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Regular
Regular

Post by newbie »

Yeah I have decided to save for a bigger kit, but just thought I would but it out there. THanks for the advise!!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Just gonna echo HenryJ here. Stay away from the 2" and 3" suspension lifts at all costs. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Cheaper solution would be to get your body lift, then do shackles or add a leaf, boise spring kit etc. and a t-bar crank or just turn them up a little enough to clear whatever size tires you want. That'll get you your 4" of lift (about) plus add the height of new tires and you've got a pretty high s-10. Don't forget you'll need wheel spacers to get the wider tires to fit. Then flares to cover the fenders. Basically just read this thread: Marvelous Mystery Lift
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
blks10
Crew
Crew

Post by blks10 »

I know I am digging up an old thread, but I was wondering who has done the 2" suspension lift? I have seen everyone saying not to do it, but people must still be doing it if they keep making products for it. Thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You may need to check another forum as I don't think anyone here is using one.

Just because they still have them available may mean they have not been able to sell them, not that they are still making them.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
One Nut

Post by One Nut »

HenryJ wrote:You may need to check another forum as I don't think anyone here is using one.

Just because they still have them available may mean they have not been able to sell them, not that they are still making them.
Not entirely true I've installed one on my 02 CC. Rough Country is FOS on using the stock wheels and the alignment issues have not been fixed by them or the the brake caliper hitting the A-Arm oops... however my truck aligned OK not great but good enough to keep the tires from wearing out too soon. The key is to install the new pork chops and turn them all the way down yes down as low as they will go but keep the truck level side to side. This will give you a very slight + camber leaving a very small window for adjustment. The caster angel will not make the spec I got 1.5* S/B 1.8* - 3.7* and cause the truck to pull slightly to one side and I do mean slight. Toe is not an issue. The CV angles are steep but do NOT bind unless the front wheel is within 1" of full drop of the A arm. Now the ride is good the Goodyear MTR's 31X10.5X15 on black Rock Crawlers have plenty of room to clear. I did as a precaution gently persuade the fenders back a touch and wala done deal. Now I'm thinking of a 2" body lift for just a bit more lift. I am currently looking to scrap the entire front IFS and go straight axle. Can I get a Dana 44 and convert the front axle ends so I can retain the stock anti lock brake set up? Also know of a way to achieve the proper alignment by modding the R/C upper A-arm
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the forum. Be sure and post up results 10K from now.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
mcluvin
Regular
Regular

Post by mcluvin »

just wondering is the cv axle the same on the zr2 as on our cc? or does it have a completly difrent front end