Wheel size and allignment

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Smackre
Regular
Regular

Wheel size and allignment

Post by Smackre »

New rims and tires. Id like to get a new rim that doesnt look stock but also looks truckish. All the rims I have looked at look like sport car rims. If anyone can point me in the direction for rims that cost less than around 100$ a peice that would be great.

Also I need some new tires. Now I just started doing alittle more offroading and etc so Id like something with alittle bit more tread than stock. But not huge tread because they make alot of road noise ive herd. id also like to get wider than stock. How wide can I go stock? Ive seen people say that 30X9.5 will rub alittle bit.

Also about a year ago I hit a pole with the front of the truck and it seems to be out of align or something. May be the tires. But if I want to go strait i half to turn the wheel to the side slightly. Do you guys think hitting a pole in the middle of the front end would mess up the alignment.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I like these Pontiac wheels they look truck tough and are lightweight Size 8x16 Tires 235-70/16 :D

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Smackre
Regular
Regular

Post by Smackre »

Is there anywhere that fixes stock rims? The powercoat on mine is pealing and the machined part is all gualed up. I like the rims they are just in bad shape. If not I am most likely going to buy some new rims or something.

Also does the Crew cab come with a donut or a real spare? Because I blew a tire for the first time the other day and took the tire out and it was a donut. I was abit suprised.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Crews came with full size spare on early years and later ones like my 2004 got just the donut unless you paid extra for the full size spare. Strip and powder coat would most likely be the only way to clean up the stock rims.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Smackre wrote:New rims and tires. Id like to get a new rim that doesnt look stock but also looks truckish. All the rims I have looked at look like sport car rims. If anyone can point me in the direction for rims that cost less than around 100$ a peice that would be great.
Try the search link at the top of the page. There aren't many members here that haven't replaced their stock rims. There's quite a variety available.
Smackre wrote:Also I need some new tires. Now I just started doing alittle more offroading and etc so Id like something with alittle bit more tread than stock. But not huge tread because they make alot of road noise ive herd. id also like to get wider than stock. How wide can I go stock? Ive seen people say that 30X9.5 will rub alittle bit.
Some here have reported rubbing with stock tires on stock rims. It depends on how much you flex the suspension among other things and how much "rub" is too much to you.
Smackre wrote:Also about a year ago I hit a pole with the front of the truck and it seems to be out of align or something. May be the tires. But if I want to go strait i half to turn the wheel to the side slightly. Do you guys think hitting a pole in the middle of the front end would mess up the alignment.
Yes, hitting a pole even dead center is enough to knock something out of alignment. It doesn't cost much to get the wheels aligned at all. Compared to how much it will cost you in worn tires and other repairs if you don't. I'd wait until you get your new tires and rims to do it though. You're likely going to be adjusting your T-bars after you read a few threads. You'll need to re-align after adjustment anyway.
Smackre wrote:Is there anywhere that fixes stock rims? The powercoat on mine is pealing and the machined part is all gualed up. I like the rims they are just in bad shape. If not I am most likely going to buy some new rims or something.
Check ebay. There are plenty of people that have replaced their stock rims and looking to sell the originals. You should be able to pick up replacements for less than the cost of repairing yours.
Smackre wrote:Also does the Crew cab come with a donut or a real spare? Because I blew a tire for the first time the other day and took the tire out and it was a donut. I was abit suprised.
Depends on which year it is. The '01s and a lot of '02s came with full size spare on a steel rim. The late '02s thru '04s came with temporary spare. Also different interior fabric, fixed rear cab window (as opposed to slider), no under hood light, different rear axle/gear ratio, and I'm surely forgetting a few other differences.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Smackre
Regular
Regular

Post by Smackre »

Thanks for the great info. I am thinking about going with Outlaw II Series 62's. And hopefully using 265/70R15 on it after. Planned on lifting the frontend with the tbar. Do you guys think I will have trouble with the 265/70R15's if I lift the tbar some.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Maybe yes Maybe no, each of our trucks seem to have quite a bit of variation, some rub with stock tires some get by with 30's with just a t-bar tweak and shackles with some spacers. You may have to test fit one of the tire/rim combos out to see if it will clear. Otherwise it's time for a little BFH and sawzall action.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Smackre
Regular
Regular

Post by Smackre »

How will it change my gas mileage / speed and etc? can I adjust this stuff?
going from 235/70r15 to 265/70R15
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
235/70-15 6.5in 14.0in 28.0in 87.8in 722 0.0%
265/70-15 7.3in 14.8in 29.6in 93.0in 681 5.9%

Speedometer reading with new tire is 5.92% too slow.
Assuming 3.73 gear ratio stock you will be at 3.53
When your speedometer is reading 60mph you are actually traveling 63.35mph.

Easy way to adjust is with a Hypertec programmer
You will most likely loose a little mileage but not much
Smackre
Regular
Regular

Post by Smackre »

Thank you
Smackre
Regular
Regular

Post by Smackre »

what backspace should I aim for? The rims I was planning on getting bad a back spacing of 6".
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

That is stock for our trucks so will be fine. Most of us are also running spacers in front 1-1.5" rear up to 3" to even out the track and get the wheels out toward the corners more.