Properly aligned?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Properly aligned?

Post by turkeestalker »

When I had new tires installed yesterday, I asked for a front end alignment, which they say that they did. When I bought the truck, the lower ball joints were replaced due to failing the safety inspection, seller's expense. The mechanic told me at the time that no alignment was needed. I wasn't buying it. After joining here, I knew it needed one. Figured it could wait for the new tires, the old ones were virtually shot anyway. I could physically see the tires leaning in at the top when I would stand in front of the truck. When I stood in front of the truck after it was supposedly aligned, they still seemed to slightly lean in at the top, just not as dramatically. I placed a two foot level on them this afternoon, just to see. The bubble is buried against the outside on both sides, confirming what my eyes seem to catch. This is not right as far as I know. Should I raise the devil with the shop, or could it be aligned the best that they were able considering some other factor? They never mentioned anything other than telling me that it was properly aligned. Is there something that I don't understand about our suspensions that would make this the norm? ER....UM.....YEAH! There is a lot I don't understand, but this isn't right is it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It may be ok. Do you lift weights?
:lol: That question is not out of left field like you might think.

Add your weight in the driver seat. Barbell weights are one way. Bags of dog food, or a friend might suffice too. Make sure the truck has a full tank of fuel and the average load on board. Jounce it and roll it back and forth a few times.
Then step back and take a look. Is it better?

If it is not and looks worse take it back for an alignment. This time ask for a copy of the spec sheet before and after.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

After I turned my Torsion bars up to level the front to the rear, my tires leaned in at the top like 1 1/2". I got my 8" x 15" wheels with 3 3/4" back space and 275/60 Cooper Radial GTs mounted all around. Then aligned and the front end stood then and still stands perfectly plumb. Thats straight up and down with 0 tilt. I can push this truck through any turn as fast as I have guts and traction to go. This alignment has been like this from the start for 5000 miles . 2002 ZR5 S-10 Crew Cab :yikes: :speedy: :rock:
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

I pushed the issue with the tire store when I returned to have the tires swapped out. They insisted that it was properly aligned on the previous visit, but when I picked it up with the new tires, the lean was virtually undetectable, though a level still shows it being there. Since I do not fully understand everything about our suspensions, I think that I will take it to another shop and ask them to check the alignment just for a second opinion, just for my own peace of mind.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

What are your alignment specs right now?

I have a Hunter alignment manual with specs for all domestics and imports if you need help. :wink:

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hey Steve, any suggestions for my CC alignment ,driven primarily on flat dirt and sanded dirt roads, with a 300lb fat a** like me sitting on the right side and nobody in the driver's seat? Sounds like you're pretty deep into this steering geometry thing so I thought I'd ask your opinion. (Other than loosing weight which I've been working on for over a year and have lost some)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

roadrunner wrote:Hey Steve, any suggestions for my CC alignment ,driven primarily on flat dirt and sanded dirt roads, with a 300lb fat a** like me sitting on the right side and nobody in the driver's seat?
The factory settings for 2000 to 2004 4wd S10's are:

Left Caster (Min) +1.8 (Max) +3.8 (Preferred) +2.8
Right Caster (Min) +2.3 (Max) +4.3 (Preferred) +3.3
Left & Right Camber (Min) -1.0 (Max) +1.0 (Preferred) 0.0
Left & Right Toe-In (Inches) (Min) -0.05 (Max) +0.15 (Preferred) -0.05 Each Side Or -0.10 Total Toe

I would stay close to factory caster & toe-in settings plus 0 camber.

Something like this should work:

Left Caster +3.5
Right Caster +4.0
Left & Right Camber 0.0
Left & Right Toe-In (Inches) -0.10 (Total Toe)

When you have the aligment done it is important to make sure you have 1/2 tank of gas plus any other weight you normally carry (including yourself) in the truck to simulate the "average weight".

If they won't let you sit in the vehicle when they do an alignemnt make sure they put 300 lbs in the seat that you sit in. :wink:

Your alignment will be more precise and your tires will last longer if you do it this way.

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Thanks for the info and advice Steve. I'll see if the local shop will oblige my wishes.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.