? about t-bar crank

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

TUDDA
Regular
Regular

? about t-bar crank

Post by TUDDA »

When cranking the t-bar ,do the top of the tires travel out or in ? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

In. Creating negative camber.

The upper a-arm is shorter and travels in a tighter radius than the longer lower a-arm.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jflatley
Crew
Crew

Post by jflatley »

So, I have another question about cranking the Torsion Bars.

I did the torsion bar crank today, I cranked them until the tires were the same distance from the fender (after a trip or two around the block to settle). I took it over to the local alignment shop after I was done for an alignment, Expecting to pick it up tomorrow. I got a phone call saying that they looked at my truck and that I didn't ned an alignment. He said that it was the tires.

He said that the mechanic took it around the block, didn't feel any pull or anything and that he put it on the machine and everything specked out.
My tires are old but they still haven't reached the point to replace them yet. I told hiom what I did, and he didn't change his answer.

Is he wrong or am I missing something here. I didn't think you could mess with that stuff without having to get an alignment.

Thoughts, comments, Please.

Should I go to another shop and have them look at it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jflatley wrote:Should I go to another shop and have them look at it.
Yes.
Be sure to have the "normal" load in the truck during the alignment. I like a full tank of fuel as I stay on the top half. I also use barbell weights in the drivers seat to represent my weight.

There is an off chance that you did raise it back up to a point that is correct, but I doubt that. I sure could be wrong. Tires do make a difference and they do all need to have the same air pressure, but they are not going to change the alignment as long as they are close in size. If they are badly worn and rotating to the back will not clean them up, then new tires might be a consideration.
Stand back far enough to sight down the side and see if the front and rear tires are parallel. Negative or positive camber is pretty easy to see. That would be a tell tale sign that something is off. A little negative camber without your weight may be "normal" as that will disappear as weight is added.

I would get a second opinion. Driving it and telling you it doesn't need alignment, is not the way to do things. A test drive after the alignment makes more sense.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jflatley
Crew
Crew

Post by jflatley »

That is what I thought, thanks for th input.

I guess I will hit up another shop tomorrow.

I bought a set of shackles from Jigg at Syneryoffroad the other day, they should be arriving shortly. Than I think that I am done with lifting. Now I think I will put a few bucks into performance.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wait for the shackles before you do the alignment. Raising the rear could alter the caster. Best to have all the suspension work done prior to an alignment.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jflatley
Crew
Crew

Post by jflatley »

Alright Thanks